White Collar Boxing Fatality

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitch, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Unlicensed boxing used to be prosecuted, and now it isn't due to the rise of MMA events, I don't actually know the specific reasons why, but I would be interested in finding out why.

From what I understand UWC and other white collar, don't collect injury data, as they are unlicensed, and therefore don't have any statutory sports council laws applied to them.

I might have a quick Google later on and see how many deaths have occured in the UK, iirc there has been a few deaths, but I can't remember the details.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Unlicensed boxing used to be prosecuted, and now it isn't due to the rise of MMA events, I don't actually know the specific reasons why, but I would be interested in finding out why.

From what I understand UWC and other white collar, don't collect injury data, as they are unlicensed, and therefore don't have any statutory sports council laws applied to them.

I might have a quick Google later on and see how many deaths have occured in the UK, iirc there has been a few deaths, but I can't remember the details.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I definitely think it's a problem that any combat sport events aren't obliged to provide data on injuries.

I guess until an MP takes notice and takes it up with parliament nothing will happen.

4. Dead_pool

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You'd want to be at least physically fit enough to keep your hands up after a few 3 minute rounds, after that I get tappy but in a playful way. I haven't punched anyone really hard in the face in about 5 years.

I don't think it's a matter of time training really, as much as it's a matter of mentality and condition at a given moment. Training day to day, vs. training for competition, the big difference is condition.

I had a conversation with someone today about "white collar" vs. "blue collar", with regards to financial crime. That made me wonder if part of the issue with this whole thing is in the branding. That said, that's just about the root issue here? Marketing? I would personally never assume anyone was "white collar" inside a boxing ring, but I can understand why a lot of untrained souls would run in there. And regret it instantly. But like Dead Pool said, this is a mixed bag of individual fighters, not some binary "they trained enough and lives/they didn't train enough and died" situation. For all we know, this guy was a decently fit and trained boxer.

He could turn out to be a morbidly obese guy who died from a heart attack, or maybe it was a stroke.

Maybe it had nothing to do with training at all. But positively, this issue might shine some needed light on the subject. I thought the people screaming about HELMETS aren't up to the state of the art on CTE science. IIRC, we chatted about this years ago, helmets don't really help against serious head trauma. Dodging does. :D

Mitch likes this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is a great point. I've seen people sent directly to the ER during such events with severe head injuries (with helmets on). The reason? Absolute mismatches in experience.

One of the niceties of sanctioned boxing is there is usually a balance between opponents. These unlicensed venues in the US/UK seem to be a little more brutal, unbalanced, and the crowds love it.

Mitch likes this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin