Which one to use!?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Jondo, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jondo

Jondo New Member

sup, a quick introduction of my martial arts backround, ive been doing tae kwon do for about 4 years and i do it because its the only martial art that literally works better if u go crazy jumping, evading, and kicking the entire dojo up. so i was wondering which classical weapon would be best to suit my style, i was thinking either a bo staff or a glaive to compliment my range(im 6'3", long legs). also, would a sycthe be useable as a weapon, because even though a long 2 handed sycthe isnt used for battle i would think its strangeness would make it unpredictable to my opponents.

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Where exactly would you be performing with these weapons?

3. Jondo

Jondo New Member

training, same with my tae kwon do. of course i would never use these weapons on a real person. but well i figure its jsut not right to have unarmed training without some weapon training

well i do have a claymore with which im pretty good with...i guess im jsut bored with it

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

first, see what weapons training is available to you.

5. Jondo

Jondo New Member

most of the time i teach myself, hell i berly even go to my dojo, i train mostly at my house, but i only go to make sure that my techniques are right and im not training wrong.

and with my sword its pretty heavy so ive trained myself how to carry it differently, how to swing it differently.

for example if u push the end of the sword downwards with one hand and push upwards with another it severly decreases the energy used to hold it, and shifting ur body to swing it so that u can use ur torso, back, and ab muscles along with ur arms lets u swing it no prob. another trick ive learned from jsut weilding it is that u can use the momentum from one swing to carry out the next. its really kind of fun, every time i get my hands on a new weapon i figure out the best way i can swing it and hold it with using the least amount of energy possible. then i can jsut make techniques with it.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Listen Lad, I hate to break it to you but you aren't learning how to use a sword. All you are doing is learning how to wave it about. Swordsmanship requires instruction, paired drills and proper foot work. This is the same with any weapon. I'm sorry but won't actually know how to use any of these weapons. It will only be weapon waving if that's what you want then this is the wrong place for you.

The Bear.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

First things first: quit with the text speak. It's against Terms of Service and is bloody annoying. Secondly, run your post through a spelling and grammar checker (unless of course you are trying to save time by using bad English, in which case you should quit with it). Thirdly, this is not the best place for "self-teaching" of MA.

As the Bear has said already, you are not actually learning how to use a sword. You are simply learning to swing it around in a dangerous manner.

If you wish to learn to use a weapon, first find what clubs offer in your area. If you can't find a club offering a weapon you are interested in, you will have to either look further afield or choose not to learn that particular weapon for the time being.

You simply cannot learn a martial art - and in particular a weapons-based art - without proper instruction.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

great

9. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

ROTFLMAO :D

Listen to the Bear though, he's spot on with correct advice

10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'd just give you a provocative alternative to Polar Bears reply. First off, I totally second Polar Bears advise, why invent the gunpowder all again all by yourself, as we say in Norwy.

But if you do want to invent the gunpowder all by yourself, here's my advise:

First off, you must decide what you actually wants to do:
    A: Sport
    B: Self defence
    C: estetic style/workout-kata
    D: Historical self defence

If you're into A or D, just forget it, and do what the others advise you to...

If you're thinking about C, you're free to go, just make sure you don't destroy anything in the process (the infamous star-wars-kid is a good example, and it's probably better for his body to wave a pole around than to just sit still in his comfy-chair, drinking soda, eating burgers and watching star-wars on TV).

If you're into B, you have to re-envent the gunpowder. -It is actually pretty costly, and you'll probably end up spending as much money as if you skipped this (which I recomend), and joined a proper class...
    *First get your hand on a proper tool. Don't buy wallhangers that breaks and kills/injures you/others.
    *You allso need some safe training-tool to train with.
    *Get yourself a partner, preferably many, so you don't stiffen in your own patterns and habbits.
    *Train on whatever situation you like, and try to find different possible counters, then stress-test them, then start drilling in those you think works.
    BE AWARE THAT THIS WAY YOU'LL PROBABLY GET ABOUT 90% WRONG, AND IF YOU AT A LATER STAGE YOU DECIDE TO GO FOR REAL WEAPON-TRAINING, YOU'LL HAVE TO FIGHT YOUR BAD HABBITS, WICH ARE 1000 TIMES HARDER TO GET OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM AS IT WAS TO GET IT INTO YOUR BODY....

*You should allso attend to as many seminars as possible, from instructors, in order to test that what you're inventing in your boys-room isn't completely basket-case, but as you seem to not like to train in dojos, you will probably skip that point.

In the end, nobody (sane) train with medieval weapons for self-defence-reasons, anyway, so you'll never be able to see if your system actually works or not. (You might attend SCA-tournaments, or LARP-events, (if they deem you safe to spar with) -and perhaps you can test out your system there, but for self-defence-purposes, that doesn't count, as both SCA and LARPing is a sport-system that do not reflect reality, either in modern socoety, or on a medieval battlefield ;)

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

First of all, I agree that you can't be self-taught. Especially with a weapon. You're learning a martial art. Everything is about the relationship between you and your opponent. It can't be learned alone. As others have said, you're learning to twirl a weapon. Not apply it.

Second, I think you'll find that classical weapons don't lend themselves to "crazy" anything. Classical weapons work is really pretty restrained. Learning the staff or spear, if you're comfortable at long range, certainly makes sense. But find a teacher. Do it properly.

That goes for the taekwondo too, quite frankly. Popping in occassionally to make sure you're doing it right isn't enough. If you're not doing it against someone, you're not doing it right. Schools don't exist solely to provide information. They provide resources, primarily training partners.

Stuart