Whats Your Favorite Submisson?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Acekicken, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Mine is the Cross Armlock
    I have gotin this technique many times
    From Many different positions(includeing ahead stand)

____________________________________--------------
    I have also used Chokes & Leg Locks
    But when i get Juji gatame im like a kid in a candy store:D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - one of my faves too. I like to work a few subs from a lot of positions rather than the other way around.

My fave armbar at the moment is against the far arm from cross-body position. Scoop under the elbow, pop up to knee mount, spin around the head to the far side juji :D

Fave choke? Triangle from just about any position.

Fave leglock? Rolling kneebar from standing over hook.

3. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Well I'm fairly new to grapplng so my I'm really only at the stage of positional control at the moment (fave position is the side top :D ).

But when I do practise submissions my total fave is the Eric Paulson leg lock from the side mount, where you pull their leg and head toward each other down the side of the body, nice :D

4. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Please note though, that only works on me and my students at the moment, cause we're muppets and don't see it comming. Given time though we should get better :)

5. stump

stump Supersub

<<<But when I do practise submissions my total fave is the Eric Paulson leg lock from the side mount, where you pull their leg and head toward each other down the side of the body, nice >>>

I like that one too, it ****es people off when they get caught by it :) ...patience and timing can make this one a really practical option.

My favourite submission is some form of choke, works kinda like a triangle as a reversal from a scarf hold...probably wouldn't work on more experienced grapplers though. Push the head up then hook with the leg around the neck, lock it with your other leg and hey presto.....one tapping opponent :) (hopefully!)

I definitely agree with what you say yoda about working a submission from various positions......a better strategy than trying to lean loads of different submissions from all over...especially in the earlier days

6. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

So are you caught in the scarf or have you got the oppenent in the scarf? I'm a little lost on that one, sozz :eek:

7. stump

stump Supersub

sorry, wasn't explained very well ...

You're caught in the scarf hold....you start by pushing your opponents head up...then hook his head with your near leg...(if he's on your right side it will be with your right leg) and pull him to the ground. Hook your right leg with your left for security and you have a choke or a facebar...then squeeze!!!!

Hope that makes things clearer

8. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Ah yeah I got ya know, takes quite a bit of flexibilty :D I've seen a few people do it, but never tried it myself. Any time I bring my legs up where Dave can bend them he does horrible things to them.

I just stick to bleeding on him now, but sadly even that doesn't seem to stop him :(

ho ho ho

9. stump

stump Supersub

make some passing comments about your "good ol' hard drug injecting days" while you're busy bleeding on him and watch him move :)

10. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Well I tried wearing tight lycra gear, but that doesn't seem to put him off.

Now I'm gonna paint myself green and dribble horrible liquid out my nose, that may hold him off for a bit, may'be? :D

11. stump

stump Supersub

Sorry that was a bit much....

YOu're right it does take a bit of flexibility but it helps if you get your torso away from his, then hike up as if you were trying to go into the "upside down bicycle position". If you get the angles right it doesn't take that much flexibility really.
    Also your legs are coming up behind the opponent, do it quickly and it shouldn't pose much of a problem being countered

12. stump

stump Supersub

THe that was a bit much was referring to my comment, not yours.... your idea sounds totally logical :)

by the way I'm not very experienced at this whole grappling game so if Dave tells you otherwise on these techniques ....I know who I'd listen to :)

13. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Yeah, the golden rule, escape make space. Trap and pin, keep 'em in, tight that is :D

I like the idea, though I wont try it on Dave, I'll try it on someone who wont hurt me to much if I mess it up :D

14. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

I'm new to it too and learning the hard way :D

It's good to hear what other people try to do and what they do, be it right or wrong. You never know even if they were experience and never seen or thought of a technique, you may just catch them with it, so carry on :D

Not that I was saying your technique was bad, if it works it works, then when people suss it, you move onto the next one :D

15. stump

stump Supersub

Hey, practise makes perfect. Its not one to try every time you roll, but it can be a useful little nugget now and then!!!

On the other one, (leglock from side mount) wait till just before they try to bridge and pounce then, best time to try and catch them with it!

16. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

"But when I do practise submissions my total fave is the Eric Paulson leg lock from the side mount, where you pull their leg and head toward each other down the side of the body, nice"-SpongeBob

SPongeBob: That sounds like a wrestler's cradle. I've used it in many matches but I don't see how it could submit anyone. As I've experienced it I can say it has never caused pain. My grappling is limited to American wrestling(submission is illegal) so maybe I'm missing the obvious, or it could be another move you're talking about.

17. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

There is a link to a video on the net of Eric Paulson demonstrating the submission.

It certinanly does hurt.

If your in cross body, on your oppenants left side, with the inside blade of your right hand, catch the inside of their ankle. with your left encircle their head. Then simply pull the two together. Puts stress on the knee, neck and lower back.

Though it does work unless the weight is off the leg your trying to catch.

Cheers

18. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Now I know what your talkin about. In wrestling we do the same thing but instead of going around the ankle we go around the knee. Then we pull the head and knee together, lock our hands, and try to pin him.
    Thanks.

19. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

My favourites are a neck crank ( that I don't do too often because its too dangerous ) and a side strangle.

The neck crank is from thier guard (they have legs around you). Somehow get your elbows into thier armpits and your hands behind thier head then pull thier head towards thier crotch. Hurts alot apparantly. But as I said it's just too dangerous to do to my training partners all the time.

Anyone else use the power slam? You are either mounted or in thier guard and they grab hold tight to your arms and try to keep you close. Grab hold of them - gi or arms - and then sit up then slam them into the ground - knock the wind out of them and if you can get something into thier stomach as you go down they can't breathe - go for a shoulder or elbow.

By my definition of side stragnle i mean having your right shoulder under thier right armpit, thier arm having been pushed up and your head behind his shoulder. Your right forearm - the blade - against the side of his neck and the other hand gripping it and squeezing. I am able to get this on from the mount as long as I can get my head under his arm and get a bit of leverage under his head.
    Also if my stragnling forearm slips past his neck and loops his head I can do a nasty neck crank where the gripping hand pushes the other hand and head to the other side - again a dangerous move needing control and release of pressure as soon as they tap.

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ah yes - "The Can Opener" - a nasty move but fortunately very easy to counter - If you're quick enough.

The slam works well as a closed guard release. Also good for escaping the triangle.

Your side strangle is what Judoka call "Kata Gatame" or shoulder hold.