Why France and UK go opposite in wrestling styles (Pure Arms VS Leg Use)? Unlike Savate VS Boxing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SlamDunkerista, Feb 9, 2023.

1. This was created by someone else and its precisely why I created some of the recent threads (not just the use of Football Techniques in street fights but the questions on Sports and historical Swordsmanship).

This was published was multiple other websites so its not my original content but as I said its what inspired me to ask a bunch of questions. For the specific link I copied and pasted the quote can be found here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Frenchhist...pj/why_did_france_and_britain_go_opposite_in/

That said I am intrigued too. Despite so many posters getting historical facts wrong on this website and repeating the good old "fists only" stereotyped of British fighters (which is so freaking wrong not only as proved by football used by untrained fighters but the quoted posts easily disprove even in sports combat), it seems a paradox considering how much Savate VS Boxing takes up so much historical debates regarding legs against fists in street effectiveness. All you merely have to do is peak at Wikipedia's articles on wrestling styles featured in the Olympics. The simple fact Freestyle came from British wrestling styles (in particular Catch Wrestling) yet uses a lot of leg moves and still is the dominant style in Britain today and Greco-Roman is the prime one in France with its strict upperbody only moveset really is an interesting case study to explore.

And in addition to using football kicks, Freestyle along with with some of its still somewhat widely practised predecessor styles (namely catch wrestling) still can be found across the UK without much difficult searching....... Completely shows the stereotype that Brits only use fists and don't know anything about using the legs in fights before Eastern styles were introduced in Asia is absolutely wrong.