Which Taiji system has the most martial?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by DAT, Apr 19, 2004.

1. DAT

DAT Valued Member

My brief exposure to Taiji indicates that Chen has the most martial including the most Chin-na. Granted there is martial in all styles of Taiji but it seems more overt in Chen and more intertwined with the core concepts of the movements and teaching.

Although I study the 37 posture Yang, I would like to progress in more martial internal and there isn't any good Hsing-I/Bagua around. Is Chen my best option?

2. Hugh

Hugh New Member

The thing that I have noticed about Tai Chi is that it is very difficult to generalise when comparing styles because it depends a lot on the interpretation of the sifu who teaches it.

I currently study Chen Tai Chi. My sifu teaches an unusual style that is quite possibly the closest existing style of Chen to what was originally taught in the Chen village. It is extremely martially-focued and very external visually. However, I have also seen Chen Tai Chi that is performed so slowly and steadily that it looks more like Yang.

My point is that you'd have to check out any nearby Chen teachers to see if they provide what you are looking for. There is quite a wide variety and differentiation in tai chi, even within so-called "styles".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Who is your Sifu Hugh?

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

My sifu is Chris Lomas who was taught by James McNeil. Chris runs the UK branch of the Little Nine Heaven school. Check out the link in my sig if you're interested, although that site is focused on McNeil's LNH school in Rainbow, California.

5. YODA

Thanks.

Have you heard of a guy in Manchester called Dave Nicholson? Opinions?

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

No I must admit I haven't. should I have? :) I am vaguely aware of the Chen Tai Chi Centre run by Master Liming Yue which is based in Manchester. Is he affiliated to this school at all?

7. YODA

I'm not sure - one of my students is training under him and I recently attended a seminar run by him.

Seems to know his stuff.

8. Hugh

Hugh New Member

No, sorry, haven't heard of him. I'm only a newbie as far as Tai Chi is concerned, having only done it for 4 months. I'll let you know if I bump into him though :)

9. RobP

RobP Valued Member

"Have you heard of a guy in Manchester called Dave Nicholson? Opinions?"

I've known Dave for many years, he has a great understanding of hsing i and taiji and also some systema training. If you are looking for practical work he's your man - no bull, just straightforward work.

Most of the taiji teachers I've seen in the UK, Chen or Yang, are pretty much the same. Depends largely what you are looking for - to learn lots of forms, to "look cool", to get fit, to find a "guru", self defence...

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Most Martial

From the research that I have done, Chen is described as the most "martial"
    by a variety of different sources. It'll depend a lot on your sifu and how that person teaches.

11. keith1892

keith1892 Valued Member

hi high

hey hugh, i'm glad to hear that you're learning chen tai chi from chris lomas...his tai chi is amazing. i myself am learning from sifu mcneil directly. i hope your training is going well and i hope chris is showing you a lot, he's a good man and trains very hard. best of luck to you!

12. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

If your looking at the immediate external signs of martial content than Chen style looks more martial due to it being less transparent than Yang Style. I would however agree that there are Yang Style teachers who teach the martial aspects with equal intensity and application as some of those teaching Chen. Yang Style is just more transparent in it's form work compared to Chen but the applications are still there.

Find a teacher in either style who is teaching the martial curriculum and you can't go wrong; it's not a Chen vs Yang thing but down to teachers as both these arts are Martial Arts.

13. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

bla bla bla. You cant really count chen as being true taichi anyhow - especially since most of the 'inner secrets' had been penned from a xing yi manual!

Still, as for getting back on topic, and not big-upping each other on how great chen is, why hasn't anyone said wu style yet? It has been, and still remains one of the most combat orientated styles. And lets not forget quan ping yang - so damned evil that you need to wear headguards and gum shields, just for push hands!

14. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I'm curious to know the content of that statement ... :)

Not many people are brave enough to make that statment ... I would agree that there are seniors among my milieu who believe Chen to be a long fist and not Taijiquan. It isn't Taijiquan anyway since Taijiquan was the name given to Yang Lu Chans art by an observing court poet, and no other art.

Again, the man maketh the art ... I visited with Master Sam Li who is a modern day Wu Style lineage holder with direct family connection to Ma Yueh Liang ... His father, a famous Wu stylist, who has had many articles written about him in various Tai Chi and Kung Fu/Qigong magazine is highly revered also.

Basically the class, the students and Master Sam Li were appallingly bad ... I couldn't even begin to describe how woeful it was! For a solid lineage holder and Wu family flag bearer this did not leave me thinking very highly of Wu Style in it's modern sense.

At the end of the day it's about individual teachers, not so much the style. I must still say however that if you can find a combat oriented Yang Style teacher then thats where I'd be laying my hat. ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  15. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

If there is one thing I love about Tai Chi, it's the fact that the squabbles between differing Tai Chi factions are almost more acrimonious than some of the famous Wing Chun squabbles of the (I can't remember exactly) 80's ? early 90's???

It matters not a jot if you do Chen, or Yang, or Wu or Hou or Li or Lee or any other style - there are people in ALL those styles (and some lineage holders too no doubt) who couldn't knock the skin off of a rice pudding and there are others who are simply awesome.

One of the best Chen stylists I know (and NO I'm not saying who) - is simply NOT a fighter - the person is a Martial Artist - their artistry is immense but NOT their fighting ability... Why? Because that's NOT why they do Tai Chi... I can also thing of a Yang style master for whom that is true - but this master has a student who is one of the best damn fighters you NEVER want to tangle with - Why, because there was a time when because of circumstances beyond his control he had to engage in fights that were for life-and-death survival.

Martial artists in general and young martial artists in particular - worry about fighting efficiency and WHO IS THE BEST - the absolute truth is that the VAST majority of the people in the world who study martial arts - DON'T FIGHT!!!!! The vast majority are learning it for health or relaxation or competition or fun...

I personally believe that a Tai Chi instructor should understand the martial principles behind the art simply because it lets you teach a more rounded art and one where the biomechanics of the moves are more likely to be healthy - There are reports of non-martial Tai Chi teachers not understanding the basics of safe stances and movement...

So... If you want a martial Tai Chi, find a martial Tai Chi teacher.

All the best.

Robert.

16. samharber

samharber New Member

Another vote from me for Dave Nicholson, but I was under the impression he lived out in the wilds near York.

17. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Hear hear!

18. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

i know close to nothing about Tai Chi but was wonderin are the styles of Kung Fu that are listed on the site in your signature part of Chen Tai Chi? why not take Splashing Hands the site you provided says it is very Martial and street orientated.

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Whose sig are you refering to??

If it's mine - I do have a link to a Chen style instructor - see links then Karel Koskuba - but I don't get your reference to Splashing Hands?

All the best.

Robert.

20. RobP

RobP Valued Member

"Another vote from me for Dave Nicholson, but I was under the impression he lived out in the wilds near York."

He does, but teaches once a month in Manchester - mostly Sun style and Hsing I I think.