who wants to play?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by med, Mar 12, 2003.

1. med

med New Member

Just thought that i should introduce myself.. i am a 1st dan in the aikido shudokan.(yoshinkan lineage) (sorry for the error shodokan boys, i still wanna play with you guys sometime) i live in devon in the south west of england and trained under one master eddie stratton until his death in 2000..

Just thought i'd suggest that we all (i mean all) should use this forum to get together sometime and play... It seems like all of a sudden i see loads of very cool aikidoka and it would be a shame not to use this medium to communicate in a useful as well as interesting way.. you probably already have done this but i wasn't here dagnamit and now i am, and i wanna play with as many cool people as i can.

www.shudokancoaching.co.uk :yeleyes:

2. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Good to have you onboard med. :)

I'd love the Aikido forum to really get going, but there just doesn't seem to be that many Aikidoka on the site yet, although it is growing slightly over time. If we could get some Ki Society and Iwama-ryu people on board the no doubt we could get some proper argum....debates going :D

Yoshinkan's something I've always wanted to have a look at, but never had the chance, maybe we'll get the chance to organise something in the future between our clubs. We've already had a couple of good get-togetheres with a lot of the contributors on MAP, although as we've already hosted one here in Edinburgh it's probably someone elses turn.

The closest I usually get to your part of the world is when I'm in London for squad training, but if I get a chance (and if you don't mind) I'll try to pop over for a chuck about.

In the meantime, lets try and get this forum moving again!

3. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Potentially lethal technique!

From where i practice, that's what we call a Heaven & Earth throw executed in Tenkan. I believe the traditional aikidoka would call it as Irimi Nage Tenkan.

Sometimes, I get really irritated by some forums belittling and insulting our art. Your picture is a fitting answer to their tirades. I note the proper form of your right arm blade controlling his head (forcing it to its side) and your left hand securely locked onto his shoulder blade (thus preventing him to counterspin and make a counter technique). Now that is what I term CONTROL OF YOUR OPPONENT. In Aikido, your "compassion & sense of harmony" permits your opponent to live because you allow him to (I guess your uke will have by then made a backroll or a break fall). But just to emphasize a point to all those Aikido bashers, note that should MED apply extreme pressure to his right arm and push hard with his left hand while at the same time slide laterally to his left, the poor uke would have already snapped his neck by then.

Many modifications can be done to a simple Irimi Nage Tenkan technique that will in turn make it lethal and devastating. We Aikidokas simply choose not to. So bashers... be grateful. ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  4. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

I know that technique as a Tenchi Nage not Irime am i wrong? now i'm confused.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Tenchi Nage means roughly 'Heaven and Earth Throw'. This normally relates to taking a high and low kusushi (balance break) to throw your uke.

What meds doing in the photo doesn't seem to have a low kusushi, I'd go with it being an Irimi (Entering).

Of course, this is just a snapshot (good timing by the way) so I haven't got a clue what the set up was.

Col

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

What is the position of his left hand/arm...

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Getting together to play/practice/drink beer/whatever is a grand idea! I, um, don't live in the UK, though. But it's a great idea anyway!

That pic looks like irimi-nage to me, but sure, move the left hand somewhere else and I would call it tenshi-nage. Whatever. The important thing is that it worked. A couple nights ago in the dojo we practiced irimi-nage against yokomenuchi. Imagine Med doing the same thing in that picture, but standing on the inside, instead of the outside. One of the senior students put a lot of energy into it to see what would happen. He knocked me half way across the room. We were more gentle after that. Don't want to bump unexpectedly into the other students. I submit that the same technique would/could work against a boxer's hook punch too.

I love this stuff!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  8. med

med New Member

woah!!

wow i didn't think id start a full on discussion.. pictures really do speak a thousand words....
    thanks for your appraisal gravity i appreciate such comments from fellow aikidoka. although i must admit i dont really care if poeple belittle our art.. they can think what they like. the ignorant are not my concern. plus i dont train to brake faces. but i appreciate where you are coming from. and your points are all accurate i think. as far as what technique iom doing we would refer to it as irimi nage but our entering tenshinage is very similar... i wont go into the differences cos they are mostly cosmetic and based in the nature of the technique. so your all right really. plus there is the other point.... who really actually cares!?? :D
    for those that do heres one for you.. name it and ill give you a biscuit.. (i am of course joking i cant afford a biscuit..)

9. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Id have to guess a Shiho Nage or possibly an outside irimi.
    The first pic looks like the end of a tenkan irimi nage to me but in our ryu the hips would be forward/inline with the uke so Im not 100 percent sure.

