Why i don't believe in the Trinity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Apr 16, 2012.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If I remember right early Christianity was not unified in its beliefs or dogma. Some groups did not even believe in the divinity of Jesus. Whole lines of thought and belief were removed grom the "official" church teachings.

The irony still remains.

Carry on.

2. zakariyya21

zakariyya21 Valued Member

hmm still no answers for my questions.

In the time of Jesus (pbuh) which of his companions worshiped him?

In the time of Jesus (pbuh) which of his Companions mentioned trinity?
    Again you can bring no answers because the word trinity is not mentioned in the bible.

3. zakariyya21

Even the books Matthew Mark Luke and John are written by anonomous writers, they left no last name.

Trinity is setting up partners with God seeing as Jesus (pbuh) never ever claimed to be God, so other people who came after his companions made him out to be a God.

Also like I said the concept of trinity can be disproved by the statement of Jesus (pbuh).

You heard that I said to you, I go away, and I will come to you. If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I'" (John 14:28).

This means they were not co equal, which in turn means there is no trinity.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

True.

Huh? I've never heard that before. It goes against the whole resurrection thing, no?

Blatantly not true.

Indeed, it is ironic that the history of Western Europe is more or less the history of the Roman Catholic Church, yet so many of us are clueless when it comes to Church history and teachings. Weird.

All of them.

All of them. The Apostles got the teaching from Jesus and passed it on to their disciples, who passed it on, and so on down the line.

Not relevant (link).

Zak, do you honestly, for two seconds, believe that nobody every raised those arguments when the Nicene Creed was debated?

5. zakariyya21

hmmm no where in the quran does it tell us to read the Bible, this is a misconception a lot of Chritians hold due to misunderstanding the Qur'an.

This can be shown easily by the fact no where in the Quran is the word Bible.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  6. aikiMac

The communities that received them, knew who wrote them. Hello.

Strawman argument. That's not the Christian definition. Fail.

7. zakariyya21

You say all of them then bring your proof from the scriptures you have with you today, If you say the apostles worshiped Jesus (pbuh) then there must be a reference in the Bible. But there is none. In the entire new testament not one place is Jesus worshiped by his companions.
    So your answers are very strange and also textless.

8. zakariyya21

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

AikiMac, the history of the early church predates the Roman Catholic church. BTW, what happened to the Gnostic teachings, beliefs and books?

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I won't know since last time I went to catholic church was back in 1965.

It was true that I had to learn Latin in the church. We also sing Latin song in Mass.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't have choice. The only name that I know about my church is in Chinese "圣言会(Latin: Societas Verbi Divini,(SVD);English:Divine Word Missionaries" which I have to google with that Chinese name "圣言会". When I google in Chinese, I only get Chinese result. I then have to use online translator to translate it. Most of the time, the online translator doesn't do a good job.

I assume I can use the English result such as "Divine Word Missionaries" after translation to google for the 2nd time.

12. aikiMac

Sura 6:154-158, and 39:23, and 39:41, and 40:53, and 40:70, and 46:10-12 are a few.

The Koran frequently references the story of Moses and his brother Aaron leading the Israelites out of Egypt, but the story itself is nowhere in the Koran. You can't know the story if you don't read the Bible.

Likewise, the story of Lot and the destruction of Sodom in mentioned but not told in the Koran. You can't know the story if you don't read the Bible.

King David and King Solomon, Noah, Elisha, Ishmael, Isaac and Jacob, John the Baptist, and maybe some others -- they are mentioned but their stories are not told. For example, the Koran says at 17:55 that David wrote the Psalms. Where are the Psalms? They're in the Bible, not in the Koran itself.

Agreed, but I think it's variously called "the Book" or "the Law."

Can you quote me the language with "partners"? Or any language saying that Christians have more than one God? I didn't find it.

The word "partners" is in the Koran all over the place, and the clear meaning of those verses is a condemnation of polytheism. To put it more simply, Allah does not share his heavenly throne with anyone. There is only one God. That teaching is shared in Christianity. Christians are fiercely monotheistic. There is only one God.

So, unless you can point to something polytheistic in a Christian writing, you're not arguing against Christianity.

