Why dont my katas look like their katas?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by kenpodragon, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kenpodragon

kenpodragon New Member

I practice at a Tracy's Kenpo school and was wondering why the katas I've learned don't exactly match those of the EPAK system and other Tracy schools Ive seen on utube etc.. ?Although very similar it seems some of practicioners are not completing full strikes and other movements that would seem to be important to pay attention to. Instead it seems they want the kata look flowing instead of performing the techniques fully.Anyone else notice this???

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

because your instructor teaches them differently

3. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

NO NO NO. It isn't cause he teaches them differently, it is because he teaches them correctly. Always a right and wrong KF. Always. Black and White. No Grey.

4. KempoFist

I don't do kata anymore. Does this make me beyond right, or just hopelessly wrong?

5. Nuck Chorris

Option C: Beyond wrong

Without kata, you will be a worthless martial artist and never amount to anything. Just look at all the MMA guys. Hopeless. Never, will they win a real fight on the street. They just win their pretend fights in the cages. Good luck to them when the ninjas come to eat their brains.

6. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Ninjas eat brains, I knew there was a reason I hated ninja just never knew why.
    Those bastards, they killed Kenny.

7. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

ohh quite a burn NC but agreed all the same a martial art with out kata or with katas changed to be flowery and " cool" looking, is useless, the kata is the library of all essencial techniques, but in the same area a kata taught without bunkai is alot harder to desifer those techniques from the kata, i don't know is you guys do bunkai, but yeh. the AKF changed a few kata to make them better looking. but those MMA guys, have the same thoughts as my sensei that all fights end on the ground, i agree and disagree all fights will end on the ground but only for one person, the poor bloke who gets smacked, not with one guy trying to do an arm bar between his legs while the other guys belting the others face in. aneckdote time, my mates have far stronger grips than i do, so if they grab me id gone to limits of my grappling ability, but when i get the jump on them ( like i usually do) i can land them in the solar plexus, and wind them no fuss.

P.S i'm not intending on turning this into a grappling vs striking debate, if it comes across like that i apologise

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  8. KempoFist

um....what?

9. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

in essence kata was created for poeple to be able to remeber techniques better, the the point of kata became lost, and poeple do them now for competition and stuff because there astheticly appealing.

10. KempoFist

Long, but entertaining: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61234

11. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79riVe3pbA&NR=1"]YouTube[/ame] if this helps.

12. Nuck Chorris

You have a unique way with words...and grammar.

13. Nuck Chorris

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ask Your Instructor (c)

15. Nuck Chorris

(c) = Cop out?

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

copyright mark. Nobody is allowed to tell anyone to Ask Their Instructor now without paying me a royalty.

Please try to keep up with cross-forum running jokes will'ya geez you are losing at internet.

17. Nuck Chorris

It is so difficult to keep up with the deadly Kenpo. Too quick for me.

18. KempoFist

try...©

Option + G on Mac, or Alt + G on PC ;)

19. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

yeh i'm not the most grammatical person.

20. Nuck Chorris

My nickname for you is "The Butcher."