which style for me

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jason, Jun 20, 2003.

1. jason

jason New Member

As I read through the posts here an elsewhere I keep finding different and more obscure (to me) styles...so now I'm really confused.

I'm 35, 6'1" 170 pounds, and in good shape, but I really need (not just want) to learn to both defend myself and kick ass.

This probably sounds strange, but with in the next year or so I expect to be facing at least 2 guys that are bigger than me and who will want to hurt me bad. I don't expect to see them at the same time, but who knows. Unfortunately it's unavoidable.

One is a little shorter than me and 70 pounds heavier, the other is about 4-5" taller and weighs nearly 150 pounds more than me.

SO, I'm reading circular and linear moves - guess you really need both - but more circular with larger opponents?

Then again, if they get hold me, I'll need to get out before I'm crushed !!!!

So far I'm thinking hapkido, first, and then jujitsu.

Am I on-base with this???

Thanks.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

which style

Hapkido and jujitsu take more than a year to learn.

How about knife fighting? The Filipino martial art is variously called escrima, arnis, and kali. As far as anyone can tell it's 3 names for the same thing. Excellent boxing skill, excellent "jujitsu" locks and throws, made for real-life fighting, and you can be pretty good in a year.

And there's always muay thai and western boxing.

But of course, the best thing to do is to not fight. I think all the martial arts masters everywhere have said that all through human history. If they didn't, the numbers of dissenters is so few as to be irrelevant. Toward that end I suggest that you attend church, read the Bible, and take up aikido. You'll be amazed at what a strong spirit can accomplish. When all is said and done the spirit is more powerful than the body anyway. That's something else all the martial masters said. Hmm. Interesting. Martial arts and Jesus agree. How'd that happen? Well, Jesus did slip through a crowd of angry thugs, and chase everyone out of the Temple, so maybe he knew something about physical confrontations.

3. jason

jason New Member

But doesn't 'knife fighting' imply I'd have to carry a knife?

Not that that's a problem, but it seems a little pre-meditated.

I want to learn to defend myself and be able to end at attack.

I don't want to go around attacking or hurting anyone.

But I figure with guys so much bigger than me, the later being nearly twice my weight, I want to be able to deflect AND stop the attack.

Of course I would prefer to avoid it all together. And aside from the aikido, I do the other 2 you mentioned.

So, this muah thai...I can get decent enough in that in a year?

Also, I guess it's going to be a matter of what types of styles have instruction available in my area. Luckily I'm in a diverse area near NYC, so I should be able to find one that will fit me.

To re-confirm - you're saying escrima or muay thai I could get somewhat proficient in within a year?

Thanks dude.

4. cioGium

cioGium New Member

boxing

if i were you i with go with boxing. But, there always is a BUT- you must tell your boxing teacher that you want to learn boxing for self-defense because if you learn to hit with gloves you will crack your hands for sure the first time you'll hit without them.

this is my oppinion, but there are some guys here that can tell you better.

p.s. but if you have to fight don't forget to hit hard and multiple times!

5. aikiMac

which style

A knife ends an attack better than a fist or foot. But no, you don't have to carry knife. In the Filipino martial arts, fighting without a knife is the same thing as fighting with a knife. They don't differentiate.

If you are going to attack first, then yes, carrying the knife is evidence of premeditation. But otherwise, no, it does not imply anything.

Advice: Check the statutes for where you live. Sometimes four-inch blades are illegal. Sometimes they're not. Sometimes a folded knife clipped to your pants pocket is illegal. Sometimes it's not. NYC, you say? Democrats. They don't like freedom, period. Consequently they don't like self-defense. Fighting back is "bad." They're anti-liberty. You might not be able to legally carry a knife. Definitely need to check the statutes. Doesn't matter, though, for escrima. You'll do the same thing with your hand that you would do with a knife.

That's escrima. Muay thai doesn't deflect attacks. It absorbs or ducks.

Yes. Moreso with muay thai, because it's simpler than escrima.

6. jason

jason New Member

I've been looking for an escrima instructor since your first reply, and it seems at least categorically that they differentiate between escrima, arnis, and kali...and there are a few different arnis's it seems too. Then there are lots of other styles under Filipino martial arts too.

I guess I will stick with escrima or muay thai then.

Sorry for sounding so ignorant on this, but how many lessons do you normally do a week when starting and with a time frame like mine?

Also, with escrima or muay thai, is there much sparring, or is it a lot of individual movement.

Thanks again knife fighter.

And cioGium, I don't know about boxing. I mean these guys are big, and if they grab hold of me, wouldn't I need some techniques to get out of their hold?

Thanks guys.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Why can you not avoid these guys?

They sound like fat ****s unless they're shooting 'roids, so couldn't you outrun them?

I would say MMA/JKD - should learn boxing, muay thai and some grappling which will cover you at all ranges. If you're going to run into these guys one at a time and you're one on one, I'd consider taking it to the ground as it's the ultimate equaliser for someone smaller - all you'd have to do is get mount on them and start raining down punches which wouldn't be hard to do on someone with no training.

Check out www.geoffthompson.com , you might consider ordering 'The Fence' and '3 second fighter'. Setting up a fence, which is basically establishing a fence with your hands to create a psychlogical barrier for the opponent, then initiating the pre-emptive strike seems like a better option than waiting for these guys to swing at you, or swinging at them when they're ready.

8. jason

jason New Member

I'm sure I could outrun them, but I don't know if I'd be able to.

