Whats MMA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Nov 17, 2014.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You mean you don't know the "arts" you are training in?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The thing is, I know I'm technically doing striking, wrestling and submission grappling but I have two problems with saying those are the styles I train and mma is simply the ruleset I'm training them for.

1. The amount of adaptation. Its fine saying its kickboxing or muay thai but, as someone who also trains K1 seperately, it is not K1. You have to make changes to account for mma and I think they're enough to seperate it. Succesful strikers in K1 and boxing can make the transition, but a lot more come from those roots and quickly learn they need to change.

Similiar thing with wrestling. The gym I train at is predominantly a cage wrestling gym and if you've ever wrestled normally and then wrestled against a cage...it is a whole other skill and experience. I would argue cage wrestling, if not mma as a whole, deserves a recognized difference of definition.

2. MMA has been around long enough people are training it from day one. I could take most of my training partners and they'd likely fail a grading for thai or kickboxing. In a similiar vein my coach is not a kickboxing or bjj coach who has started preparing guys for mma. He is an mma coach. That is his lineage. That's becoming normal too.

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Thank you, thats exactly what Im talking about. Again how on earth can anyone seriously believe that just because the UFC put forth a set of rules that some how by doing that a whole new martial arts concept was birthed to meet the needs of this new "sport". In a word HOG WASH". Its just this simple mixed martial arts systems have been around forever the only thing that changed in the twenty years Ive been pokeing around is the types of people intrested and of the televised full contact prize fights.
    Any good combat system worth its salt (blood) thats came around in the past twenty years or longer has included ground work and stand up work, just to name one Kajukenbo bam right there dudes. Just because the guys doing it were not tip top athletes, I know Kajukenbo blackbelts that smoke in fact, that and the fact the guys in the ring are tougher than the average bear and thats all the difference boils down to.
    Stop and think about one more time, the ufc did not spur qualified men to create this new beast named mixed martial arts, rather because of the rules or because of the nature of combat. Qualified men were mixing martial arts since the days of the Roman empire. The arts made by UFC veterans are not the only viable MMA's nor have they ever been nor will they ever be the only correct MMA's dude you cannot hijack a generic term and make it your own, no matter how smelly your gym socks are or your silver star mma shirt is or how many imes youve been hit hard enough to see stars or how many sugar skull tats youhave.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I know perfectly well what art I am training in. I am interested in what art you would say I'm training in. The footwork, guard and tactics are not the same as boxing, muay thai, or wrestling. Ground and pound techniques are neither boxing, wrestling, or BJJ. Where do the cage takedowns come from? Which art teaches you to walk towards the centre of the ring when you are hitting a high-crotch takedown so your opponent can't sneakily grab the cage?

5. bodyshot

Your not gonna win me over, not in a hundred years not in a million. Again here is my point, competing in the UFC and its rules did not create a new mind set or art, listen to me clearly, it did not "create" a "new" mind set/awareness of what is effective in a no holds barred fight.
    I will not disagree that the foot work may be different IDK ive never cut off an octogon but Id like a try lols, no one is saying that technique dosent need to adapt in order to suit the cage fighter. Im sorry Kave but theres no way that someone can take all the credit or honor for mixing effective systems from all the people who have trained hard for so long.
    Heres what needs to be said, why isnt it ok to name your system, perhaps after the champion who created it so that his legacy can be known down through what I hope to be many many years?

6. 47MartialMan

BOLD-fixed that for you

7. bodyshot

See the sad part is that these guys cant accept the fact there not doing something new. He talks about controlling the center of a ring like its new to the world of prize fighting.:Alien:.
    They really think there the only people in the world who have ever used a mixed system of basic martial arts to deal with serious violence, they think we were all pencil necks who didnt wrestle so how can we understand the clinch, come on man really.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. Kave

Kave Lunatic

That's fine. Please tell me what arts I'm training in? You do realise that aspects of MMA such as controlling distance on the ground differ dramatically from any of the arts which are theoretically components of MMA. As an example, in BJJ (either gi or no-gi) when you are under mount, the primary tactic is to make room between you and your opponent. In MMA, if you are underneath mount your primary tactic is firstly to cut off distance between you and your opponent so you can avoid the strikes raining down.

