Which art is best of 'da streets'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dead_pool, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Which art is best for 'da mean streets'

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu7YRjd86Y[/ame]

TriStar gym's coach Firas's point of view,

Long and short, Standing clinch and Ground are important, ground is the best/easiest place to start training, Striking is the most important for multiples, but its very very hard to deal with that situation.

What do you guys think?
    What do you think about the open invite to krav guys for future videos?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I turned off at 0.45.

BJJ is the best, yadda, yadda, yadda.

3. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

A damn waste of time, never really once proving his point.

In his own words: "people without experience in fighting, try to find a shortcut." Guess what: majority of people, when they want to get something, usually tries to find shortcuts. As I've posted in another forum, the death of bjj blackbelt Nunes is a big blow to the idea that BJJ taught alone is good enough for self defense. Why? If the shortcuts meant getting weapons, why the hell not?

Now, how often do they train against "cheating"? As I have posted before "confidence = repeated successes." In Firas's case, is that confidence speaking, or is it something else? How often did they had successes in the streets?

To quote a friend of Marc MacYoung: "Ignorance is not a sustainable paradigm in violence professions." When people cheat, it's hard to play catch-up.

In the streets, it's hard to know if somebody's packing, if you don't know what to look for. It's even harder to know what they want, unless they announce it in the most dramatic way possible (aka a weapon to your face). Ignoring the existence of cheating and how it impacts your skillset and options is a fatal move when one finds himself facing the elephant without warning. And that's not the only thing people are ignorant about in the subject: violence in the streets.

No wonder my BJJ instructor, back when I first tried it out, just shook his head when I started yapping about self-defense and told me it's too big and complex a subject.

4. Dead_pool

Actually he doesn't make that argument, he says BJJ is the easiest to start with, but it has to include wrestling, and that striking is essential.

5. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I actually think Muay Thai is best because a punch is the most common attack and the fight will usually start standing.

But some groundfighting is good in case you end up on the ground.

6. Simon

But standing where?

Standing in a bar, at an ATM?

Assuming Muay Thai is the best art for dealing with a punch are you advocating trading blows because you train an a "superior" striking art?

What about FMA in case a knife is involved? Does FMA have the best knife defence?

Do you even need to train in an "art".

Could you be as, or even more effective by taking a 6 week course that included all of the law, de-escalation, posturing, as well as some Geoff Thomson animal day type training?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Best answer is to be aware and avoid it. After that it's being well rounded in everything.

8. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

I disagree with him saying almost all fights are 1-on-1. Granted I don't have any stats, but most stuff I've seen in bars and clubs involves multiple people. Going out completely alone is pretty rare.

9. Dead_pool

No fma doesn't have good knife defense, running is the only high percentage defence.

Simon you teach a kick boxing type art, do you think someone with 6 weeks of training could stop one of your students?

10. Dead_pool

Exactly.

The famous don't be a "naughty boy"
    Don't hang around with "naughty boys"
    Don't hand around kebab shops at 2 am

11. Simon

What do you mean by "deal with".

This is a self defence discussion, so if we're trying to deal with someone then maybe we have our starting position wrong.

After all you've said the only high percentage defence is running.

12. Dead_pool

Yes, and if someone with 6 weeks of training, can consistently outfight your student of several years I'd say something is wrong.

Short term courses can be good to plug the SD specific gaps in "normal training" but that's being well rounded, so a mugger etc can't use there 'shortcuts' on you.

SD is still a fight, its just one where success is survival.

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Statistically in England and Wales most violent crime only involves one attacker. Despite that the mean percentages for two on one and three on one etc are so high that any SD orientated martial art that doesn't factor that into its core tactics isn't orientating its training appropriately.

14. Dead_pool

And what core tactics do you suggest are high percentage for 1 vs 3? Or even 1 vs 2?
    Would being able to move from inferior grappling positions to standing a good tactic?

15. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I believe it is common sense most fights start standing up (please correct me if I'm wrong here), although it might be in such a situation that clinching and grappling happens very quickly.

I don't think Muay Thai is "superior" to every other art, I simply mean that it covers striking very well. I have no doubt there are other arts like karate, TKD, etc that could be just as good. Or RBSD etc.

I don't advocate trading blows, do enough damage to the attacker and then run, call the police, get to safety etc.

Probably FMA does have good knife defence - although never having trained it, I wouldn't know for certain.

As you point out there is more to SD than fighting. And I think those non-fighting skills are important. But so is training in MA in case de-escalation doesn't work.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually 1 on 1 still dominate in fight stats

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then you want boxing

18. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Boxing is good as well.

19. Dead_pool

Would you like to try and mug GSP?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Firas has success in MMA so now thinks he knows about street fighting.

Oh the LOLs.