It's kinda complicated, but basically these guys are going to be, on some level, in my life for years to come. I'm expecting the biggest flare-up to be in about a year, and even running, their anger is going to remain in full force until they can get it out of their system.

In the meantime, I need to occassionally be where one or both of them will be.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what MMA/JKD stands for.

Thanks for the help.

9. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Uh, Jason "basically these guys are going to be, on some level, in my life for years to come". The advice the others gave you is great but best by far was knifefighter when he advised to avoid the fight. Get prepared, train and learn but dont believe physical confrontation is inevitable.
    MMA is mixed martial arts and JKD is jeet kune do a good instructor could help you a lot in a year. Do you realise if they hear you are doing this they may think you are seeking a fight.

10. jason

jason New Member

Well I realize that if they heardof this they would expect I'm seeking a fight, but I'm 100% certain they won't find that out.

AND, I'm not seeking a fight - I just want to be prepared.

The guy that's over 320lbs is very immature, and I'm thinking he's more likely to cause trouble.

Thanks for the acronym clarification.

Thanks.

11. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

yea muay thai is very good, that should sort u out ready for taking some blows, wen the time comes remember, plz dont kick too high because they may catch it unless you are a fast kicker, if not, kick low and u will stay safe,(around waist area is about the highest if ur not fully trained. also use multiple limbs dont just use ur fists, remember to use legs at same time eg. when u are letting loose with your punches bring in the knee too a few times, maybe even add an elbow or 2. if u have some spare time take up tae kwon do (of corse i am going to say that because i do it) its got devistating kicks, where i go we practice grappling and we also do alot of punches and the "1 step set" these are moves that you might be looking for when trying to deflect and counter an attack and getting out of holds. ever thought about looking at the human anatomy and perhaps finding out where is best to hit?. if u get in a head lock try to turn your head so you are looking horizontally instead of vertically, this should take the pressure off of your arteries that supply the brain with blood or the wind pipe depending on where they are applying pressure, if they are applying it hard did u know that u have potentially 4 minutes to get out of that lock before u get some real damage, try on yourself and find out where the kidneys are, if u press on that when in a head lock that will hurt them and its easy to get at when ur in a head lock. i dont know if u have read all of this it may of not been interesting i hope you did though. i am by no means a martial arts master or the best here, there are others who could let your know more, i am just passing on my experiences to you, thats it from me.

12. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Where did you learn this? 4 minutes or 4 seconds?

A well applied choke should take seconds to put someone to sleep and I guarentee you it wouldn't take me 4 minutes to put someone to sleep! :D

Tuck your chin in when you turn it horiztonally as you tuck it into your shoulder.

13. aikiMac

Approximately 4 seconds on a choke that squeezes the arteries, not 4 minutes. Been there, passed out. Also seen it happen to other people. It takes many minutes to fully recover your senses.

That of course varies with the school, but as a rule, muay thai gyms put a lot of emphasis on sparring.

JKD is a good choice too. I should have thought of that earlier. The core of JKD is wing chun plus muay thai (for the boxing and kicking skills) plus escrima (to polish boxing skills, introduce locks, and for weapons) plus some kind of ground wrestling. Might be BJJ, might be freestyle. Other stuff are added on top of this according to the vagaries of the particular instructor. JKD is an excellent foundation, and yes, sparring is emphasized because of their "prove to me that it works" attitude.

I still say it's better to not fight.

14. jason

jason New Member

Cool on the JKD suggestion. I found an instructor 2 towns away, and already emailed him to see if he's available.

I really like that you see it as a good foundation - kinda well-rounded it seems like you're saying.

Hey, I really don't want to fight. I really don't.

I just need some confidence and ability in case it becomes inevitable.

I know it should never be 'inevitable', but my personal life is kinda messed up, and it just may be.

Thanks so much guys. I've learned so much already.

Jason

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Depending on how much time your willing to give to it, a years a bit of a tight timescale to work on. I'd encourage you to practice a style that emphasises contact sparring to get you used to the adrenaline and getting hit. Something like Muay Thai or Boxing, try to get some Ju Jitsu or Escrima/kali as well for the more close in fighting.

Col

16. RedSkaNite

RedSkaNite New Member

I don't know about what you guys thing....but this sounds odd to me. If I knew two big guys were after me, I would confront them and tell them about it, preferably after I had contacted the police.

I also wouldn't take up a martial art just because of 2 guys being mean to me. I would get myself some pepper spray or something. I don't know this just sounds.....odd. If you know who your attackers are, and have a good idea of when they are gonna be after you, there ought to be a way to avoid it.

17. jason

jason New Member

On the topic of how much time I'm willing to give it...how often do you normally have a class - like once a week, and then just practice movement or something on your own?

18. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Yo, i been doing Muay Thai for a month now, and there is 2 lessons a week. That will keep u very fit, and help u learn the art. I do a hell of a lot of work on my own, playing sports like basketball, and i do a lot of skipping and running, and sit ups etc. Not only will this help u get in shape quicker, it will make u more confident about yourself, and help you get better at your chosen martial art (fitness is kinda important)

19. teacher

teacher Valued Member

If you want to improve fast you want as much time with more experienced people as possible and solo work on fitness and techniques. This is what I meant earlier about them finding out. It will become a serious lifestyle choice. People close to you will notice your training or even your training gear. If you plan on working out in a locked room your family will notice. But do it we love our martial arts.:)

20. Topher

Topher allo!

Isn't JKD a philosophy that can be applied to any style. It just focuses simplicity and directness.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2003