What's wrong with High Kicks?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pgm316, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Not asking you to give away family secrets or anything, but is there anything the striking systems have that worries you?

Obviously you've trained in Kung Fu, but what about Thai Fighters, Boxers or Karateka. Any worries there?

2. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Give away family secrets? Heh, I wish they would give some to me, I am just a student like everyone else. No, I can't say I worry about any of those styles. The only thing that would worry me is across is someone who is a cross trainer. Someone who trains in both styles. And in truth, that only worries me because I am low on the totem pole of belts. But even still, the Gracies are training with boxing and Tai Boxing. It makes you a more well rounded fighter. In truth, I like Tai Boxing the best in all the stand up arts. If there was a place to ge around here I would go. But, and you will come across this often amoungst us BJJ guys, not to much worries us I think. We BJJ guys have a lot of faith in our art. Many people see that as arogance. That's why we always get a bad rap!

3. Andy Murray

Well we're drifting away from High Kicks here, but you've certainly offered us a good initial insight into BJJ.

I for one would like to know more, so feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forum.

If you get a chance, check out the magazine sections and look at contributing to the photo gallery (there's a picture of one of the Gracies in there with Yoda and the boys), and the articles section.

4. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Well, to jump back onto the subject for at least a moment, that is why I wouldn't use a highkick. To me, as a BJJ guy, it offers little other then a warning and a means to keep some distance until I feel like clinching.
    And thank you for your kindness, you are very cordial and I appreciate that very much. I will defiantly be around these forums. You should PM kickchick to come and speak on this. She has studied TKD and will most likely (knowing her) have an insightful view on such things.

5. Jazman

Jazman New Member

"I will defiantly be around these forums"

Defiantly eh?

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<How would you TKD guys deal with the JJ guy shooting in on you, cos if you kick, you've seperated your legs making the takedown easier, and given the guy more options?>

*Yawn* i hav desrcibed it lot many times in this forum...c`mon don't we hav better to discuss than grapplers vs TKDist ;)
    well i'll start some better looking threads :D
    -TkdWarrior-

7. Andy Murray

Err
    Sorry TkdWarrior, I know this forum like the back of my mouse. But I've never seen your comments on TKDist vs grapplers.

Here we have a discussion with a new member and new idea's so no let it ride.

This thread's about High kicks, not one thing vs another!

You want better threads?

Then make them!

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yea i m in the process of thinking a new topic...
    but i m sure that i hav posted lots about striking/kicking(especially from my point of view) against grapplers...
    actually i m tired of strikers/grapplers things almost every corner of the world.
    i'll see if i can find my post or thread.

-TkdWarrior-

9. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

I personally think that high kicks have thier place.

I have witnessed a fellow tkd practitioner use them effectively against 2 assailants. Niether of the assailents had any M.A. experiance. They weren't even powerfull kicks(both of them crescent).

I have also seen the effects of a solid front kick to the chin(not pretty).

I have not personally used a high kick in a confrontation(except sparring). That is mostly because my intent is to subdue without serious injury. Plus it is an extremely high risk move.

As far as some of the comments about TKD being all kicks, it just isn't true. Some organizations and schools emphisize kicks more than punches, locks, and throws. But a good school will provide a well rounded curriculum.

In my view this whole stricker versus grappler debate is only relevent concerning NHB type competitions. In real life, if you are attacked it will most likely be by someone with no or very lttle M.A. experiance. Because most of the persons who study martial arts for any length of time are not the type of people that go out and start fights.

That being said I believe very strongly in being diverse in your studies. The more you know the better prepared you will be.

Robert

10. Cain

Cain New Member

It summarises just about everything I wanted to point out

BTW, Heelhook, you mentioned takedowns for high kicks, if I am rite, well, have you heard of cambering of kicks? One of their main functions is to prevent it from a takedown, however it is more difficult to take down a linear kick or an axe kick if thrown good enuff

Cheers,

|Cain|

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The other function of a good chamber being, of course, to massively increase the speed and power of the kick.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Do you really think chambering a kick to the head will make all that much difference, I don't really understand exactly what the other useless kick is supposed to be like?

And TKD, it hasn't turned into a TKD vs Grappler debate. Its not style vs style. A grappler can throw a high kick and a TKD person go for the take down. its just technique vs technique ;)

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yep, chambering a kick to the head does make a difference, the kick is faster, harder to see, block or counter against, and more powerful. I'd probably have to actually show you to explain, because offhand I can't think of a way to describe it at the moment.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I thought chambering just meant bringing the knee up first? Which I thought people do anyway?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  15. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Im sorry, but I am unsure what chambering a kick exactly means.

16. Andy Murray

Chambering is say when you throw a roundhouse kick, and you pick up the leg, keeping the knee bent and the foot tucked up before you fire the kick. From your perspective, probably making it easier to close a kicker down, not harder.

Can't think of all that many practical kicks which don't chamber to some degree or another.

17. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

To me, it seems like it would be easier for the take down again. That seems something more ment for...I dunno...a tourni or something of that ilk.

18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I agree with Robert on this one.... (and I thank both Mr. Heel Hook and Andy for the "heads up" on this thread) .... how I love high kicks!!!

Chambering does involve raising the knee straight up with the shin parallel to the floor. The higher you kick.... the higher you should chamber your kicking leg. This allows all the large muscles of the upper leg to thrust behind the foot. If the kick were to come straight from the floor to the target, it would not be as powerful and it would be easy for the opponent to block or jam. Also if you drop the knee while recoiling it must first be raised again in order to deliver a second or third technique, resulting in a slower kick. So by re-chambering the leg to this high position, it makes it easier to execute subsequent powerful kicks without returning the foot to the floor. Also from this high chamber it is possible to kick to any target, which is more dificult to do when the knee is chambered low. Since your kick can be delivered either high or low, your opponent hasn't a clue where you will strike next.
    You must remember that there are two kinds of attacks ... linear and circular. Traditional TKD (like I study) instructs to re-chamber kicks as a way to add additional power to your kicks and punches in the case of linear attacks. But in circular attacks we usually do not re-chamber between kicks so that power and momentum are preserved... as with the high roundhouse coming from the back leg. So.... a time and place for every kick!

I personally would use a high kick in "certain" sd situations. As a woman , a man would most likely think that I would kick to the groin.... and I would after I land a devastating kick upside his head!

If you also think the high roundhouse kick can be caught and trapped note that the most common kick for an opponent to grab is a mid-level roundhouse kick.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We tend to chamber with every kick, makes it less obvious when a kick is coming, although that's partly a matter of opinion. With circular kicks we'll usually chamber the knee horizontally, since vertically chambering for them works against the intention of the kick.

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

With the shin parallel? Is that right, I can't imagine how thats done without being a very telegraphed move.

My kicks will in general come straight from the ground, isn't the shortest distance the fastest? And kicking power is less of a concern to me than speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.