Good to see another aikidoka in the house :)

10. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Sorry to interupt but I'm kinda curious about Aikido, though I really don't know anything about it other then how to spell it. Can someone give me some other style to relate it too, or an example as to what it is about? I mean obviously it has takedowns in it, but is it striking, grappling, or both?

11. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Hey Nimrook, aiki is a grappling art but it generally doesnt goto the floor like BJJ. It incorporates alot of throws and wristlocks and some submission techniuqes. Its roots stem from aikijutsu which stems from japanese jujitsu so if you are familiar with any of those then that should give you an idea. Aikido dojos vary from school to school, some are very spiritualitic oriented and some are combat oriented so visit a few if you have more than one available.

here is a website full of aikido clips
    http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~murray/aikido/mpegs.html
    Im not 100 percent sure but sadly I bleieve John Murray past away a few years ago and Im not sure how much longer FSU is going to host his site.

12. aikiMac

Re: woah!!

Hmm. Reminds me of sumi-otoshi ("corner drop"), and it reminds me of tenshinage ("heaven and earth"). Hmm... I'll guess this is one-armed tenshinage done at the shoulder joint.

13. med

med New Member

i think youve all suffered enough... its absolutely and unequivically a blokeattackedmesoishimmyaroundandtwirlywhirlyupandoverstamponhisballsendingwithaprettycoolsortadropadncirclethingwithasillylookonmyface nage..FACT!! no biscuits for you lot. which is good cos i cant afford one..

14. aikiMac

[looks again] [looks again] Oh ya, you're right!

What's a "biscuit" ? I'm American, okay? British slang sometimes confuses me.

15. med

med New Member

a cookie i think.. i dont think its slang i think thats actually the right word...

16. aikiMac

A cookie? Oh.

To us, biscuits are either (1) what we feed dogs, or (2) little round-ish breads eaten for breakfast or dinner, that bear no resemblance at all to dog biscuits, and are quite good with jam or butter.

Cookies are flat. Biscuits are not flat. Cookies are for desert or maybe for a snack. Biscuits are part of an actual meal.

17. cripplefujitsu

cripplefujitsu New Member

Wow. Sign up for the aikdo and stay for the legal definition of biscuit. Kickass. Aikimac, next time I'm down your way we should get together....for aikido and biscuits.

Love the fact a picture sparks us off so much. Got a bone to throw to all the aikidoka out there, and the rest of you aikido fans are certainly welcome to toss out your two cents.

I'm a wheelchair-bound student. That means to footwork, folks. And pivoting restricted to the capacity of a half paralyzed lumbar spine. I study in Obata-san's school with one of the coolest people I've ever met in North Liberty, Iowa, yes folks, very redneck indeed...so yeah, sensei and I are absolutely *******izing conventional aikido and looking for imput.

Any thoughts?

18. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

Med's description of the technique is definitely the best - because, let's remember, we're all trying to escape from the bounds of set technique into the realms of pure aiki, right? Might take me a while, in fairness...

Oh, I don't think I'd call biscuit 'slang,' either. Just remember where your language came from AikiMac - and get out of your desert from time to time! (friendly taunting). If we wanted to use British slang, we'd have said 'fancy popping round for a cuppa and some biccies, guvnor,' or some other **** Van Dyke pseudo-Cockneyism.

It's funny how some people slag Aikido. There IS bad Aikido out there, jsut like there's bad karate, judo and everything else under the sun - but good Aikido properly applied is far from playfighting.

At my dojo in Japan, many of the members have several dan gradings in various martial arts. One ex-Self Defence Forces guy in the dojo has a total of 41 Dan in all the martial arts he has studied, including 8-Dan Jukendo, 4-Dan Sholinji Kempo among several others. If they take Aikido seriously, I don't see what right anyone has not to! In fact, I find that most of Aikido's detractors are people with a couple of belts in one martial art and no other experience.

19. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

Wow - they censored D.i.c.k Van Dyke's first name. I'll have to call him Richard.

20. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

:D LOL LOL :D :p I actually thought that was a technique against a tsuki going to your stomach , you don't go in a 45 avoiding movement but stright to your oponent guide your hand between the opponent's arm and side using a kind of irime nage ( down direction ) like if had an insect on tour knee and you want to take it off :rolleyes:

:( my english just gets worst and worst , i hope you understood what i tried to tell you :)

Anyway MED we are waiting for another picture to guess. :)