Why do we fall, or emphasize falling ?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Sep 7, 2006.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Or pay a visit to clearlake dojang, if you are BB come to saturday morning class. 2nd+ dahn 9:00am, 1st and 3rd+ 10:00am. INVITE OPEN TO ALL, just call and clear it with KJN first, though he's never said no ,yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

First thing you need to do is to decide what you are going to practice for.

If you are going to demo a technique, falling side, I think the best thing to do is follow the guy doing the technique. If you lead the lock and land in the prone position it is going to look like you did the technique for your partner. Anyone with skill looking at the demo will think it is fake, basically because it would be. So in the demo you are doing the appropriate fall to save the joint from being attacked from damage, but you are not trying to counter the technique. To make the demo of ASMS #4 look more real, your partner will need to make it more real. He will need to drive your should down quickly via pressure on the elbow so that it does not appear that you have a chance to counter. You will have no choice other than a one armed front fall (or belly flop).

If you are practicing to counter the technique then you can use all weapons at your disposal. For ASMS #4 in particular, you know that if your shoulder gets too low then you will not be able to roll out safely (or wiggle free in some other way) . So capatilize on your partner's mistakes if he is not driving you to the ground. Help yourself achieve this by focusing on your shoulder integrity. #4 will not work unless your partner rolls your shoulder. (I'm sorry I can't think of a better word) The movement is subtle but you can resist quite a bit of pressure on the elbow if your shoulder is correctly held. This resistence has bought you two valuable things, height so that you wiggle free say by rolling out, and time so that you can complete the roll instead of getting caught in the middle.

As you mentioned you can also lead the technique by jumping ahead of the lock. You usually need some height to make this work. The ground usually won't get out of your way. :D You can combine the above with leading to make it very effective.

In a demo you are likely to be hyped up so doing freestyle resistence stuff is probably too risky.

I think the happy medium is too, in normal practice time, never give your partner anything, make him take it. But don't make it so hard that the person can't do it. Gradual increase of resistence is key. In normal practice try the textbook fall. which is front fall for ASMS#4

For a demo you can ease up on the resistence a little bit. Keep with the textbook fall.

When you want to practice countering you rachet up the resistence and add in leading etc... You can change the fall or maybe even not fall at all. ASMS#4 can sometimes be countered by a spinning knife hand strike to Ah Moon.

Is this what you were looking for?

3. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Yea, I've decided for tournament I'm just going to let her stick my face in the mat. Here's a question for you: Do you step through the arm bar and kneel or do you just drive the arm bar straight down? I've done ASMS4 both ways, even pivoting (seems to give it more of a Chinese flavor). I was just curious how others practiced it.

By rolling the shoulder I take it you're talking about how the wrist is twisted during the counter grab to position the elbow properly?

Thanks for the advice, it sounds good. I take any information people can give me and try to incorporate it into practice.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

If I am doing ASMS#4 without borrowing concepts from later techniques, I step at 45 degrees and drive the elbow below my knee.

Yes, but a little more as well. I guess the easiest way to feel it is in the shoulder blade. You could twist the wrist enough to expose the elbow but not enough to roll the shoulder.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Or learning to fall from a height. I'm really coming to think that falling is something EVERYBODY ought to be taught in school.

So... the elephant in my room right now, Coyote's dad fell off a roof last week. He's not in any MA, I'm pretty sure he's never been taught how to fall, and it's pretty bad. :cry:

6. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

:cry:
    Yea-I found out Friday. Mom said he fell 15 ft. off a roof, dented his skull, broke several ribs, and smashed two vertebrae in his spinal column. The doctors say that there's only a 1% chance he'll regain any kind of mobility in his legs. He's on a breathing tube, which they're hoping to take out within a few weeks. Yes, I am worried about him, even though my relationship with him wasn't the best. Talk about a motivation to practice falling. I don't intend on falling 15 ft, but better safe than sorry :confused: :cry: I've been realizing just how much I loved him, even though we hadn't talked in awhile and some of his actions when I was little made me terrified of him, even today.

7. JSun

JSun Valued Member

That's tragic. Sorry to hear about the accident. I assume he's an older gentleman, probably with brittle bones at that. I'm not sure there are too many people walking this earth who could fall 15ft and not have a long road to recovery, if that road existed at all.

8. Ryzin

Ryzin New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Don't put too much influence on the doctor's 1%. The spirit can overcome many acts, including strength.

As far as the topic goes, I've seen falling discussed as a striclty defensive technique. Has anyone ever thought of it as an offensive one?

9. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Regarding Kuk Sool techniques, Ahp Eui Bok Soo 18 has got a nasty side fall that lands on your partner's elbow.

Regarding WWF, who can forget Hulk Hogan's Leg Drop off of the top turnbuckle? :cool: That's what I call offense.

10. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

I practice falling because it is very cold and icy here in the midwest. When I was at Purdue, we had ice polishers on campus. They were these snow removers with big brushes, they were supposed to clear the snow, but by the time they came out, all they did was make the ice under the snow even slicker. They were like Zamboni's for all you hockey fans. KSWolf can attest to this. Learning how to fall correctly was crucial to surviving the West Lafayette winters, On a winter day, you'd see at least one person fall as you walked accross campus.

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ice polishers !!! ROTFL :D :D

12. ember

ember Valued Member

Re: Coyote's dad, he's not that old. Mid-50's.

They sure were.

Even worse, we were on campus for the blizzard, New Years 2000. It took two-three days to get W. Lafayette semi-mobile again.

13. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

What happened to the WCW? I think Hogan started off there and then one day popped up in WWE. :confused:

Sorry to hear about your father Coyote. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  14. KSW_equus

KSW_equus Valued Member

Falling...

Absolutely right on. I hate statistics, in terms of patient care. Statistics are for groups. We in medicine quote them mostly to make ourselves feel better. With an individual, it's 100% or zero. So since we never know what may happen, or what the Plan may be, not for sure anyway, never give up hope...

In re falling...I think we practise falling much as we practise sparring, techniques, hyung, weapons...so that if the worst happens, we are ready... :Angel:

15. RaccoonWrangler

RaccoonWrangler Valued Member

Very true. Almost four years ago, I was diagnosed with primary liver cancer, already involved in the lymph system. (That means it was starting to spread)
    My wife was told that the survival rate was ZERO, and that I would likely not survive the year. A little experimental surgery, and now I'm in Kuk Sool almost every day.

That's why they call it PRACTICING medicine... ;)