why fewer and fewer persons come to dojo to practice?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by arctos725, Apr 20, 2010.

1. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

No change to our dojo and sensi. But fewer and fewer persons come to practice. We had more than 20 persons at each time, but now it is aways less than ten. I am confusing. Our dojo had been in this city for more than three years. But now I don't know how long it could survive. It looks few young guys have interest in it. I am sad.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you are running a gym or dojo... it takes constant promotion to keep the numbers on the higher side until you build that core group of followers.

A few things your dojo can try to increase return rate is:

1) evaluations... what goals are set for students?

2) promotions... is there a way to constantly get on the radar of members and stay there? Mailers, blog, website, email, paper and local mag ads etc.

3) is the dojo clean and inviting?

4) does the dojo do any events outside to promote knowledge of the art... embukai etc.

remember martial arts has probably lost out to things like basketball, football, PSP and other video games. It's a hard thing to compete against.

Hope it turns around for you.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Either someone is saying something to put your school down or they are not getting what they want and need at your facility. I personally had to close my school down two weeks ago because of gossip and lies. Fortunately I have things in writing so I have someone to sue but not everyone has that good luck....

4. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

As almost one of the oldest members in our dojo, I am really worried about its future. I like this sport even though I practice chinese martial arts as well. I never suspect it especially after I had practiced at Koyo and Ezra's dojo for several months. Yes, we should do more to attract people to join us.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

is part of the problem that younger gents are pulled towards brawling...aka mma?

6. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I take issue with your classification of mma as "brawling". I have had the pleasure of training with mmaers who are both skilled fighters and very respectful people. Just because they dress in gym clothes and don't claim to adhere to some oriental "code of honor" doesn't make them thugs/brawlers.

And note that I say this as an Aikido (Yoshinkan) practitioner.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

thug... :p

8. Janco

Janco New Member

I can't really speak about other forms of marketing, but I've been looking to start a martial art in my local area by researching what's out there using the Internet. From what I've seen lately, the vast majority of websites haven't been updated in ages and from the emails I've sent via the information on the sites, I've probably had less than a 50% response rate (and the occasional mail bounced back). I know it doesn't reflect on how good or bad the club is, but it's a first impression.

Conversely, the website of the club that in my opinion had the best laid out and most informative site, was really busy when I went along (which was why it wasn't for me really).

I think it's fair to say that folk start their research using the web these days, and your website is the front end of your business, it really needs to be done right rather than just an afterthought.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

that may be the problem.

10. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

I don't know how the economy is where you're at, but over here people barely have any money to pay bills, so anything extra is out of the question. It shows at my school as well.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Sorry to hear that man. Sue them to hell and back! :evil:

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There could be any number of reasons for the decline. I currently train with a small independent club. When we first started the numbers shot up to around 40 students training regularly. Almost a year in we still officially have around 40 on the books. However we only have around 5 to 10 regulars now and if there's 20 on the mat it's a busy night. We're not expecting to see those who are MIA again.

One of the things we changed was our syllabus. We made it a touch more demanding and we put more emphasis on personal fitness.

Shortly after people started disappearing. Most people who take up martial arts aren't really looking for martial arts training. They're looking for a social club or a way to get fit without the monotony of a gym. They're not really into being thrown around and going home with bruises.

We also refused to grade and guy that had been training for two weeks and then asked to be graded. After a few months of being told "no you're not ready". He disappeared without a word. Which was a shame. His wife and daughter were progressing much faster than he was. And all in spite of the fact his marine training made him more capable than anybody else. :rolleyes:

People take up martial arts and then quit for all kinds of reasons. All you can do is let people know you exist. Those who are interested will come.

13. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Hi All,
    Any views on the subject of new people in Aikido initially saying they 'Really want to learn Aikido' then without warning or even talking to you about their situation the student disappears without a word .You never hear from them again and naturally this begs the questions, Were they really interested or just playing around or was it whatever [my sparkling personalty, the occasional bruised body, the pain barrier ?]
    I certainly do not think it was the cost.A one and a half /two hours class was
    costing them the princely sum of three pounds.Hardly extortionate.
    I must say I think some people have a romantic notion of Aikido [maybe they read the love section in the books] rather than finding out that aikido done correctly involves hard work.Please send me your thoughts on this wrapped in a fresh five pound note.

14. Janco

Janco New Member

Hey sakumeikan, I'll joint your club, sounds like what I'm after! Where is it?!!

I actually didn't know about the "new age" view of Aikido till I read these boards. In my area I seem to be surrounded by Ki Aikido clubs (one even describing training "to co-ordinate our mind and body through enjoyable exercise"), and had I gone along, I think I'd have dropped out fairly quickly. Kind of the opposite of what you're describing. So yes, I think you're probably right in that people may not have a clear idea what they're after when it comes to Aikido classes.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Maybe they're being drawn to those places that actually teach you how to fight and they don't wear pyjamas. They're called "gyms" and they teach "mma".

Nothing like kicking up a hornet's nest to start the day :D

16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Maybe they tried a hih kick and got dumped on their butt.:rolleyes::)

Janko

Have a look at koyo's book thread. And you are welcome at the

makotokai.co.uk

17. Giovanni

sorry. was trying to be funny. breaking my own rules regarding the denigration of others.

you're absolutely right spin. many many mma'ers are the highest quality martial artists and people. i have a bunch of friends that train in bjj and judo in my hometown of chicago.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You darn Bill Wallace types. So THAT's why you train high kicks!

In all seriousness, to the OP you might just need some more advertisement to get the word out. It could be you're just going through some slow times and might need something new to kickstart some interest. Hope things work out for you.

19. Giovanni

are there weekly or monthly events where people from the community can just come in and train for free? that might be a good way to get the community interested?

20. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Janco,
    Unfortunately I do not live in your area.However if you wish to pursue a good dojo with excellent teachers try Wishaw Sports Centre or the Sports Centre in Chryston.Check British Birankai Web pages. All the best , Joe.