Why I feel Judo isone of the best Martial Arts for REAL WORLD Self Defense...

Discussion in 'Judo' started by pakarilusi, Jul 29, 2010.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Really, I'm serious. Here are some reasons why... (Remember, this is just MY opinion...)

Remember, Self Defense. Not fighting in the UFC. Which means escaping most of the time. Or surviving clinch range.

These apply to Judokas who have had at least a year's worth of training imho... (Meaning that he/she need not be a Black Belt in Judo.)

- You are trained to escape holds on your body and more importantly grabs on your clothes, so you can run away... Even on the ground. (or escape to a better position to escape.)

- You can use the attacker's clothing or your own clothing as a weapon. Even a T-shirt will do if you know how... (If any of you are a clothed that is... :))

- Using the ground as a weapon. (Throwing the attacker hard on it that is...)

- Off balancing and felling your attacker without resorting to striking. Better legally if it gets to the courts imho...

- General full body toughness and comfort in yanking and being yanked around. And thrown too.

- Generally good cardio and flexibility to actually run away!

- Great ability at breakfalls, which is just good in life generally...

Just my thoughts on why I feel Judo isone of the best Martial Arts for REAL WORLD Self Defense...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

yep judo is great.

Lots of combat sports share qualities similar to the ones you mentioned.

3. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

True, but THIS IS the Judo Forum. :rolleyes:

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Nothing to add here other than to say judo is also a great base art for those who may wish to investigate others.

5. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

That is very true koyo. :cool:

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I was saying that I agree with you bro...

7. koyo

Every serious student of martial arts should check out this icon.

I have a film of him and friends who are long time trainers and teachers in numerous arts.

When ever I show them the film..Smiles and silence all round.

Kyuzo Mifune.

Attached Files:

8. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I know, I was just messin' wit'chu! :)

Thanks btw! :cool:

9. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I used Judo once in a self-defense situation. It worked flawlessly (meaning I survived uninjured).

I wonder if it's possible to pull off the fireman in a street fight?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've heard it described as pub fighting in pyjamas, not meant in a derogatroy fashion.

I still think striking holds the key place in SD but Judo officially rocks real hard.

Mitch

11. koyo

Glasgow pub story.

A big guy snarls at a wee guy "This my pub,I am a regular Ive been drinking here for ten years!"

Wee guy says "You better go home then your wife will be worried about you!"

Big guy grabs the wee guy by the shoulder.

Head butt and osoto gari. I'm sure if the big guy had gotten up a punch may have been used.

(I'm just keeping in with Mitch):evil:

12. Mitch

Head butt came first :D

Mitch

But edit to add, I love Judo and wish I had the time to do more, what a fantastic art.

13. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

You know what? I'd like to learn Judo.

My grampa taught Judo in WW2....

14. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

I've never heard of it being done, but by god that would about the manliest thing one could possibly do, with the posable exception of uchi-mataing a bear. (that'll show it for standing up on its hind legs!)

15. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Captain Kirk used it countless times to defend himself against Klingons, Andorians, The Gorn, etc. Double shuto to the trapezius followed by Tomoe Nage.

Or was that jujutsu ......

16. Mitch

If it's good enough for Kirk it's good enough for anyone!

Mitch :D

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What I find interesting is how Judo/Kano jiujitsu has been in the UK as long, if not longer, than Karate has been in Japan or longer than TKD as an entity has existed and yet it has been largely ignored over the years as each wave of martial arts has been in vogue.
    And yet, a very functional and pragmatic martial art with all of the good points highlighted by the OP has been under our noses all along.
    I find that interesting. How something new and exciting can replace something already in place even if it's not actually as good as what was already there.

18. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Actually lots of the old 'karate' guys did Judo. Superfoot Wallace was first a judo guy before his knee got screwed up. You can see a video of Benny the Jet doing a judo throw during a kickboxing match because he got angry because he thought the other guy was cheating (hitting him with knees in clinch, low kicks, elbows, etc). EDIT: See 3:19 of this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7beh4v5c5c"]YouTube- Benny Urquidez[/ame]

Jon Bluming is well known for both Kyokushin and Judo. It seems cross-training with a striking and grappling style was lost...but I think that is partially to do with how busy and frantic the pace of life has become.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  19. Mitch

And of course the same is true of the early TKD practicioners, many of whom were Judo Dan Grades.

Mitch

20. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Definitely true Mitch. I was including them in 'karate guys' since they really were. Our korean master has a Judo Dan Grade and he said many of the old 'korean karate' guys back in Korea practiced Judo as well.