Which art is best of 'da streets'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dead_pool, Jul 5, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's only one thing herds do.

:D

I'm not going to stick around for you to continuously try to poke at me like a sore tooth. It's getting very tiresome.

But I will say that in that particular situation, my greatest asset was having all the kit needed to escape on foot cross-country on my person, and the skills to use it. As always, it comes down to context, and being able to fight is of no use if you then end up dying of exposure or dehydration, or you can't navigate back to safety.

Again, this incident was small potatoes. My point is that I've got more experience of using SD skills for real than many who claim to teach it, and yet I would still refer people to those with regular year-on-year experience of putting these skills into practice; as long as those instructors were aware of the context of their experience and could suitably advise others on whichever context was necessary for them. Some instructors have survived all manner of dangerous situations, but if they have no experience of other contexts their advice could be as self-defeating as that of those with no experience.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why do you think that is?

If your last few posts were made by a newby they'd get jumped on just the same.

I need to be a bit careful as there is an ongoing court case that hopefully will be concluded at the end of the year, but I was held at knife point this year.

As soon as I'm able to I'll make a thread and we can discuss what happened.

If I post "I defended myself against an attack with a big knife" I'd expect to be called on it unless I added some detail.

3. David Harrison

You missed my point, but never mind.

If it's any consolation, I believe you :)

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Ha. You can save the condescension and passive aggression. I've exercised my critical thinking just fine by my book. I've listen to you and looked at what you train and made an educated assessment. I doubt the authenticity and validity of your claimed experience and your expertise. I also suspect your stories are either straight lies or imbelishments, not because they are particularly far fetched but because they come from you: and your credibility is in question in my view. Happy to be proven wrong and when I'm next in the south west I'd be happy to have my analysis corrected and share a beer whether I still thought marbo was nonsense or not. At the end of the day there is more to life than martial arts.

5. David Harrison

It was meant as playful teasing, not passive aggression. Your disbelief is not a problem; I neither expect nor need your belief. But sure, pop round for a bit of sparring and/or a beer if you're in the area :)

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Without any subtextual chest thumping or implied threat; I most certainly will. You can show me how your group trains and we can spar, drill as much as you like.

7. David Harrison

Never entered my mind. You seem like a reasonable guy :)

There's only one way to find out how we train, and that's to do the training. Everyone's always welcome to do the first session as a no-obligation freebie though :) (NB. if an instructor wants to train them!) We can spar, and you can show me some nifty ways to tie me into a pretzel, I'm sure ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

That is not my intention.
    I was using the discussion as an example.

In relation to how clips of police training, including the use of guns, have relevance in your own SD, you said ...
    I have students in the police and armed forces.

If it was left at that , the perception of that could be pretty impressive. The imagination can go into overdrive.

This happens all the time in this game to give more of a perception that a person knows what they are talking about.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Actually you first asked me how the police train, after i said that DAART style training could be good for the police etc learning soft skills, afterwards you tried to make out I was a police trainer, which Im not, I also first of all said I was interested in the universal training principles, then I said I didnt do anything with guns, then I said Knife SD is important to everyone in the UK, and I have some students who are also in the police and army, which I then clarified immediately, when you thought I officially ran a gun and Knife SD gym for the British Army.

Really Mate trying to imply Im a walt when you dont read the posts fully in the first place is not cool at all.

as an aside - your own teacher -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rcj1qm8GE"]Advanced Knife DVD by Steve Morris - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Well ,there's nothing I can do if you realy think that's my game.
    I'll say again... It's not.

You brought the police up and I didn't ask how they train at all.
    In the end it became clear, but at the point where you said ....I have students in the police and army ...it could be taken a lot of ways.

You even asked questions of someone else yourself when they talked about their gun incident.
    I have seen the vultures gather on here at others too...asking questions when things are said.
    Please don't take it personally. I don't. If you want to I can't help that much.

11. Dead_pool

Asking questions is a good thing, what you've done here is jump on a side comment after you asked me what revelence other peoples SD or force on force training is. And tried to make me out to be a liar.

So question to you, why does Steve morris cover knife work?

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Firearm Awareness is a SD tool. Rather you live in a society that doesn't have any or not. In a analogy, if I lived somewhere were there wasn't any rattlesnakes (guns), but rattlesnakes are part of my main subject; snakes (martial arts-SD), I would still want to learn about rattlesnakes. Thinking about those who have studied Rattlesnake (Firearm ) Awareness , will have that much more knowledge. (In case a rattlesnake happened to escape a zoo or someone went visiting somewhere which may have them) this is "almost" (hence-almost) the same as not learning ground defense because the society or culture one is in, has guns. I live in a "gun society", I would not readily or "solely rely" on a gun for defense

13. David Harrison

Tactics vary so wildly depending on context, and people have such different strengths and weaknesses, that I believe SD should always be tailored to the individual for it to work, and to be efficient in delivery and training time.

Training to fight rattlesnakes is pointless for most people in the UK, as the chance of coming accross one is so remote. However, if you are a zookeeper it may well come in handy. If you are a zookeeper who works in the reptile house, you might use that training to save your life regularly!

Context, context, context...

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Get a grip,man. I have explained.

I dont have to justify Steves training, he can do that himself, he will happliy answer and back up everything he does and, within his training, prove to who ever does it if what he says is justified by putting them in drills or spars where they find out and have it proven,or disproven for themselves.

I dont know where your going with this, if your trying to 'out' me, as simon put it. I havnt trained with Steve for over a year due to injury and then getting made redundant so I know the training has moved on and evolved, so im not in a position to comment nor do I feel comfortable to.
    But im nearly sorted and training and will still back up everything I say.

15. Dead_pool

I'm actually just amazed at how inconsistent your internal logic is.
    You've effectively just said all (knife) sd work is bad, unless it's my own teacher and then I'm not going to discuss it.

16. David Harrison

I went back a few pages and failed to find him saying that.

Could you post a quote or link to that post please?

17. Dead_pool

Will do when back home.

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I fail to see me saying that too.
    Best back that up.

Im actualy finding you a bit weird now. You seem a bit obsessed because I questioned the fact you said you taught the members of the police and army, ....when realy your not a head coach...its a small unknown gym...and its just fellow trainees who are members of the police and army.
    that only came about after a few questions.

Your one of the first to question anyone else and now you think im calling you a liar. I dont know where you train, with whom....what area of the country...no pic.
    Now your just making up things I said.
    Your freaking me out.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

But, just because you don't have rattlesnakes, and your study is about snakes, shouldn't one study about the rattlesnake? And, as I said, what if you wemt somewhere and they didn't have rattlesnackes, but had another dangerous snake? In other words, if you are studying snakes (SD) should you limit yourself to only one

20. Dead_pool

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015