Why do you practice ninjutsu, How has it benefited you ?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujinkanplym, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Alakhaine

Alakhaine New Member

It's look pretty weird to me, though. So we have ninjutsu as a part of monk and samurai training in early XV century and later on it includes all other parts and became martial art on it's own. Or maybe it is older and part of it was taken by monks and included to their ryu? And as I see it it is against base koryu training order, which starts with sword and continue with pole arms and move jujutsu almost to the end for reasons I wont put here.
    How it'd look if someone will take bojutsu, add horseriding and swimming as a secondary arts and made a school out of it? It'll probably need of very popular movie with someone fighting with broomstick, but I think it is possible...

2. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

Ninjutsu Questions

1. Why do you study Ninjutsu ?

Because I have nothing better to do!!! :D Seriously though, it is fun to learn, and I enjoy it.

2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental ect) ?

Ninjutsu has benefited me more mentally than physically. I haven't found it to be very physically demanding to be honest. It has improved my awareness in social situations and also in being aware more of potential threats. My social life has increased immeasurably and I have made many new good friends from learning it.

3. Do you enjoy Training in Ninjutsu and why ?

If I stopped enjoying it, I would give it up tomorrow.

I kind of get a buzz of accomplishment when I learn a new technique and it goes to plan, or maybe it doesn't go quite to plan but I still know a 'get-out' technique and can use that instead.

I love the fact that it is so much more than just punching and kicking and has a fantastic history behind it and some strange and gruesome weapons.

I enjoy the social aspect like the barbecues, quiz nights and bowling evenings. Having fun outside the dojo environment aswell as in it.

I love that you can attend a seminar anywhere in the World and are guaranteed to walk away having met a few more people and having made a few more friends.

I also like the fact that for the most part everyone has been really friendly thus far. We all get on and try to help each other out as best we can in class.

4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?
    ( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)

I think that since these are traditional teachings, then yes they should be taught.
    These techniques could be taught just by visiting a stables for a days horse-riding, or by visiting the baths for a swimming session.

Stealth training would be simple enough with some games outdoors or in the dojo.Though I think there are certain entering methods which are stricly for the bedroom with the wife and/or girlfriend :D
    Also I wouldn't recommend even touching fire and explosives unless you want burned to a cinder or to lose an eye, arm, leg or your life.....even six hours in A&E is a pain in the ass.

thanks from Bujinkan Plym ( reference to the 18 levels of togakure-ryu teachings are taken from Dr. massaki hatsumi ,book Ninjutsu History And Traditon )

Eh?....oh, I thought that was a question. You're welcome!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  3. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

i'll have a go

1/ i study ninjutsu for a number of reasons the main one to quote shihan brin morgan is that i agree that ninjutsu is the most complete self protection system available today ,not only that but its a martial art with an amazing history shrouded in mystery, there are so many secrets hidden in the taijutsu waiting to be unearthed as i'm sure as i train in this art in years to come i cant ever see me getting bored :)

2/although i'm a newbie to ninjutsu ive been a student of martial arts for the past 18 years and have tried and tested a few ma's both in the dojo and on the streets but none have benefitted me more than ninjutsu in so many ways,it has increased my awareness to my surroundings and to monitor pottentially dangeruous situations before they get ugly, also i seem to be able to read peoples body language better through ninjutsu's element /feeling training and finally my flexibility /agillity has increased a great deal.
    i could go on and on but i'll spare you :D

3/yes i do enjoy training or i wouldnt be there, simple.
    i enjoy it because of the above reasons and the people with whom i train
    are a great bunch great to train with and a really good laugh also i'm fortunate enough to have a really good teacher shidoshi ian wilson .plus it helps keep my mind stay healthy under serious stress fighting off hodgekins disease for the second time in two years :woo:

4/as regards to the traditional arts of stealing in /horse/ water training etc i think you should be taught them still as said in previous replies im sure there are many hidden bennefits and modern day implications to all of the said skills and techniques!plus its so interesting who wouldnt want to learn about this history!!!

