Who's that kenpo guy?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KMA, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bounty

bounty New Member

He only is able to impress the impressable,
    So to be an authority on something you have to tell everybody what you have done
    Ok I have boxed at an amateur level, when I was younger I was an "active" Judoka, I have taken part in freestyle comps for over 20 years, I spar with Thai and kick Boxers and have a regular "roll around" with some grapplers, but my chosen art is Ed Parkers kenpo, it bugs me to see it hijacked by a self promoting joker like this, who has done nothing, contributed nothing but via the internet makes it out that he is "Special" when he is just a loser with a PC
    TB

2. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

No, but it's more than nothing. I was under the impression that Clyde took on all comers, but if not, then so be it. Also, my larger point here was that there were a lot of people that never got outside their dojo and merely sat back to criticized the ones that did. The people they throw stones at might not be very good, but they are puting themselves out there to be criticized. There are different ways to criticize someone that is doing something that you are not. One way, whcih is fair, is to say, "Well, of the various videos and live performances of competitors I've seen, so-and-so isn't very good." We all do that with every type of sports figure. THe other way is "Hey, that guy is a no-talent wimp." which then begs the question: "What is your competition record?"

With someone like Clyde, it's a bit more difficult because he talks so much crap and then posts very mediocre videos as examples of what he can do. It seems that a seventh degree who has fought as much as he claims to have fought would have some better examples to put on display.

Well, again, I've never seen anything impressive that Clyde has put out. How he can put out those videos and boast is beyond me. I've never seen anything of him where he moves anything like his teacher Larry Tatum. I've never seen him put out anything where he moves anywhere near as good as Doc Chap`el either, yet he continues to dismiss him also.

3. bounty

bounty New Member

He has also been very dismissive of Jeff Speakman and his students, which having witnessed how he moves and how they move would be a very painful encounter for Mr. O Briant, heres hoping.
    TB

4. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

I don't practice EPAK and don't know much about Larry Tatum aside from seeing a few clips. Then again, my encounters with EPAK politics have left me skeptical of what a member of any one branch has to say about a member of any other.

5. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

How is he self-promoting exactly? I've never even seen him suggest than anybody train with him.

It seems to me that his chief "crime" is to have strong opinions *and* be willing to show himself in less than ideal situations. I have to admit that I sympathize, since the demonstrative elements of my own art are nonexistant. I've always envied EPAK guys for having cool, rehearsed moves to demo at a moment's notice.

But fighting? That doesn't look nearly as pretty.

6. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

I just looked at that one and it doesn't look *so* bad. It looks more like he's presenting himself as a partner and saving his energy as he's going through a whole room of guys. They seem to keep on coming, though I don't care for the side stance/probing kick business.

When I work out with my son I generally push him to the point of scoring significantly before we stop. That way he always ends on a positive note.

You Know Where had a vid of him sparring, but I don't know if it's still there.

7. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, that's the point. It's not "so bad" but that is not how Clyde presents himself and his skill level.

There's this fat sloppy looking old man named Dave Simmons on San Jose Kenpo that is constantly bashing everyone who puts a video out there and now people are telling him to put one of himself. He's clearly not interested in doing that. Clyde at least puts himself out there for people to see, but it just boggles me how he can say he's better than people like Chap`el etc. when his own videos do not look anywhere near as impressive.

8. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

I've never seen Chapel or a student of his grappling with a judoka, so I can't say myself. I've been crushed by judoka on several occasions and don't think it's says anything bad about a person's standup skills.

9. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, I'm talking about everything Clyde's posted online, not just the Judo guy clip. I'm including his own clip that he used to have on his now defunct website of him demonstrating techniques.

10. bounty

bounty New Member

he thinks every one should be trained by him.

His chief cime is he keeps running people down, when they are not around and licking ass when he meets them, he aint such a bad guy huh.

Ed Parkers (as opposed to th sanitised Clyde LTTK type) kenpo was never designed for competition although that seems to be how folks judge it now, it was designed for reality not fantasy nad when it is done for real it is anything but rehearsed or pretty.

the best less than ideal situation that that clyde posted was when he was lying in his trailer with a dog licking his borz..........

Cylde aint the cure he da disease

11. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

hmmm

I went to a "Throwndown" awhile back and met Clyde. I did not get much of a chance to speak with him but I have to admit he was on the training floor the whole time offering to "stand up" or "roll" with whomever, and he told his opponents to pick the amount of contact and he did not mind. He seemed friendly and approachable, no tough guy attitude---

I give him props. for taking on anyone and everyone that particular afternoon. He sparred with a student of ours who is less experienced and he did not try to be a tough guy, he was helping the student with combinations and working with him, then the next minute he was "rolling" with some big MMA guy a little more seriously.

I do not know much about the politics or anything, and I only saw him on one occasion but he earned respect from me that day.

Just my .02

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

dianhsuhe

Hi,
    I am with you about Clyde I have seen the dvds and his stuff, I have also talked to him numerous times, Personally I like him.

He has my respect even if he give's me a goad once in awhile, sometimes you need it to stay in the right thought pattern. One of the things I am not so sure how good he is going to be when he hits my age I doubt he will be as good as I am, pretty good shape and work out 3 + times a week.

I would trust him, I am sure he is not going to want to hurt some one who has been into the retirement age for some time. Some like him just keep going, look at some of the Filipino guys Dan Inosanto 70 and going stong.
    Cacoy Canete in his 80s I believe...man oh man...I dont know if they scuffled like Clyde but I am sure they train a lot.
    Same with Ben Largusa. Training last year with him was an honor.

Gary

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well come on Gary post up some of your stuff so we can see how good you are at your age.

Seriously though, Clyde is an EPAK 7th degree. Are you seriously saying you're better than he will be at your age?

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

As far as mobility and ability maybe?

No doubt if he lives as long a life as I, he will be lucky to be able to do what I do and can say I do.
    I am saying I have been there and done it, and yes I have some injuries, but I am in good shape. If he continues he will be injured numerous times after he hits 50, I know I have been...LOL

As far as I am concernd in this day and age, it is about knowledge and not always sparring to prove a point. The idea to train and teach does not mean you need to be able to beat them.

Trainers usually were not the champion, but they were and are technicians.

Injuries suck.

Gary