why did you join aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ziseez, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hehe, not to far from the truth either...

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Actually I prefer to torture the juniors with nikkyos and sankyos ... I use my ki to mess with bigger ppls heads LMAO muhahahahahahhaaaaaaaa.....

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

See this is what happens when they let men wear skirts :p

4. vfarias

vfarias New Member

Too many ukemi... LOLOLOL!!! :D

Cheers,
    VFarias

5. master35

master35 New Member

gud day sirs, i'm a newbie.
    i would like to ask a question, if i grappled the guy and the end was to use kotegaishi to take the knife out of his while both of us was in the floor... could this still be called aikido or jujitsu or both?

6. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'd say Jujitsu, seeing as grappling and kote gaeshi are common jj techniques, and i don't think there is much to do with the ground in Aikido. Mebbe someone who practises it could help, except for Aikiewolfie, who has either suffered a side effect form wearing a skirt, or has gone through too many Ukemis (thankyou Vfarias :cool: ) and has suffered brain damage. Possibly both.

7. Budd

Budd Valued Member

The irony is the claim that aikidoka don't "fight like animals" when animals have some of the most efficient means for ending a fight (either running away or stopping the attack).

Watch out for those high horses, especially when you make comments about torturing juniors in the same thread (jokingly, but there are enough Shihan that never grew out of it and now break juniors' limbs).

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

In Aikido you really wouldn't want to be on the ground in the first place. But if you did end up there then it would still be Aikido. We do have kneeling techniques.

Unfortunately Budd you're right. There are far too many people who take liberties with other students, juniors and adults alike. However it's not just a problem for Aikido alot of other martial arts suffer the same problem. Fortunatly where I practice we normaly have a few parents watching.

9. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Going to the ground is not usually what you ever want to do, but it's a good idea to be prepared for such an eventuality.

10. buddah_belly

buddah_belly New Member

I was in a relationship with this guy once, and he said he'd done seven yrs of aikido...come to find out, he'd been watching Steven Seagal movies for seven years...anyway...when I decided to take up ma again, I chose Aikido...once I saw it, I was hooked.

Aikido looks really cool until you try to do it.

11. master35

master35 New Member

:D

12. master35

master35 New Member

you mean to say as an aikidoka you have not been on your back even in falling? :D the question sir would be an aikido technique use on a grappling technique could still be classified as aikido?(samurai code) :)

13. vfarias

vfarias New Member

TO: Budd
    I agree... that's why, even if you're not like me ( a 6' 4 man) you must learn to do Ukemi RIGHT!!!

Yes, animals do have that kind of capabilities, nonetheless, the Kung Fu topic is in another section of this forum... :D LOLOLOL!!!

In my opinion Aikido's movements don't follow that path, they're based on another kind of moves, like for instance, agriculture movements.

Greetings,
    VFarias

14. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Doing ukemi correctly does not mean that you have any idea of how to get back off the ground when someone doesn't want you to.

It's nice that you have your opinion. In my opinion aikido is embodied not by techniques or comparisons to nature or ki or the development of an individual's harmonious balance. It's not that limited. Maybe yours is, but my aikido is something that I plan to take my whole life developing through trial and error, training against resistance and people that want to fight me in a number of environments. I don't believe I'm going to be able to walk in the footsteps of men like S. Takeda, M. Ueshiba, etc. unless I have some idea of the type of shoes they wore and the ground on which they walked. I can also guarantee you that when it was necessary, those guys fought like animals, agriculture and whatever else was necessary in order to survive, bullets and rays of light notwhistanding.

15. vfarias

vfarias New Member

It's always nice to offend someone once in a while... that's the true spirit of Aikido! I think you've choose the wrong MA... maybe you should try a Combat Sport like Muay Thai, i think it suits best your strong personality.

I leave you with this remark:

"As soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you."
    O-Sensei Morihei Ueshiba

Domo Arigato,
    VFarias

p.s. i think that sums it up...

16. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I'm not choosing to offend you, it's your choice to take offense.

I do train in combat sports, I also train in aikido. Guess what, you can do both -- in fact many of the very best and respected Aikidoka in the world (across the martial plane) have done so.

I agree that your post sums it up, but probably not what you think it does.

17. vfarias

vfarias New Member

Hi Budd,

as i posted in the other topic, i'm not going to comment nor quote your statements, you're free to express what you think and that's why this is a democratic forum. This conversation is useless from my point of view. I apologise for my behaviour.

Goodbye,
    VFarias

p.s. i would like to ask you just one question, if you don't mind: How old r u?

18. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Hi VFarias,

I don't mind answering at all. I'm 29, started aikido when I was 15. I started in judo when I was 5 and switched over to wrestling at age 8, which I was able to do up through high school. I trained in karate through college and worked out with some kickboxers that competed at the amateur and small-time pro environment. I currently train in aikido, jodo and submission fighting.

I have a great deal invested in aikido as a means of resolving conflict, but have some issues with how it can be practiced and taught. I don't claim to have anything other than an opinion based on a small amount of experience, a diverse set of training, some research and a great deal of thought.

Best/Budd

19. vfarias

vfarias New Member

OK.

Domo Arigato,
    VFarias

20. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

if you study aikido without any thought of combat then you shouldn't expect to be able to use it effectively in a situation where you are forced to defend yourself

i enjoy studying aikido but i also realize its limitations and don't delude myself into thinking otherwise

learning basics techniques from other arts, especially involving groundfighting can greatly improve your aikido.

i really don't see how there's any argument here.

[edit] i joined aikido because i wanted to learn more about position and footwork :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004