5/peace and luv im off to work

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. Luke_101

Luke_101 Valued Member

Well I haven't really benn doing it long enough to answer those questions, but most ppl seem to say all good things about ninjitsu. I agree with this stuff but find it hard to believe that you can always enjoy anything all of the time.
    Did no one find that they got annoyed or frustrated about not being able to do something? Cos I know I would....but thats the challenge right?

5. xen

xen insanity by design

good point luke;

i think if people are honest, we all find that we go through stages where we are disheartened by our progress (or apparent lack of it) etc in training.

when i started training, that was it, it was all i wanted to do, to improve etc. after a few years, i began to question why i had felt it necesary to spend my time practicing how to damage others (albeit under the guise of 'self-defence' or 'self-improvement')

i stuck at anyway, and now i have a renewed enthusiasm and a deeper appreciation of why i began.

if we think it will be easy, we will not stay the distance, if we accept that their will be times we want to quit, but just keep on with the training, then we begin to make real progress in our chosen paths. the difficult times are where you get to really test your understanding of all aspects of the art (IMO)

6. comw

comw Valued cynic

Me? cos it so much fun to do - and even mor efun to go into work the next day and see the horror on everyones face "the cripple beat someone up/got beaten up by someone"

I'm still alive- seriously thats the benefit. im a lot more flexible and im beginning to get stamina

YESSS YES YES YES finds out asdmin disabled the yes function. Itys social its useful and its one of the few none political activities i can do (as long as im fighting) besides the point where the technique has gone straight through to your body and you automatically move the right way feels so good! if hard to get to,

4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?
    ( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)

I've done archery (and im good at it) and belive that anything you can learn will be of advantage somehow - eg if you can ride a horse your more likely to be able to cope with your motor bike.

What do ya think???

7. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

To me no other martial art comes close, ninjutsu has it all, also it is a battlefield tested art, no fake wannabe stuff here.

I am in great shape and has made me a calmer and more focused person.

I like the pain :eek: :cry: , just kidding :D , we learn about everything, from taijutsu to weapons to stealth techniques and more.

4. Do you believe that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?

They are tought, but I think some of them do not need to be really anymore (when is the last time you rode a horse, I think I was 17 :D )

8. VWarrior

VWarrior Valued Member

1. As someone said before, Ninjutsu attracted me because it feels like a true warrior's art, one that was effectively applied many years ago and still has that potential today. Also, to me it has a very rich (though enigmatic in a sense) history that intrigues me and I enjoy studying.

2. Last summer, for the few months before I began my training last fall, and up until now, I have lost a lot of weight, become much more flexible, agile, and confident. Mentally, I feel more "focused and determined, yet relaxed", and the reason I double quote that is because its a feeling that is a bit difficult to explain, but overall, like I said, I feel like a more confident person.

3. Yes, I enjoy training the Bujinkan. One of the biggest reasons is because I really feel the Bujinkan is the real deal, it is legitimate in what it stands for and I've gotten that impression from my sensei who regularly trains with Soke and Nagase-sensei. I really do enjoy my training. I'm a full-time college student who has a pretty busy schedule with college courses in themselves and still finds time to train. There are times where i'd be piled on with work or tired from the day of classes and going all over campus and I have to "drag" myself to training. But once I get there and it starts, my mind just clears, I become immersed in training, enjoy it in the process, and never regret it when i'm done.

4. I haven't done much research yet on many of the stealth/assassin/etc skills of the Ninja, but from a practical standpoint, I don't really know if many of them are neccessary anymore, or even legal (poisons,explosives,etc) for that matter. However, I don't think it would hurt to have those (safe) skills passed on to modern practicioners. I wouldn't mind learning some stealth techniques, something I do think would still be practical today.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  9. VWarrior

VWarrior Valued Member

My sensei talks about that regularly.

10. Scocia

Scocia Bringer of Pancakes

Self-defence, fitness, sheer interest.

2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental etc) ?
    It's made me far more patient person. Motivated me to eat healthy, start fitness training etc and basically improve my lifestyle in general. Flexibility ! I love feeling limber.

