Why Do you Practice?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Sep 11, 2006.

1. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

There are many reasons to practice the martial arts; self-defense; sport; health and fitness; social interaction etc. But why do you do it? Also, why the particular art that you study? What drew you to it and what kept you there?

2. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

My reasons over the years have always been that 1) Self Defense and 2) I just enjoy it. Lately a third reason is that it gets me out of the house and excercising.

Shotokan was the only game in town when I started in 1978 and I took it because I wanted to learn how to fight. Later it was boxing that caught my interest along with several other arts I briefly explored. When I got into Shaolin Kempo it was after a long lay off due to college and getting established at work. I liked the concept behind SKK, but the org I was with left much to be desired. I then went to Gracie JJ for six months which greatly increased my grappling game (Which is what I wanted) but I really missed the punching and kicking stuff. NOw Kajukenbo brings it all together for me in a quality place to train.

Self defense is something I haven't worried about for years and years, but it's always good to keep one's skills sharp. Health, fellowship, and my endless facination with the martial arts in general and my improvement in them is what keeps me going now a days.

3. loyalonehk

loyalonehk New Member

Aloha Brother

Why?

It gives me an excuse to get out of changing diapers for a few hours ;) . The combination helps my sanity. :bang:

Plus, ever since I can remember, I have been fascinated with all arts. Originally, I had to learn to defend myself. Now, I still love the contact and stress relief I get from banging it up (twisted how it works, maybe thats why I am covered in tattoos also - Px relaxes me somehow). Lets you know your still alive! With passing into my 30's, and my youth catching up, I have a passion for the healing arts and a calmer mind set. But I still love the banging :D

Respects,

4. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I just like staying fit (or as fit as possible), learning fun and interesting things for self defense, enjoy the people I train with and love learning something with my kids so we can spar at home too.

5. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

When I started with Shorin-ryu I was in my teens (circa 1980-81?) and had watched one too many Bruce Lee movies :) Back then it was to 'kick butt'. :)

In the mid-late '80s it was combatives (I was in the infantry), and in the '90s it was Wing Chun for self-defense.

Now in my 40s with MMA (Bak Fu, Judo, JJ, BJJ) it's for health and fitness reasons and the social interaction. I only started up again a few weeks, maybe one month ago, and the reason I go there is because it's close and that's where I take my 3.5 and 5yr old boys to train.

I want both of my boys to benefit from the many lessons that martial arts teaches - discipline, respect, hard work, etc. etc.

6. kenpo16

kenpo16 Valued Member

When I started years ago with kung fu ( It was more like tkd at the school where I studied) it was for the work out. The instructer was big into fitness jogging, pushups, mountain climbers,situps,lots of kicking and punching, and sparring.

Now I take kenpo karate for the exercise and the self-defense. I got into a car accedent years ago and wasn't able to study. :cry: Started a year ago and grutted through the first few months of pain, now I'm doing all the take downs with no problems. Getting back into MA has done alot for me physically and mentally. :D The dojo is like right around the corner from my home and all the people there are great.

Be smarter than the object your dealing with ;)

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Stay in good shape

Not necessarly the best, but in pretty good shape, for the shape I am in. ;)

Gary :)

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I don’t know why I started martial arts in the beginning, it was probably because I wanted better self defence skills. I started Shorinji Kempo more by chance. I was doing another form of Kempo that was based on it. Over time I became disillusioned with the head of the style. As it turned out there were a few of us that felt this way, including the instructor. We decided that we would try to track down a Shorinji Kempo club and change over. This we eventually did with the help of some visiting Shorinji Kempo kenshi that were doing demonstrations as part of Japan week in Sydney with the budokan.

These days I train for a number of reasons. While I don’t think self-defence is my main goal anymore, I would not train in something that was not effective and practical. These days I enjoy the friendships and the chance to train with others from all over the world. It has given me the opportunity to understand others, and indeed myself better. Physical fitness is still an important issue and while I don’t do long hard warm ups like I used to, a two hour session still becomes a good workout. What I have found with my spinal injuries is that doing basics more so than regular exercise is a good way to strengthen the core stabilisers and does wonders for my back.

While I have used my training a number of times for self-defence I can’t escape the reality that the biggest benefits I have attained from training are not related to self-defence in the usual understanding of the phrase. The biggest benefits I have attained are an understanding of human nature and relationships, planing and reaching goals, dealing with life’s problems and managing my desires; all of which I suppose are forms of self-defence.

9. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Well- I had always been intrigued by the martial arts, and I loved the fact that even though I was an athlete, the MA's were/are VERY challenging! Self-Defense has always been a focus but I have really always just been fascinated by the history, tradition, movements, kata's etc.

I started in TKD in 1990-91 (I was 20) at the "YMCA", that is until my instructor and current girlfriend moved in together- :bang:

Then I found a Kempo style that (as it turned out) was not what it appeared to be (to me) so my instructor and a few students went to find our roots (Kara-Ho Kempo) and the rest is history.