For example, somewhere the Koran defines the trinity as God the Father + Jesus the son + Mary the mother of Jesus. That's a false trinity. That's not the Christian version. Christians agree with the Koran that Mary is not to be worshipped as a god. Venerated, yes, but worshipped as a god, never.

13. aikiMac

I don't understand your first point. All Catholic Churches (including the Roman one) and all Eastern Orthodox Churches have the same root. They all begin in the Book of Acts. For about 1000 years the eastern and western branches were united as a single body.

Gnosticism was rejected as early as the lifetime of the Apostles themselves. The Apostle John's epistles are written against it. The teachings and books largely went away, sometimes under force, I'm sure.

Christians are not confined to the text of the Bible. Well, some confine themselves to it (Baptists, for example), but historically, from the era of the Apostles themselves, oral teachings have lived side-by-side with the written Bible.
    But if you must have a Bible verse, here's one: John 20:28, "my Lord and my God!"

And then you'll say whatever-whatever, Thomas wasn't really calling Jesus "God." And then I'll say, from the very beginning that verses has been interpreted as Thomas calling Jesus "God," and Jesus accepting it.

14. zakariyya21

Nice answer, but the problems you face are these facts.

Number one In Islam we're taught that the divinely inspired books are as follows The books of Abraham, (pbuh) The Torah of Moses, (pbuh) the Zabur of David, (pbuh) the Injeel of Jesus (pbuh) and the Qur'an sent to Muhammad (pbuh).
    Now as you probably already know the muslim believes All the previous nations either deviated from their religion or changed their scripture. Now the mistake the Christian makes is the Injeel reffered to in the Qur'an, it's case is similar to the case of Abraham's book, we can't find it The Injeel to the muslim is not the new testament, It's the Injeel of Jesus (pbuh), the Christian however has the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, who nobody knows who exactly they are. So not the Injeel of Jesus.

Now with regard to us reading the Bible according to my knowledge this action was disliked (not forbbiden) by the Prophet Muhammad as sited in these hadeeth:

Umar -- Allah be well-pleased with him -- came to the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- and said: "We hear from the Jews narrations that impress us, do you think we should write down some of them?" The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- replied: "Are you all going to fall into the same chaos (amutahawwikun) in which fell the Jews and Christians? I brought it [the Religion] to you pristine and pure. If Musa were alive, he would have no alternative but to follow me!"

Another version states that `Umar -- Allah be well-pleased with him -- passed by a man who was reciting a book, so he listened for a while and was pleased with what he heard. He asked the man: "Can you copy what is in that book?" He replied yes, whereupon `Umar bought a piece of hide for himself and brought it to the man who copied on its front and back [in Arabic].17 Then `Umar brought it to the Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- and began to read it back to him. At the same time the Prophet's -- Allah bless and greet him -- face changed color. Whereupon one of the men of the Ansar [`Abd Allah ibn Zayd]18 slapped down the book with his hand and said: "May your mother lose you, Ibn al- Khattab! Can you not see the face of Allah's Messenger since you began to read from that book?" The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- then said: "I was not sent except as an opener and a sealer. I was given the pithiest expressions with the vastest meanings and the openings of all discourse with true concision. Therefore let not those who are in chaos induce you into chaos."

15. zakariyya21

Now your point regarding Mary (pbuh) and the trinity, In the time of prophet Muhammad (pbuh) there must have been a group amongst the Christians who believed this seeing as none of the Christians at the time refuted the Quran on this point, and the companions of the prophet Muhammad went to two main hubs of the Christianity at the time Abysinia and Rome. In fact The king of abysinia at the time accepted Islam his scribes and preists were known for their knowledge of the scriptures but never refuted the Quran on this point.

16. aikiMac

Or, it's the other way around. The mistake might be other way around. Maybe the Injeel of Jesus is his oral teachings to his disciples, and what they wrote down, and it's you who made the mistake of ignoring it. See, we do know who wrote the four gospels. Matthew and John were two of the Twelve Apostles, and Mark and Luke were companions of Apostles.

I'm just saying, don't be so quick to assume that you know everything. Walk in the other's guys shoes before attacking. The objections that you've brought so far are trite, because they were addressed and closed up centuries ago.

I don't know what you mean, "refuted the Quran on this point." Do you mean that the Christians way-back-then agreed that the Quran was correct in denying that Mary was part of the trinity? If so, that's not "refuting" the Quran. That's agreeing with the Quran, which is what I did. Or do you mean that the Christians back then believed that Mary was part of the trinity, but kept it to themselves? If so, I seriously doubt you.

17. zakariyya21

Then We gave Moses the Scripture, making complete [Our favor] upon the one who did good and as a detailed explanation of all things and as guidance and mercy that perhaps in [the matter of] the meeting with their Lord they would believe.
    And this [Qur'an] is a Book We have revealed [which is] blessed, so follow it and fear Allah that you may receive mercy.
    [We revealed it] lest you say, "The Scripture was only sent down to two groups before us, but we were of their study unaware,"
    Or lest you say, "If only the Scripture had been revealed to us, we would have been better guided than they." So there has [now] come to you a clear evidence from your Lord and a guidance and mercy. Then who is more unjust than one who denies the verses of Allah and turns away from them? We will recompense those who turn away from Our verses with the worst of punishment for their having turned away.
    Do they [then] wait for anything except that the angels should come to them or your Lord should come or that there come some of the signs of your Lord? The Day that some of the signs of your Lord will come no soul will benefit from its faith as long as it had not believed before or had earned through its faith some good. Say, "Wait. Indeed, we [also] are waiting." (surah 6:154-158)

Allah has sent down the best statement: a consistent Book wherein is reiteration. The skins shiver therefrom of those who fear their Lord; then their skins and their hearts relax at the remembrance of Allah . That is the guidance of Allah by which He guides whom He wills. And one whom Allah leaves astray - for him there is no guide.
    (Surah 39:23)

Indeed, We sent down to you the Book for the people in truth. So whoever is guided - it is for [the benefit of] his soul; and whoever goes astray only goes astray to its detriment. And you are not a manager over them. (Surah 39:41)

And We had certainly given Moses guidance, and We caused the Children of Israel to inherit the Scripture (Surah 40:53)

Those who deny the Book and that with which We sent Our messengers - they are going to know, (Surah 40:70)

Say, "Have you considered: if the Qur'an was from Allah , and you disbelieved in it while a witness from the Children of Israel has testified to something similar and believed while you were arrogant... ?" Indeed, Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people.
    And those who disbelieve say of those who believe, "If it had [truly] been good, they would not have preceded us to it." And when they are not guided by it, they will say, "This is an ancient falsehood."
    And before it was the scripture of Moses to lead and as a mercy. And this is a confirming Book in an Arabic tongue to warn those who have wronged and as good tidings to the doers of good. (surah 46:10-12)

Hmmm in none of the references you have given have I seen read the Bible in fact in all of them it tells makind, to accept the Quran and Islam as their religion as the previous books and messengers bore witness to this revelation to come this Quran.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  18. zakariyya21

Ignore the first post regarding it and read the second I clarified myself and I'm not attacking this belief I'm questioning it sorry if I've made you feel this way.

Anyway my question is where in the Quran does it say Mary is part of the trinity?

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

While many gnostics identified themselves as Christians, the epistles suggest that the mainstream church always saw them as not being true Christians (many of the examples of false teachers in them would have applied to gnostics). As it was a hangover of Alexandrian schools of thought, it appears to have waned as time wore on, and was pretty much a fringe belief in Christian circles by the 4th century. What happened to the books? People stopped writing them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  20. aikiMac

In my English translation, the "and this" in chapter 6 refers to the book of Moses, not the Koran. But either way, these very verses tell makind to accept the previous books and messengers. They reference the past for authority. The Koran is true because it is the same message that came before. That's outright the test. It's a "confirming book," chapter 46, confirming the message that came before. And how do you know what it confirms? You read what came before!

Where are the stories of Noah and of Lot that you are supposed to confirm?Where are the stories of Abraham, Isaac, Ishmael, and Jacob that you are supposed to confirm? Where are the stories Moses and Aaron confronting Pharaoh, that you are supposed to confirm? Where are the stories of Kings David and Solomon that you are supposed to confirm? Where are the psalms that David wrote under the guidance of Allah? Where are the stories of John the Baptist that you are supposed to confirm?

It's crystal clear that the Koran is pointing you to the Bible.

I don't have any problem laying the Koran next to the Bible and reading both of them. Why you have a problem with that, is baffling. :confused: