why do people like Chael Sonnen

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Jun 27, 2012.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I seriously do not understand it. it seems to defy and logic in my head. the man has gone above and beyond simply hyping up a fight, if he truly believes the stuff he says then he is a certifiable lunatic.

aside from of course Anderson. He has insulted all of black house, GSP, Lesner, Mike Tyson, the entire country of Brazil!& Lance Armstrong. Tested positive for steroids( yes he argues it was for Low t, but I don't understand why if he had such a legit excuse for using them, why he had run away from the state athletic commish instead of informing them to begin with) and yet people look at him like he's some sort of hero because he yells what his extreme ideas are into a microphone. ( then again some could argue he's just another conservative fanatic, cept with MMA gloves)

yes people watch his fights, there is no question that trash talking hypes a fight but what i'm getting at is why do people actually follow and like him as fighter.

now I'm looking at fight predictions and people are actually rooting for this guy acting as if Anderson is this tyrannical monster that has to be stopped. correct me if I'm wrong but aside from the Maia fight when has Silva acted like a butthole or negative to anyone? every time you see him outside the ring he seems to still be the really calm charismatic joker you see him inside the ring.

I know fighters like Ali talked trash but at the end we still remember them for being so great for what they did outside the ring that showed their true character.

and what does sonnen do outside the ring? talks more trash and launders money.:bang:

I'm not making this post as some kind fanboy trying to get people to stop dogging my hero or anything like that. I cant nor will I deny Sonnen's skills. ( a bit one dimensional I will say that, but skills none the less) nor can i deny how he dominated *injured* silva.

its just that to me this man has done nothing at all to show that he's a decent human being or sane for that matter, and I'm having a hard time figuring out why people like him for it.

a different perspective on the issue would be nice.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I love Sonnen, he's just so funny! I also love his work ethic "I'm not her to leave a legacy, I'm here to fight. I hope when I retire people forget about me and they cheer for the next champion." Just things like that.

3. roninmaster

i just see a one track mind. which i guess isn't a negative.

in interviews he has said before he hates that people act as if the sport is some honorable thing.

he has a black belt cus he says so

doesn't understand the concept of training to fight someone specific, only training the same way to win. ( obviously not the way to not get submitted)

he has a majin buu from DBZ feel to him. no thought, no reason just me smash( yes i'm a geek. not ashamed )

from what chadderz is saying people like him for the same reason people thinks it hilarious when babies learn a curse word. "oh my gosh, he's saying that!?! so adorable."

thats the only thing i'm getting.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well I lost respect for Silva when he said be was injured. That was a totally crap move. If you get your as kicked for four and a half rounds and catch a sub, you say you got lucky and you'll be much more prepared next time. You don't cop out with "I hurt my toe".

Sonnen promised you a smashing and he delivered. He didn't lie even a little. He promised it would be totally one sided. So it wasn't really trash talking was it? Sure he says a lot of stuff that makes no sense, but thats him just trolling the MMA world. Why would you hate on him? Because he makes fun of people? At least he's not afraid to speak his mind.

5. roninmaster

so it is a punk move to have an injury and be honest about it but not to be a total tool and be honest about that?

If Silva was faking the injury or pulled a koscheck and pretending to get hit by something that didn't make contact i'd be more inclined to the think less of him for it.

everyone can speak there mind, its your right, doesn't mean your mind isn't a I KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THE FORUM RULES REGARDING FOUL LANGUAGE SO NEXT TIME I POST SOME UP I WONT BE SURPRISED IF I COP A BAN. storm of BS.

its like not stoping a kid from tearing up the house because they don't want to stop there kids from expressing themselves. He has every right to have his insane ideas just as I have every right to dislike him based on those insane actions from those ideas. the same reason anyone has ever disliked anyone else. his words and actions come from the insane thoughts he's quick to ramble off that he has that i find ridiculous.

last time I check nobody really like trolls either... don't we ban them around here? when was being a you're on thin ice with the foul language socially acceptable?

2.)trash talking would be more along the lines of " i'm going to spank your wife on the ass and tell her to make me a steak the way i like it" or a slew of the other things he has said.

"Lance armstrong deserves to have Cancer"

"Mike tyson's career was padded"

thats not telling it how it is, thats being a tool. tell me Chadderz If said the things about your family that he said about Silva's would you honestly think "oh he's cool, he's just expressing himself?"

I dislike him because I don't like disrespectful people. especially to others cultures,and countries.

but my question still remains.

Why do people like him when he has shown no reason to be called a decent person?

emphasis mine - Slip

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I have no idea who he is, but it sounds like people like him for his entertainment value. Simple as that.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I'm indifferent to him. Sometimes he's funny as hell, sometimes he seems like a massive tool, sometimes he seems honest and fairly insightful etc... Mostly he just comes across as a cheesy WWF character, which is why some people like him; he's a caricature.

Alternatively plenty of people are just knobs and like generally gravitates to like.

I'm way more interested in the fight than the personalities of the fighters on the whole, but if I had to pick, the 'nicest guy in MMA award' would have to go to Paul Sass. He's a total legend IMO. :)

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sonnen's not a decent person.
    Broke the law. Got caught with high test. Said some outrageous things.
    But at least he has spark. The very fact we're talking about him kind of shows that.
    He's different from the run-of-the-mill shaved and tattooed fighters that occupy the vast majority of UFC cards. Most of them I can't tell one from the other. And I'd say I follow MMA fairly closely.
    So while I'd probably hate being in the same room as him he undoubtably livens up the UFC more than almost any other fighter.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+1 for Paul Sass.
    Gotta give kudos to any fighter that say "I'm going to do this...you can try and stop me if you want but I'll probably get it anyway". :)
    Same reason I like Paul Harris and his collection of legs.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Pretty much the same as Chadderz. He's funny (although he's going too wwe for me recently) and I respect his attitude to fighting as a business and the fact he fights whoever they tell him too rather than all the "I train with that guy, that guy, that guy, and that guy but I still want to climb the ranks and get a title" crap.

I also actually agree with some of the stuff he says. I think he's got a point about Silva being two faced and some of his other things about Brazilian fighters abandoning Brazil made some sense.

The other stuf doesn't faze me too much. His personal life is seperate from the ufc and most people I've heard call him a criminal have double standards since they're cool with Rampage for example. The TRT one, from the little I've read about it, is a problem that's pretty common in mma but is used against Sonnen more than most. Which I guess is because he's taking on a very popular fighter in Silva.

But if I was completely honest then I probably like him just because he ****es people off. He is incredibly good at marketing himself and seeing forums explode with posts complaining about him is funny since you know it was his goal. I respect his approach to mma basically and have no real reason not to like him. I don't love him, but I don't dislike him either.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Or more likely because he popped with a ratio higher than even Ubereems!
    He must have been necking that stuff!

12. Southpaw535

I don't understand the stuff to make a proper opinion. I did read something about how his ratio was completely out of wack but his actual levels were still within acceptable? Sounds stupid but might as well ask. Also if he was just blatantly juiced to hell then why would it matter if he was prescribed trt or not? Presumably if you need trt then it brings your levels into normal, not elevated to 10 times average or whatever he had, so a subscription shouldn't be a possible defence

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's what I'd think.
    But then I have family members with thyroid problems and while they get suplemented their thyroid levels can still end up all over the place.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tito Ortiz was pretty much the first one to make himself a more marketable character in MMA.
    He has said that if you're good and people love you, people will watch you fight to win, if people hate you, even more people will watch you fight to see you lose. Either way, you got people watching you.
    And at the time, he was able to back that up, he trash talked, he acted the bad boy and then was able to beat people up.

Chael Sonnen, is doing an updated version of this marketing technique. He is creating an audience by creating a character. Then he did the best publicity stunt one can do in the fight business. . he beat the crap out of whom is (still) currently seen as the best fighter in the World...well most of us knows what happens.

We are all playing in his hands as it were. Love him, hate him thats exactly what he wants.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Riiiight and this is the gospel according to Chadderz. :rolleyes:

So Silva manages to survive one hell of an onslaught and catches a sub and none of that has anything to do with the fact that he's an 11 time world champ or a BJJ black belt or one the best fighters the UFC has ever seen. No I guess sod that... it's all down to luck and copping out as you say. No heart... no ability to cop a beating and still think... naw... none of that... pffffftttttttt:bang:

What world are you living in?!?!?:eek:

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

People don't get lucky landing a sub. Too much skill involved. Just saying.
    Did Silva's foot luckily end up behind his other knee or did he put it there?

17. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Haven't seen the fight yet (although it sounds like I might make a point of finding it) but if Silva took a pounding and kept the heid under pressure, then it shows a side to his game we haven't seen before. He's been on top for years now, and never looked stretched, or taken much of a doing, if he can take all that and still plan his way through to a sub then fair play to him, I actually wouldn't have expected it.

18. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

There's no denying that Sonnen, is the man with the biggest arm, the man with the greatest charm and the man who does the most harm. He could walk across the Sun and he wouldn't melt, he could take the Golden Gate bridge and put it on as his championship belt.

Inside the ring/cage I love watching him fight; he has an aggressive style he's good and pressuring his opponent and hes relentless working for the takedown.

Technically his wrestling is very good he puts loads of drive into his double leg, he has some great upper body throws which he demonstrated on Paulo Fihlo and Yushin Okami, he uses the inside trip; (which in my opinion is an underrated technique for MMA). And the way he chained together takedowns in the Prangley fight was just excellent.

In terms of well roundedness I think he's underrated. He fought Bisping fairly evenly on the feet (had double sig. strikes in round 1), and beat Okami and Silva standing up. On the ground he's arm-triangled Stann, passed Silva's guard several times and mounted and took the back of Bisping.

People say his weakness is his poor submission defense but in recent fight's he's only been submitted by Maia and Silva, Dan Miller and Nate Marquadt (both BJJ blackbelts) didn't have an answer for Sonnen.

For some reason Sonnen seems lazy against the cage Bisping managed to use it against him, Stann too but he was less effective.

As far as the rematch I see it 60-40 in Silva's favour, mostly because Silva is so dangerous he has the potential to end the fight in an instant.

Outside the ring he has two sides the public see there's his big showman side and normal Chael.

His showman side is a facade he uses to be more successful I can't really fault him for that.

Then there's his actual self, the guy who ran for office, the man caught for money laundering and the guy caught for the 16.9:1 ratio.

From what I've seen of his political beliefs he seems to be a sort of Pro-Bush republican (I may be wrong) where I'm more of libertarian,however he does make some good points in his book. He claims he was a bit of a sacrificial pawn in the whole money laundering case, which is plausible but I don't have and motivation to investigate it myself. As far as PEDs I'm a bit meh, it's a competitive professional sport I'd be more surprised if a guy wasn't on something.

I don't care about any of those things though it's a form of entertainment and none of those things cause me to find him tiresome.

He has some good qualities too he's great with the fans at Q&As he coaches wrestling for kids, he's not really much of a bad guy.

19. Southpaw535

Sonnen sat in his guard and dangled his arms on Silva's chest. Not taking anything away from Andy but that sub was begging to happen. I am a bit sour towards it though after people swinging from his sack decided he deliberately waited until the 23rd minute to tap him out.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I just watched an interview with him and I had to LOL. He's a pretty good troll.