I am on the opposite side of the current mind-set it seems.... I like having ONE PRIMARY SYSTEM to study until I die (instead of leaving the minute I got my BB), I like KATA'S to do over and over again, I like HIGH KICKS, and unconventional strikes... I enjoy being a part of a family oriented martial Art- And I enjoy the formalities and protocol.

I know the current trend is MMA but I am just ole' fashioned I guess...

james

10. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Hey, I hear you. I'd rather perfect one, than be so-so in many. That's not to say that you can't enjoy or learn from others, but rather that you have to have a strong and solid foundation that you continue to develop and perfect (even if perfection is never achieved).

I think that a lot of the theory behind MMA is that one needs to constantly keep coming up with new things that the other opponents haven't seen yet. either that, or you're trying to figure out ways to counter another's techniques. It's a sport, and as such, the need for constant inovation is always present just like any other sport. In boxing for instance; I don't think that Jack Dempsey would last too long if his 1929 self were transported into the ring with the 1966 version of Muhamed Ali, 1983 Larry Holmes, or the 1987 version of Mike Tyson. Same with John L Sullivan or Jersey Joe Walcott. Their skills were too primitive to allow them to suceed in today's boxing rings without changing their game considerably. However, I'd put some serious money on those guys against any of the others in a bar fight because they were tough as hell adn a bar fight isn't the same as the ring.

11. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

yup

I agree... MMA is great stuff but I am not looking for "sport"... Been there done that with sports. MA was my introduction to an activity that is bigger than winning or losing, where you have value outside of the activity.

The martial arts typically were designed to "weed out" the bad seeds, the people who are bullies, who are disrespectful, and do not know what humility is. They would not be accepted as a student unless they were willing to be humble--- If some guy has an attitude in class and it is not tolerated (if you know what I mean) or if they want to train for the "wrong reasons", the teacher will refuse them, whereas in MMA it seems like almost everyone of these people has a bad attitude, arrogance, and an actual yearning to fight! Since it is a sport, the boxing mentality comes to life with trashing other people and styles...Even on these internet boards, you will see postings that totally trash other arts, "Kata's are stupid" threads etc.

Now these deadly arts and training techniques are being taught to anyone who can pay for the training...Imagine a world where any bad guy can enroll in Jedi training.

12. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

It was because of this attitude and student type that instructors developed the concept of budo rather than bujutsu. Earlier last century martial arts students were seen as nothing more than common thugs by Japanese society, and to be truthful they were. They were often criminals and were fond of using their skills against anyone that was unfortunate enough to do something they could twist into reason for violence. It was at this stage instructors worked out that if they were to have an honourable place in society they would need to change the behaviour of their students. This is what brought about the shift in training methodology and the adding of some kind of guiding philosophy to their lessons. This has brought about a complete shift in the way martial arts are perceived in Japan, they now hold a very important cultural position and receive great respect.

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Even going back to India and China, one see the idea of only teaching family and very close friends. The reason? They were only interested in protecting and perpetuating their own kind. Then later, as Colin mentioned, this idea was expanded to others of your "own kind" that weren't neccessarily blood related. Shaolin Monks taught each other, and teachers would take on those of proper character. In other words: they were only interested in teaching the good people how to fight. The bad ones could fend for themselves.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I believe it has to be looked at more like a life style than a teaching of fighting.
    Some of the MA is srtickly geared to the combat side of it. Others are not that way.
    In todays "American societies", the gun has replaced the knife or sword or the stick.
    All are effective, if being used, but the learned person who is looking to be aware and training " True Self Defense" are above the game of fighting, but are still able to if they need to protect ones self and loved ones.

I am of the opinion we are a very frustrated society and very self destructive. Especially the ones who train in hard combat when it is not necessary. Ego trip big time.

Gary

15. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

This is where the Shaolin Temple is important in Chinese martial arts. It was not the originator of martial arts training in China, but it was the originator of using martial arts as a gyo or way to develop people and help attain enlightenment.

16. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I train in martial arts because of my overwhelming insecurity and lack of self esteem; I have an insatiable urge to hurt others because of my skewed moral compass that views fear as respect.

But on a serious note, I originally took up MA because my parents wanted me out of the house and doing something physical, from there my goals (as a teenager) were to become a badass str33tf1ghter! And then it progressed into wanting self defense ability if the need arose for it.

I've finally progressed through all those stages of MA delusions and fantasies, and have finally come to just enjoy my training as a physical outlet, as well as a chance to test myself currently in submission grappling tournaments. Perhaps one day I will move onto MMA, but for now I like having all my teeth in place. :D

Oh yeah, and I still like to hurt people for no good reason ;)

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I believe Taoism and its associated physical training and meditative techniques pre-date Da Mo's arrival at Shaolin.

18. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Certainly Taoism predates Bodidarmas arrival to the Shaolin Temple by about 700 years. I’m not aware of any martial arts practices aimed at developing enlightenment used by Taoists at that stage though, but then again I know little about them.