Whats next for Overeem?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I would imagine since Junior Dos Santos is coming off a loss as well and is/was a top contender than JDS would be smart.

But the way UFC has been choosing up their fights lately you really dont know what to expect. Heck a loss after his steroid scandal I wouldnt be surprised if he gets cut. Dana mad :(

But really , they can either give him another good fight and a chance to redeem himself (JDS) or they can throw a sheep in there for him to tear up and get a title shot.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

He's at least 2 fights off a title shot now. He won't get cut because he's a big draw and his last fight was pretty exciting.

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I really doubt he's two fights off.. Look at Chael Sonnen getting a title shot coming off 2 losses.

Look at GSP ducking the #1 contender in his class to fight Nick Diaz (not saying Diaz isnt great just UFC dosnt care at this moment).

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

JDS/Reem fight was supposed to happen if things went "to plan". Its a fight that will still be a big draw but just not as much money.

Zuffa just cut 16 fighters, including Fitch which is a suprise but a bit of a relief for them. He wasnt a big draw but title contender due to his combat style. .

The Reem may get cut if he loses to JDS though depending on how. (ie complete domination or KO)
    If he makes it an exciting fight but still loses (Fight of the night..) then they may keep him

5. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Overeem is going to fight JDS at UFC 160... we hope he remembers to keep his hands up this time.

GSP is the only star to have given the UFC 500.000 PVP subscribers or more for the last 10 fights. So, UFC gives him more leeway.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

contenders.Overeem vs JDS seems like a very good idea. both coming off losses, both wanting a run at the title, both legitimate good fighters.

The other option would be Bigfoot vs JDS, giving Bigfoot a run at the title AND a rematch with Cain.

Other than that, there aren't too many awesome heavyweights fighting just now.

7. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

UFC 160 has both Cain Vs Bigfoot and JDS vs Overeem.

8. Ben Gash CLF

It's a bit strong to describe Hendricks as the number 1 contender. Besides a KO against an injured Fitch and a split decision against Koscheck, who exactly has he beaten? If he beats Condit then maybe. Diaz is a much bigger fish, a match people want to see and a more interesting stylistic matchup. Hardly ducking

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, he did knock out Kampmann, but I'd like to see him face off against either Fitch or Diaz first.

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

What happens if

UFC 160: Bigfoot beats Cain and Overeem beats JDS... rematch?

UFC 158: GPS beats Diaz and Condit beats Hendriks... rematch? Or the Silva fight, as Silva seems to have agreed to go down to 170lbs.

11. Ben Gash CLF

I think a rematch is always going to be on the cards anyway. Overeem clearly didn't take the first fight seriously.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well you got Condit/Hendricks now due to creepy Rory "Ronald" McDonald off with neck and back issues. So that will be a good test for Hendricks.

As mentioned before in other threads, GSP and Diaz was supposed to happen anyway. Although Diaz lost to Condit it doesn't matter as that was supposed to be a #1 contenders match anyway and Condit lostit (see what I did there) so logically it makes for Diaz to be next up.

Cormier, Mir, Big Footy are circling around the title. Others not so much but I would like to see Nelson, Velasquez get there. Travis Browne I liked, tho just come off a loss and he's fighting Gabriel Gonzaga on the TUF: Finale so see what happens there.

What I really dont understand is Weidman vs Anderson Silva for the MW title, sorry I know everyone is going on about how amazing he is because he beat up Mark Munoz? So? ? (I may start a separate thread for this but the contract hasnt been signed yet - basically its unconfirmed)

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

SWEET! we got what we finally want Heavyweight wise.

MW wise my personal opinion was Diaz won Diaz/Condit fight. Even Diaz was upset at the decision. Hopefully he wont leave the GSP fight in the judges hands. I cant wait to see Hendricks straight drop Condit. Im sorry but Condit is not going to be able to stop the onslaught of strikes Hendricks is going to bring. HEavy handed contender.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Diaz was not anywhere NEAR winning that fight dude! You may dislike the way Condit won it but Diaz had no answer for him expect bitching after the fight

There is no case to be made for Diaz winning that fight at all

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Its been a while since I saw it, maybe I was biased for Diaz but when I saw it I remember being upset at the decision.

Wasnt it a split?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Unanimous for Condit - the criticism levelled was that he didn't stand and trade with Diaz...although as that mainly came from Diaz it isn't worth much

Diaz was outclassed, out thought and ultimately out fought and his ego couldn't handle it so he let his mouth take over (again)

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yeah thats just his nature, he is always going on like that.

But you have to admit, tapping out Gomi back in Pride was epic. I think its BS that they No Contested the fight because he failed for marijuana on the drug test afterwards. Sure if it was steroids take the fight, but man, if anything that drug is going to hurt you not give you an edge.

18. Chris_1987

Chris_1987 柔道

Anything that is banned that comes back in the test will rule it a NC. So I agree with the decision, plus it doesn't look very good professionally. I know he isnt trying to be a role model but hes in the public eye and he should set a better example. Plus, i've heard Dana is close to pulling him from the fight for not showing to a number of press appearances. Nick is a great fighter but needs to act more professionally