Where to buy a sword in Bankok

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by jsmith, Nov 13, 2005.

1. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

Hello,

I didn't know what forum to post this in, I figured this one would have the most people familiar with Thailand.

My friend will be in Bankok for several days on business and he said he may be able to pick up a couple swords while he's there. I'm secifically looking for a dha (I think it's sometimes refered to as a "daab" or "darb").

Does anywhere know where to look for a pair? I've heard machette quality ones sell there for about $15 a pair and here for $115.

Thanks

2. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

I know of only one very good swordsmith, but he liveas up north near Chiangmai. This guy's sword will cost about US$50, but most likely you'll have to be on his waiting list for about 3 weeks. If still interested, please let me know, and I'll try to give his phone No., and direction. He doesn't speak English. Nevertheless, his swords could become collectables.

3. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

He won't have much free time, so I don't think he'll be gettin a sword from your guy. I thought it might be something easy to just go and buy in the city.

Thanks for the reply.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If your friend does not speak Thai (and quite probably even if he does) he will have a rather hard time finding anyone selling quality blades of this kind in Bangkok.

The vast majority of these types of blades that I saw when I was living there were crap tourist replicas that you wouldn't want to use for anything other than hanging on your wall.

Nothing wrong with that... but even for that they do not have decent finishing work on them and just look like the tourist item they are. Be forewarned it's not an item that can go in carry on luggage. :D

You are better off ordering from a reputable blacksmith over the internet. Even for wall hangers you stand a better chance of finding a blade with decent finishing work on the internet instead of trying to rely on your friend (however well intentioned) in Bangkok.

I once spent an entire day trying to find the Twin's boxing gear office - and I speak fluent Thai and had been living in Bangkok for some years by then. But with traffic and the misconmmunication that can take place even when you fluently speak the language... the chances are realisitically slim that he'll find a place to buy one.

5. Bubbleob

Bubbleob New Member

I'm planning to go to a school up there next year, could you post this guy's details for me, i'm considering getting a sword myself. Does he have a website with images of his work? Or do you have photos of something you've bought yourself?

Thank you

6. Noi

Noi New Member

Where you going to school Bubblebob, and for what?

7. Bubbleob

Bubbleob New Member

I am planning to go this school

http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/

and study the martial arts that's taught there, hence my interest in the weaponsmith. Depending on how things go over in thailand, i might move there later.

8. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

Below is my PM to a fellow enquirer.
    OK, I've got more information. Lampang province is about 90km south of Chiangmai. Whwn you travel from Chiangmai to Lampang, just about 15-20km before you get into Lampang municipality, there will be an intersection which will get you to Amphur ( district) Hangshut (spelling). You turn left into Hangshut for about 3-4 km from the intersection, and look for a small motorbike repair shop on your left. There is a small drive beside it. The swordsmith house is quite a way down that drive on the left side. Better have someone who can speak Thai or northern dialect fluently to ask for direction. The smith name is Sla Boontan, and his mobile phone number is 09-371-8482. Good luck with your search.[/QUOTE]