Indeed. Great people, great training. I love that feeling after a lesson, you know what I mean :) Watching my own progress, noticing being able to do things I couldn’t before, actually seeing myself improve on the whole. I love that feeling, and I like seeing it in other people too.

4. Do you believe that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?

Sure, there a lot of things which can translate into the modern world, or if not still contribute to the development of other attributes.

11. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I had met someone that was in bujinkan for 5 years, I sparred him, and I was impressed by his skills. Then he showed me moves that felt natural. He explained flow of techniques, it made some sense at the time. So, I decided to check out ninjutsu for myself.

I'm not that far along to tell how it has benefits me. But I have a different view on fighting hard.

I enjoy it, because it seems to be a part of me.

I don't know much about the traditional teachings of bujinkan. But basics are the foundation. I think tradition should be taught, questioned, understood, and questioned again. Much like the concept of "Zero."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  12. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

here goes

I won't lie to you, as a teen I had been given a book about all the styles of martial arts. In it was one page on Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu with a B&W pic of a very young Hatsumi Sensei with "34 generation grandmaster" written underneath...There was another picture of Stephen K hayes...I went to the library and found a Stephen Hayes Book...there was a pic of him in the snow, in a ninja uniform with gauntlets and a fur cloak, gripping the tsuka of a katana...he looked cool....he looked powerful and in control...so I started reading it. I bought a copy of that book...I was hooked. It was a long road and longer story before I finally found the right place to train, but here I am now.

2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you (physical, mental ect)?
    Well for one thing it gave me confidence. I remember always being lacking in confidence as a kid. It also helped me deal with aggressive behaviour, decision making and that foolish male embarrasement we sometimes have when we are ashamed to admit we don't know something. From a physical POV I am overcoming many muscle injuries I had from a car accident by making muscles stronger yet also more limber.

Of course! I've tried other martial arts but there is nothing like the openess and diversity of Taijutsu for me. Simple as that. I spend far more time in class constantly amazed how such simple effortless techniques can be so very effective.

Not yet advanced enough (imho) to really comment there but I guess it couldn't hurt. Could it? :)

13. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

I didn't choose to study Ninjutsu, I believe it chose me :)
    As a kid growing up, I used follow what my older cousin used to do.
    It started with Ninjutsu. I was never in a position to take classes, but I had the gi, with the hood, no doubt and watched all the movies, and thought I was the business :D I was blessed with incredible flexabilty, so I was always able to do the splits and mimic Van Damme with all his high kicks (I like to think I've always had a good foundation physically and mentally for MA) I was always into MA though, after watching the Karate kid. I flirted with Karate briefly at the age of 7, and then moved to Italy at the age of 9 where I was involved with Judo.

I recieved a yellow belt and a gold medal. Around the age of 15-16 I got back into MA when I moved to Spain. The remaining time I was there, I studied JKD and Ninjutsu (Hardly enough to concider it "real" Ninjutsu training though since I only had time for a few classes, although the initial love and passion was getting there). 6 years later, I'm living in Malaysia and I'm part of the Malaysia Hachimon Bujinkan. I've been studying since October 2005, and I'm full of passion and love for this art.Currently at 9th Kyu and progressing well, about to be bumped up to 8th Kyu.

I'm driven and excited to go to every class, which has taught me how to percivere more, and be more driven. I want to reach Shodan level badly !
    So I can be prepeared for the deeper/complicated side of the art. I wouldn't say that the art has improved my physical well being, but I would say it's helped me to become more elastic so to speak, espeicially with Ukemi.

Yes, I LOVE the training. I love going to class and coming home having something new under my belt, which brings me even closer to the goal, of being a more acomplished Ninjutsu practitcioner. It's also a very proud and exciting feeling being part of something so powerfull and historical. The main factor would be that it gives me the sort of excitement, that you would experience as a child. I'm fasinated, at being shown a technique and then being shown multiple Henkas (variations) that just blows me away.

Yes and no. Yes for the fact that it could give a practitioner a sense of complition,having mastered all aspects of the "old school" side of the art.
    And no, for the simple fact that these methods are hardly going to be needed for day to day life (Depending on your profesion of course ! ;) )

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006