Why Do You Study Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by BentMonk, Apr 9, 2007.

?

Why Do You Study Martial Arts?

1. Physical Improvement

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Fighting Ability

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Mental Improvement

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Other

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Why do you study martial arts? I began studying to improve my physical ability and defend myself. I chose CMA because I have always had a facination with the intrernal arts. So why do you study martial arts?

2. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

try to be able to focus on doing one thing and doing it well :D

3. sue1

sue1 Valued Member

I started because of my daughter (long story) not expecting to keep it up for long but found that I really enjoyed it. I am not good at it - and never will be - but I have managed to keep up so far.
    For me the most important reason is enjoyment so I have answered other but it does also have the secondary reasons of improving me physically, providing me with a mental challenge and (hopefully) enabling me to defend myself if necessary - but I hope this last one is never put to the test.

Sue

4. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

should be able to pick more than one option, because I study for all three of those and more.

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I chose other, because I train for all three of the above options.

James

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yes i chose other too for the same reasons.

;)

7. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Me too. I think a general 'development' option might have been better :D That should just about cover everything...

8. Angelus

i also secretly wanted to kick ass :eek:

9. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I voted for fighting ability, but as a beneficial side effect I was able to throw away my orthotic heel raises and within two years was able to put my left foot back down roughly flat on the ground and walk around again. I can still box better than I can walk though.

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

hate to admitt it but i agree with V

11. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Alrighty Then...

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I used "Other" because it is a generic term that can encompass a multitude of answers. I also limited the choices in an effort to get people to really examine why they train. I began training MA for physical improvement and self defense. I am now in the best shape of my life, and have fought in enough tournaments (one was a full contact exhibition match...I won) to know that I can defend myself. My primary motivation for training is now to become the best teacher I can be. I still push myself physically and mentally. I still love to spar hard. Teaching adds a whole new dynamic. In order to teach effectively, I must increase my in depth understanding of even the simplest of movements. It's been a tremendous challenge, but it's also been a whole lot of fun.

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Also...as i mentioned in another thread similar to this one...i train because they are out there...they are seeking me...they are on their way...they are coming for me...i have to be ready...i have to prepare myself so that when the time comes...when they find me...i will be ready to fight...

13. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I followed my heart to it. Gawrsh, my heart is smart now i feel like i want to live in the gym :D

14. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Good One

LMAO :D Nice.

15. Angelus

id go get a guard dog...and hire goons

16. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Do this:

.....MATRIX!

:D

17. Pu jin

Pu jin Banned Banned

checked 'other' cause it was 'all of the above'

I took up MA for self-defence originally, plus I was interested in Eastern philosophy and ideas. It improved me physically and mentally too.
    I was already quite violent and knew how to fight before I started, so I wanted to learn more self-control and emotional balance. These days I don't snap and hit people any more.

When I had a mental breakdown ten years ago, practising my forms was the only thing I could do to calm my mind and slow me down.
    It saved my life.

Now I practise for no particular reason other than perhaps a "love of the art"

18. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Well done for making it through to the other side pu jin :)

I wanted to add that learning to fight was especially important for me because with only one good hip I could never run away. It's stand and fight or nothing!

19. shoushutiger

shoushutiger New Member

had to choose other due to the fact that i train for mental physical and fighting also i find that it helps in the search for balance inside ones self

20. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Fighting ability. The whole reason I even started martial arts was to protect myself and others in time of need. As corny as that might sound :rolleyes: