Whats the best way to gain speed in punches?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by White Belt TKD, Jun 7, 2006.

1. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

how on earth would anyone manage ot hurt or damage themselves. all boxers train this way.

2. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

I shadowbox with weights starting with heavy ones and working my way down the weights.

3. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Assuming you have technique and mechanics down first, I use resistance. I either put on wrist weights, or I trained against water.

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

rickson is god.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The only danger in shadow boxing I see with or without weights is over extending the arm. Other than that I don't see how any damage could be done.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Shadow boxing with weights can be extremely good, providing you always keep the weight level appropriate to your strength so that you do not distort your punching technique. The cautions of such training are:
    1. Watch your back if you are using heavy weights.
    2. Don't punch thin air after a weight workout as you are more likely to over-extend your elbow.

With regard to the knuckle formation you need to be careful. One of the most common injuries seen at weekends in casualty is a broken little finger knuckle from dodgy punching. In the majority of Okinawan descended/related styles (trying to think of some way of bracketing Okinawan/Korean and Japanese) the first two knuckles are used - whatever the hand rotation. This is sensible as these are the two strongest knuckles. In the 3 knuckle formation found more often in Chinese styles the impact should be delivered with the middle two knuckles.

JT