Why do we fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AndyCTB, Mar 30, 2010.

1. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

Hi everyone,

Why do we fight?

For the last 4 years I have been training in Muay Thai and have had two novice bouts, a few Interclubs and a lot of sparring experience. Anyone who trains and fights in a combat sport will know of the hard work and commitment involved in preparing for a fight. I do enjoy training and get a real buzz out of competing, but there are so many sports that are exciting, dangerous and require physical/ mental training that are not combat sports.

I have my own thoughts and feelings about my reasons for fighting.... what are yours? whether it be judo, wrestling, boxing, Thai Boxing, Savate, bjj, MMA... please share

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i don't fight. i just roll around on the mats.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

So that we develop the confidence and fighting spirit to live life to the full and stand when we have to.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When I was 5 years old in my 1st grade, a HUGH Mongolian girl always pushed me to the ground and mounted on top of me daily. Since then I decided that I was going to learn something so I would never allow any girls to mount me for the rest of my life.

When I was 16 years old, a guy told me that he was going to kill me next time we met. Since then I decided that I wanted to train hard so I could see the sun raise the day after.

I knew that baseball, basket ball, football, ... won't give me what I want.

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

youknowwho, i think i may have underestimated your sense of humor.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You are right! I do like to joke around. Life is too short to be serious. :)

The story that I told was a true story. Her name is 烏榮敏 (Wu Rong Min). She won the national women swiming champion in Taiwan after she grew up. Her father was a Mongolian wrestler (not saying she knew any Mongolian SC but it made me to feel a little bit better). Onetime I bitted on her arm while she was on top of me, she stopped bother me. Soon I transfered to another school after my 2nd grade. I had never seen her since then.

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Your experiences

Dear youno who,
    Having read your comments I to feel that you are pulling the readers leg.If not the Mongolian girl must have made a huge impression on your young mind.At the age of 63 , you still remember the incident, golden memories I am sure.
    As far as the second part the guy wanting to kill you next time he saw you rather than study M.A. why did you not become a yogi and live in a cave somewhere in the Indian sub continent?That way the guy would have had little chance in bumping into him.
    Ps. For your info, I am also being jocular here.Your comments made me laugh.

8. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

Ha! @youknowwho Big Mongolian girls rock! I actually train to keep them in a full mount, just don't let them take your back! eek

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The Mongolian girl made me laugh my ass off. :p

When I was growing up fighting was just the way it was. I guess we never gave it a thought. A fight on the way to school for any stupid reason.... wrong color shoes... wrong color hat... wrong neighborhood... wrong color skin... wrong group of friends... and that static would be a problem at lunch and that would turn into something on the way home from school.

In many ways it was an extension of some really dumb plan to bus kids from one area to another. Great. They just put me and my bro's on a bus to a school two neighborhoods over and wow... getting home was one, long running skirmish.

I was lucky enough to get out of all of that and get away from that many years ago - many of my bros couldn't get out of it. But somehow it never leaves you... there is a part of you that can't get away from it. It stays with you. It's a mindset that is hard to shake. Only it's acceptable to put your fist through a problem at 14 or 15... even at 19 or 20... but at 40 less so.

This is why I always thought the fights were a positive outlet. All the same adrenalin rush.. all the same smells and sounds and sensory overload... but with the added benefit of no worry of retaliation later. No having to look over my shoulder on my way to my car or on the way to the liquor store. So yeah the fights in the ring are somewhat easy by comparison I guess. I really enjoy it. If only I didn't have to get older year by year.

10. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Basically a short fuse connected to a keg of bottled anger and with no real way to express that crap.
    Hard training and competetive fighting are an fantastic outlet for all the nasty stuff in my mind and i think it genuinely has made me into a better person.

edit: I still regularly rage out at the internet, only thing that suffers for it is my keyboard.

11. broken

broken New Member

why do yoy train?

i dont train...i smoke over a pack a day...recently i visited the house of a guy who is a blackbelt under one of bruce lee's 5 students....he was having an affair with my wife...long story short...i wonder why you all train...because i beat his ass all over his own house...keep up with the training...lol....{Removed by Admin}....so dont spend money on this guy training ya...cause he is no good!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  12. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

The thing you need to train is English.

Punctuation is something you use to make your writing comprehensible, not as some kind of a cipher you need to crack by getting drunk and reading it aloud.

13. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Hi broken, why don't you introduce yourself in the Introduction part of the Map. I am having a problem with smoking myself, but eventually you'll stop if you really want to.

Slip's post struck a cord.

I was jumped almost everyday and bullied just because of who I was (race, religon, etc.). This carried over through elementary to early high school till I moved out of state.

I always thought I'm over it, but still it's always there, like a bad feeling in the back of my head.

Martial arts almost seems like a way I can stop that, if I train hard enough I would never have to go through something like that again. I can vent that frustration out.

Whatever.

14. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

@ Broken, I should have been more clear. I was referring to competing in Combat sports when I used the word Fighting. It doesn't necessarily surprise me that you came across a blackbelt that can't fight.

If you had said that you had beat up a fighter (Muay Thai, MMA, BJJ, Judo, Wrestler etc) with more than a few fights under his belt I would have suggested you give up smoking and take up MMA. In my experience, I have met blackbelts in many martial arts who have never engaged in any form of competitive fighting and would (in my opinion) be more likely to take a beating because they spend a lot of time training in Fantasy based martial arts.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Simle answer for why I fight is I just enjoy it. I enjoy being slammed, kicked, punched whatever its a fun rush and I guess a reminder that I'm not invincible as much a I'd love to beleive it.
    I suck so I can't say much about the offensive side of things but its the same sort of reason I just enjoy the rush from fighting and in bjj I enjoy the technical aspect of using weaknesses in the human body like forcing locks to work against themselves and all that stuff.

But come on, who doesnt enjoy being double legged from six foot in the air?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What are combat sports?

Are the people who compete in them competitors or fighters?

Why do you list those arts when talking about fighting?

What is a fighter and what is fighting?

What is a fantasy based martial art?

Mitch

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This may be the worst nightmare for any MA guys. After someone has trained seriously for many years in MA, you smoke over a pack a day and can still knock him out with your dick. The amount of shame will make his life meaningless. It's about time for him to get a rope, find a quite place, and hang himself with a sign hanged on his neck that said, "I have too much shame."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  18. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Some guy was sleeping with his wife. I think even if he smoked a carton of cigs a day he would still kick his ass.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You are right! I forgot the strong motivation behind this.

20. broken

broken New Member

hi again...i have no idea if he has had any actual fights under his belt....doubt it...all i know is that he is a black belt...i have also seen him work out...he has 1 of those things that he whacks his forearms and shins against to deadon the nerves...any how...yea...although i have absolutely no formal training at all...i am a huge fan of mma...i feel they are the only athletes that should be making the big money...and i am going to start some kind of formal training...lol...because i feel like i am a natural...not a natural martial artist...but a natural fighter...its in my blood....i only fear myself!...thanks for the post