When students look but do not "see"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Now't wrong with Rockapes (lol)

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi guys
    I do not have any problems teaching techniques!! Because I do not teach techniques as such. I try to teach PRINCIPLES. I.E. First principle of aikido DO NOT GET HIT. Second principle of aikido REMEMBER THE FIRST PRINCIPLE. Then on to aikido philosophy NEVER STRIKE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. Unless it means denying the first principle!!!!
    Seirously I tend to teach the aikidoka to first evade the attack align the body. Then attack a kuzushi (this stops them forcing a technique which results in injury). Major principle NEVER ATTEMPT TO THROW SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY UNBALANCED FIRST(another common cause of injury). I constantly emphasise that the principles are the most important element in any technique and "getting" the technique is no where near as important than understanding the principles behind that technique.In a nutshell emphasise the principle behind the technique rather than long drawn out explanations.
    Koyo
    Edit take warning from the mortitian who was preparing the body of the man who invented the hokey kokey.Instead of just placing the body in the coffin.. HE PUT THE LEFT LEG IN etc etc.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006