Where do YOU think that Richard III should be buried?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Johnno, Feb 13, 2013.

?

Where should Richard III be buried?

1. York Minster

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Westminster Abbey

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Leicester

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't know about the rest of the country, but the hot topic on the local news round these here parts is where the final resting place of King Richard III should be.

The three main places under consideration seem to be:

1) York Minster. Because it's where he made it clear that he wished to be buried.

2) Westminster Abbey. Because that's where English monarchs usually get buried.

3) Leicester. Because that's where his body was given an unofficial burial after he was killed at the battle of Bosworth.

Where do YOU think he should be buried?

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Option number 1, for the simple reason that it was his wish.
    If there is no pressing reason not to, one should honor the dead.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree. Bring him to York if that's what he wanted. :)
    Is there precedent for monarchs being buried where they wanted rather than Westminster?

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm torn on this issue, part of me thinks his final wishes should be honoured and he should be buried in York. However, part of me thinks he should be buried in Leicester because that's were he was found and they put the time, effort and money into the excavation and analysis of the site.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm torn too. I agree that his wishes should be respected, but part of me favours Westminster Abbey in order to 'set the record straight' about him. I'm no royalist, but I think that as monarchs go he was one of the best ones we've had, and it's unfortunate that his reputation still suffers due to political propaganda written after his death.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He wanted to be buried in York, bury him in York.

By all accounts he fought with great courage at Bosworth field and he ruled with a fair hand during his short reign. His wished should be honoured.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the shakespeare play?

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That has probably played the biggest part in creating a false impression of him in the public mind. It was a complete hatchet job, written for political purposes.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Flushed?

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hmm...where should Richard of York be buried???

Tricky that....:) ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i'd say leave him in the parking lot, butthats just my evilness.

My logic says give him what he wanted. I'll go with my logic.

after all the russians gave the last tsar a full burial with honors, and he was horrible too.

12. Hannibal

Thats the point though - Richard III absolutely was not a horrible monarch!

13. holyheadjch

Now Henry VIII - that guy was a total Atropa belladonna

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If he was alive today he'd be on Jeremy Kyle.

So long as he wasn't actually the King, of course. The royal family don't tend to appear on it as far as I know. Although one or two of them would be prime candidates.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  15. Blade96

well the story of the tower princes doesnt help me believe he was anything good.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It was a different time. As we ultimately don't know what happened to the princes it's hard to make any judgement anyway, it's entirely conceivable that they died of natural causes while incarcerated. However, even if he did have them killed, all that does is make him the same as every other medieval monarch.
    It now seems pretty likely that Richard WAS the rightful heir to the throne, so the princes represented a risk to him.

17. Hannibal

That - if true - makes him a bad person, not a bad king

He was typical of his time; English history is repleat with murder, deceit and gore....look at Mary Tudor for an intersection of both bad person AND bad monarch

18. Blade96

True. Happens though when we apply our 21 century thinking to 15th century people :p Different period altogether.

and yes, it hasnt been proven in anyway he was responsible for their deaths.

I thought it was cool though that one of our people (canadian) was shown to be a direct descendant of his sister and his dna was used to identify the monarch.

19. holyheadjch

Innocent until proven guilty?

20. Blade96

I never said he killed them (unproven) just that he had them in the tower.

you're right sifu....By our standards...well we dont believe in throwing our nephews and nieces in towers anymore. at least i hope not :p

But - different time like you said...and we're looking at it from 21 century points of view.