Which Martial Art is Best?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by JenSte, Jul 21, 2020.

1. JenSte

JenSte New Member

Looking for a martial art that meets the following criteria:

-no jumping (or very limited)
    -preferably shoes allowed OR can mostly be done on a mat (no standing barefoot on hard floors)
    - no pivots on feet (or very occassional pivoting)
    -not interested in wrestling - so no judo, for example
    -not interested in boxing

This is because of a problem with someone's feet who'd like to do karate but can't for all of the above reasons. What is the next closest type of martial art that this person could learn?

2. JenSte

JenSte New Member

Mod Note: Duplicate thread starter deleted as threads were merged.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

4. Xue Sheng

Boxing

Grond likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tai chi,Kali, Ninjutsu, aido?

6. Xue Sheng

all have pivoting, well, I don't know what aido is, but the OP wants an art without pivoting

7. Pretty In Pink

I assumed when they said pivoting they meant "fast and explosive pivoting".

8. JenSte

JenSte New Member

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify what I mean by pivoting... cannot put all weight on the ball of the foot and raise the heel off of the ground - then turn the foot left or right. For instance, a roundhouse kick requires you to put all of your weight on one foot, lift the heel off of the ground, then pivot or turn the foot while the second leg is in the air.

It's ok if the foot shifts on the ground to turn the body around, just as long as there is no need to stand up on the toes.

Is there any martial art where you can avoid this and also avoid jumping? It's more of a pain thing, and not because of limited muscular movement or strength. As I said earlier, not interest in boxing or wrestling/judo. But I'll check out kali, ninjutsu and aido, like someone here suggested. (Did you mean aikido or aido?)

thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. Pretty In Pink

No I meant Aido, a sword based meditative art that focuses on how to draw a blade. It's mostly ceremonial. Although what you're describing just about any martial art will be difficult. In fact I'd probably recommend BJJ because you're rarely on the ball of your foot..

axelb likes this.
  10. JenSte

JenSte New Member

OK, I'll look into that one too. I know it's a tough set of limitations to avoid. Really don't like stuff like wrestling and judo where someone is on your chest - it gets into my personal bubble and really don't like that. Karate is awesome but can't do it anymore. Hopefully tai chi won't be the only option for me.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think they mean iaido.....

Fencing, jodo, and kendo might be worth a try too.

12. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Hi JenSte,

In what area do you live? It might be more productive to look at what is available to you (one the Covid situation is safe) and see what might be possible.

13. JenSte

JenSte New Member

Kali is perfect. Gonna be tough to find a local place to train though. First time I've even heard of it.

Maybe I'd consider BJJ if it's a class only for women. I'd have to try and see.

But kali looks awesome and you can even wear running shoes which is perfect. I could even put my orthotics in my shoes.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Hi JenSte, in what area do you live? If you can tell us what is available in your area, we could offer better suggestions.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Just to chime in on Fencing. Initially there is very little jumping or pivoting with footwork and you can absolutely fence to a certain degree without those elements. However the more you fence competitively and/or against other more experienced fencers elements of bouncing, jumping back and pivoting do come into play if you want to fence to full efficiency. Also from what you described regarding the ball of the foot Fleche attacks might be a no/no. Classical fencing (if you can find a school that teaches it in the old way) might be a good fit as they jettisson a lot of the Soviet style physical training drills. HEMA smallsword fencing might be OK as long as grappling is kept to a minimum to just disarms.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Welcome to MAP JenSte! :) Please note that cross posting (posting the same thread or post in multiple areas) is against our TOS. So I merged the threads and deleted the duplicate. You can find our Terms of Service by clicking on the "terms and rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page.

I hope MAP helps you find the answer you are looking for.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  17. JenSte

JenSte New Member

Thanks for your comments everyone. I didn't know that some martial artists train with shoes on until recently. Wearing running shoes is so much better for my feet so I can wear orthotics. I think the easiest approach is to make a list of martial arts that practice with running shoes one, then eliminate if the movements require jumping and standing on your toes.

Based on a conversation with someone in my community, following styles would work best:

Kali, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do

Unfortunately, according to this person, there are tons of McDojos here. So I'll probably wait until covid settles down and I buy a car so I can drive 30 minutes to another city that offers these options. Most should have a free trial class to see which one I like best. In the meantime, I might do some tai chi online to improve focus and concentration.

If you have any other suggestions, go ahead and post here.

18. Xue Sheng

Based on this statement

I doubt Jeet Kune Do is the answer

Jeet Kune Do stance (back leg on ball of foot)

[​IMG]

Jeet Kune Do pendulum step (big thing in JKD)
    [​IMG]

And you can look at Youtube and check out JKD kicking drills to see if you think you can handle them

19. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Been awhile since I have posted...

I was thinking, maybe you should consider private training, you might be able to find an instructor, that can help adjust whatever system to your needs.

I have seen this a few times and seems to benefit the student.

Flying Crane and Xue Sheng like this.
  20. JenSte

JenSte New Member

It's a good idea. But still might get in the way of me passing exams and advancing through the belt system, unless I pick a style that doesn't utilize a lot of the things I shouldn't be doing. If you have to do a roundhouse kick, you have to do one, even with private lessons. It's not something I could avoid doing. But private lessons is something to consider once I decide which martial art to get into.