Why do you train?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by stephenk, Oct 2, 2009.

1. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

So, why do you train?

I think it's probably not an easy or obvious question.

Most people start for self-defense or something like that. But, it seems clear that training for 2-6 hours a week for an event which may or may not happen in your lifetime (and when it does it probably will not be fatal) is a pretty bad return on investment.

That being said, training in a martial art which does not, at a minimum, provide the ability to skillfully act martially seems odd as well.

So it seems that there's either a balance, a contradiction, or some sort of synthesis.

How do you feel about it?

2. deivu

deivu Valued Member

This post has been done before, but screw it I'll answer it. I started training for self-defense and discipline I also wanted to be a certified bad ass. Once I realized my bad assery would not be accomplished I continued to train because I liked it. I liked the drills, my instructor , the system and I like it as an outlet. i used to be a very angry teenager. Martial arts gave me a place to go and vent my frustration. It also kept me out of trouble. While most of my friends went on to get in trouble with the law, I had something to take up my time.

I train now because I enjoy it, I like the physicality and the joy of punching someone in da face every now and again. I still like the drills and people I train with. While I know I am not as good as a trained "fighter" I am confident I can handle myself. Plus I don't want to be in a cage with another person, I'm too pretty, :).. At the end of the day it is fun for me. Its entertaining and a good stress reliever. I don't want to be a certified bad ass or a super assassin. I don't do it for that, because that is unrealistic. Things like that do not have a place in my life.

3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It's better than a bus?

4. Dhalsim-on

Dhalsim-on Banned Banned

It cultivates awareness and thats what keeps you alive.

5. antihero.zero

antihero.zero Valued Member

I'm just in it for the ladies. :yeleyes:

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Most people aren't aware worth a damn, and they get along just fine.

7. antihero.zero

You mean the zombie civilians who never see anything happening until it's over or they've walked into the middle of it? The ones who get in more car accidents, who are surprised at anything out of the ordinary, and who make themselves easy targets for criminals?

I once caught a guy following my wife in a store with an unusual interest in her. I made a mental note of the vehicle he got into when we left, and I noticed he might have been continuing to follow us on the road . I drew out his tail and when he realized that I knew he was following us, he stopped. I intentionally drove away from our house so he wouldn't know what neighborhood to look for us in. Finally, I asked my wife to write down descriptions of his vehicle and appearance so I could keep my eyes opened for him for the next couple weeks. How do you think that would have ended for the average dip ****?

You and I have very different definitions of "fine."

8. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

The more I do martial arts, the better I feel about myself. I feel more sure of myself and my abilities.
    I can better defend myself, and others.

Those are the main reasons.

9. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

So that if the time comes, I will be more likely to survive than without the training.

10. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Those too.

And on top of that, a whole lot of people in the Bujinkan have got blinders on to the rest of the world as well.

Either that or you honestly believe it's common for average Joes to be stalked by psychos.

11. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

And as for the original question - it's because I tend to side with the misunderstood.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knKxH1VqVgA"]YouTube - Common - Misunderstood[/ame]

12. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Yeah ! Dam strait man, those Jack asses! but I suppose the world would be rather boring if everyone was an ex. sas, CIA navy seal type of person eh?

13. antihero.zero

I didn't say the person stalking my wife and I was a psycho. I have no idea what his intentions were, but I definately didn't want to find out. I'd say it's not particularly common, no, but most people will have at least one experience with it in their lives. If you're an attractive female then you're probably going to have it happen a few times.

Mental illness is actually a lot more common than most people realize. For instance, 1.1% of the population is schizophrenic (source). Schizophrenia is one of the most severe forms of mental illness that we've classified. Also, if you factor in the % of people with a narcotics addiction and combine them with the mentally ill, then it becomes very unlikely that you won't regularly run into people who are deeply psychologically troubled.

If you really want an eye-opener, go check out the registered sex offenders in your area. You'll get a nice little treat when a map of your neighborhood lights up like a Christmas tree.

You don't need a service record to be environmentally aware, and that is not what I intended to imply. I hope most people in the Bujinkan are smart enough to train their brains to be aware as much as possible.

14. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

As well as being fine at the end of the day.

What population?.

Where I'm at, in order to find out anything about convicted criminals I have to look through politically incorrect blogs with right-wing extremist leanings.

I can promise you that they aren't.

15. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

'Mental illness is actually a lot more common than most people realize. For instance, 1.1% of the population is schizophrenic (source). Schizophrenia is one of the most severe forms of mental illness that we've classified. Also, if you factor in the % of people with a narcotics addiction and combine them with the mentally ill, then it becomes very unlikely that you won't regularly run into people who are deeply psychologically troubled.'

so eleven people in 1000, and of those how many are medicated, and getting along well with the world, my friend is for one.

Your other remark about 'zombie civilians' stank of military elitism to me, I'm sure there are more than a few ' dip *****' in the ranks. also Almost all martial art dojo's I've visited or trained in have a few 'special' students .

People are people, some very aware some not, which is fine by me I don't really want the nice old lady at the corner shop being ultra parAnoid.

Not all mental health patients are stalkers or rapists.

16. garth

garth Valued Member

I think you guys need to re-read this thread

It was actually Kagete who first drew the link between stalkers and psychos when he posted

Anti Hero Zero posted in response to what Kagete wrote

Neither did Anti Hero Zero say that all attackers are mentally ill.

As I say the first person that drew that conclusion was Kagete. Up until that time Anti Hero Zero had not mentioned anything about mentally ill people.

Garth

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  17. garth

garth Valued Member

Hatsie posted

When anti hero zero wrote

I dont think he is saying that all mentally ill people are a problem or indeed like your friend not getting along with the world.

My wife is a supervisor (Shift Leader) for the NHS in a Mental Health hospital, and I was in charge of over 100 mental health care sites and have met a lot of people that are coping quite well, and in some cases very well.

But the statistics that anti Hero Zero raises are about correct, but I cant see that he is saying that all of them are a problem to society or indeed that they canot lead a fully functioning life.

remember it was Kagete that first drew the link between stalkers and Psychos.

However we must not shy away from that fact that mental illness is a major problem in society and something that police officers spend a good part of their time dealing with.

Thats not of course to forget that people without a mental illness are not a huge problem either.

Not all criminals are mentally ill, indeed most are not. But I think your taking what anti Hero Zero posts out of context here guys.

Garth

18. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

This isn't about why S/HE trains but about why WE train as an individual.

I don't know why we should get on people's cases when they answer the question what's in it for them.

We can train for:
    • the ladies
    • self defense
    • paranoia
    • exercise
    • bad assness
    • insecurity
    • superiority
    • meditation
    • Whatever
    I trained first before because I liked old badly dubbed Chinese movies. Years down the line I've learned that there are such things as editing, special effects and wire works and I still like badly dubbed Chinese movies but I no longer wish to fly like Wong Fei Hung or be a master of the Snake Fist in Eagle Shadow with a woosh of air in every punch.

But today I've gotten more realistic but a big part of me is connected to the martial arts. I always buy rubber soled shoes even for formal wear. I always look behind me covertly and watch my back by way of shop windows.

I carry a fountain pen with me because I always think of using it as a weapon. I choose seats in a restaurant based either on protecting my back for having a quick way out. I have a weapon at ready access anywhere in the house. When I see a potential threat I make a mental checklist of my exits, my options and my weapons.

Overactive to some, just right for me. I'm just aware not paranoid, just a by product of practice now these things are second nature.

My practice has led me to this point of situation awareness and I like to be even more aware.

19. Gun De Niro

Gun De Niro Valued Member

Garth,

Did you meet your wife in a Mental Hospital?

That figures....................

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bit uncalled for that is.

Any reason for the personal attack or are you just having a bad day and need to rant?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009