What's your base style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Boxing is an excellent base style, if not one of the best styles to fall back on if you ask me.

2. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

My Base is combatsombo not to be mistaken for sambo one allows strikes and chokes and is more brutal and that is combatsombo

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't really consider myself a "MMAer", but I started as a sort of streetfighter trained by my brother... and those skills served me well as a kid getting into a bit of trouble and in the Army. We did striking and groundwork and mainly learned by fighting in the backyard.

In college I wanted a "formal" martial arts education and joined a TKD school and began focusing on "Olympic Style" TKD... I liked the fitness and kicks and strikes and did "okay" in WTF tournaments. One instructor (whom I am still with today) began getting into Combat Hapkido... mainly the joint locks and such and began incorporating that into class.

I left to take a job in Korea and studied Hapkido and Taekwondo and liked them both... from a striking and self defense point. By the time I had returned, "UFC" and grappling was the hot topic and my instructor was incorporating ground grappling/stick and knife fighting and other neat stuff into class. I joined and realized how essential these other skills were.

Now I still study TKD and Hapkido but we work ground grappling classes, weapons classes, and so on. We attend seminars and use video resources. I still consider Hapkido my base style (my first black belt) as well as TKD (from the many years in it) but see the need to expand outside of some textbook writer's views of what "Taekwondo" should be.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol cool, you studied TKD in Korea? Excellent :D

It's really good to see that you realised how essential a knowledge of grappling or ground fighting is.

I think it's a common misconception that someone who studies a grappling art has intent to fight on the ground. Someone i know at work ignorantly believes simply because i enjoy grappling, that if i were in a fight i'd take it to the floor.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes, I spent 4 years studying Hapkido and TKD in Korea and had lots of fun.

Part of the worry about groundfighting for me is that most kids do some of it naturally (look at the tackles and stuff in school fights) but now with the advent of accessible MMA schools, people can get good, quick, and cheap training (as many MMAer say, a person can be reasonably adept in 6 months). These people are on the streets and potential adversaries, without having spent years in a TMA school with the "respect, avoidance, deference" factors (for good or ill) being drilled in.

Being a good striker and running into a person who trained 6 months in MMA and getting taken to the ground would not be a good thing. I think you have to be ready on all angles. But I think that a good open-minded TMA school, that allows cross-training and experimentation and realistic training, can fill the role of a good base style.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's one of those things really isn't it; which you'd rather know and not need, than to need and not know.

7. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Sounds like fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
  8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Muay Thai under Keith Granger. i think it is the best MA to have as your base as it is one of the best striking arts in the world and also, when you develop a grappling art such as BJJ, you know exactly what you need to defend against

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm jealous of anyone who has the pleasure of learning Muay Thai :( thats the ultimate :D Muay Thai deserves respect lol.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

it took me ages and ages to find my muay thai club and when i did i found out i have one of the best intructors in britain :) try looking for specific MMA centres as there is one near me which teaches MT, but its also a great place to meet contacts

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Pfft, show off :p heheh im unlucky enough to live in a town full of tkd and karate... which is fine if you want to do tkd or karate, but not if you wish to do muay thai! lol :D

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

so they are no good then? all i know was that somersets in the south west, and they were the clubs i cud find in the south west. i thought stoke was rubish for MA until i found muay thai, BJJ, and an MMA gym under my nose. life is good

14. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

arnis ydaga, taekwondo, boxing, muay thai, yaw-yan and buno (filipino grappling). when i get in trouble i usually fall back on yaw-yan. but if i hav my "balisong" (its like a short knife) with me, i go ydaga all the way and stab those mofos till they die. lol. =P

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

you sound friendly... lol :)

16. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

I began with Hapkido. then boxed for about 1-1/2yr. then added Muay Thai for a couple years (had to drive 2hrs ea. way). Then added shootfighting/jkd/bjj. Loved competitions. did some small bjj tourneys and fought in a couple hook-n-shoots (lost both, lol, but loved it none the less). Just getting started back next week after a few year layoff for personal reasons.

17. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

James, which is your "default" style?

18. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

hehe, that was the main question wasn't it. I usually default back to my shootfighting.

19. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I feel you

Given the choice of starting a striking or grappling art, knowing what you know now, at that age would you have taken Judo or something else?

I've asked myself this and I think Judo is one of the best foundations to start MA. It makes it so that getting into a striking art you aren't afraid to get in close because you have a good grip on balance and takedowns. I think that confidence is invaluable because too often I see people starting a striking art too scared to move into their opponent even in light sparring.

I'm interested in what you think being that we both started as young judokas.

20. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Hybrid Martial Arts

As a Child My Dad Tought My Brother & I Karate
    Basics. No Katas Kicks & Strikes Push ups Stretches

As a Kid I did BackYard Wrestling all The Time.
    In 94 I stated to Learn about Shoot Wrestling But Nothing Serious.

In 97 I strated Practising Modern Arnis Ju Jitsu (Hartman/Presas)
    In 2000 JKD/Kali & Sombo (Macaluso & Ritchie)

I started Competeing for The USJJF in 2000 & Grappling J.G.C. in 2001.

In 2002 I fought My 1st MMA Fight Against a BJJ Fighter From The Tai Kai Team (Andrew Corringa)
    I Beat him With a Leg Submisson In The 1st Round.

In 2002 I strated Crosstraining In Wrestling (Freestyel & Submisson) With JDenz
    Who is a Good Coach I have also Practise Judo,Bondo,Boxing & Thai Boxing.

I fought 2 More NHB Fights This Year 1st In Jan. Against Wrestler & now Former EFC LightWeight CHampion Joevanden Eyden I beat him in the 2nd Round By Submission do to Strikes While I was In a Double Leg Ride or Rear Mount. EFC 6

I Fought American ShootFighter & Silverback LightWeight Vale Tudo Champion
    Wade Choate In March & I Tapped Him out With a Reverse Armbar in the
    1st Round. EFC 7

I feel Crosstraining In Martial Arts is The Key To
    Survival Whehter it's In a Ring or on The Streets.

I have Been Fortune Enough To Have Met & Trained With Many
    Good Martial Artist.

I Prestntly Hold 2 Black Belts & Have won Many Awards
    A List.

EFC LightWeight Championship (MMA/NHB -04)
    2x USJJF National Ju Jitsu Champion(01 - 03)
    5x USJJF/NYJJI New York Champion 2 State 3 Open(01 -02)
    2001 JJIF North American Ju Jitsu Champion
    2001 J.G.C. Grappling Champion
    2002 Bronze Metal USJJF Nationals
    2003 Silver Metal JJIF North American Opean Cup
    2003 4th Place Bronze Metal J.G.C.
    2001 Best Technique Award USJJF Nationals
    My MMA Record is ( 3 -0 )
    My Ju Jitsu Record is (19 - 4)
    My Grappling Record is( 6 - 2)

I have to have Surgery on My Leg in a Couple of Weeks
    I will see Were this Leaves Me. I hope to Return to Martial Arts
    ASAP There is still So Much out There To Learn But for now I will Relax