Sorry, I think you completely misread what I said, or you are responding to a post in a different thread? No one in this thread has claimed that MMA is the only hybridised martial art, or even the most effective one. All I have said is that the subtleties of fighting under the MMA ruleset justify it being included as an art in it's own right, and that MMA is not a generic term. Please find the earliest mention you can of Mixed Martial Arts, I am sure you will find the term is a relatively new creation. Just because you have learned a hybridised style that mixes different martial arts doesn't mean that there cannot be a new art called "mixed martial arts".

9. bodyshot

Ok I can follow that to some degree. So your saying that the term mma is applied to those arts/systems that have been born in response to the UFC and its conditions and rules is called MMA, ok ok ok, I see what your saying then. But do you at least give credit to the arts your based in and on??? come on here dude level with me.

10. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

So basically, this boils down to the difference between mixed martial arts (a generic term that might mean any hybridised system of two or more arts) and Mixed Martial Arts (a specific and evolving art born from the combative sport typified by the UFC)?

Out of interest I did a Google Ngram search for the term mixed martial arts to check bodyshot's assertion that mixed martial arts is a valid term for arts such as kajukenbo. I assumed that if it had been applied to other arts before the UFC etc... there would be references to the phrase in the literature separate from the cage-fighting competitive arenas and spread across preceding decades.

The results are interesting. Apart from Fairbairn's book on Commando fighting techniques in the 1940s, there was nothing until the mid-1990s. All references from 1995 onwards are to do with extreme/ufc/vale-tudo style competitions or combat.

It might just be that I am in Australia and separated by a common language. Mixed martial arts here means (and implies when used in marketing) that it is either derived from, for or associated with cage/ufc fighting style competitions. The terms that tend to be used here for any blended arts such as kajukenbo are eclectic or freestyle martial arts.

FWIW (with the current exchange rate, probably not very much).

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Over the years I have trained in Kung Fu, Wrestling, Aikido, Judo, BJJ, Submission Wrestling, and MMA. All of those arts have influenced me in some way, some significantly more than others (wrestling and MMA have been the biggest influences). My MMA coach is reasonably close to a pure MMA stylist, having done MMA for the last 15 years (although he has an eclectic background in a range of arts). I would say that my striking can't be called kickboxing or boxing, it's just generic MMA striking.

I don't deny that MMA striking has been adapted from a diverse range of arts like Muay Thai and Boxing, and that MMA grappling has been adapted from arts like BJJ, wrestling, judo, and catch. MMA owes a lot to a wide range of arts. All I'm saying is that MMA is not just a collection of techniques from a range of arts, the techniques have had to be changed for the MMA environment, the tactics have changed, so much has had to be adapted. When you are punching in MMA you aren't boxing (ask any boxer), it's completely different.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Nope the sad part is you seem to have a serious reading comprehension problem, no one on this thread has ever said they are the only ones to mix martial arts together, or that people in the past have not created hybrid styles, nor that you are a pencil neck, we said the term mixed martial arts is a new one and means refers specifically to people training in MMA at a gym that competes in MMA
    Why is that so hard for you to understand, or to put it another way YOU are training a hybrid karate style, a mix of different arts, your school is not an MMA school because none of you compete in MMA or train specifically for that venue, to advertise it as an MMA school is misleading

13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i poked my eye out whilst watching it

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Man on street know windmill, clinch, maybe hit with bottle

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

best martial art is called walking away,

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

MMA was coined by Gary Goodridge (I think) in an article in 1995-1996 and applied it and it stuck (well, we pushed for it to stick because "cage fighting" sounds ugly).

Does this mean that people were mixing martial arts previously? No. Don't be ridiculous. Does it mean that people were unaware of fighting on the ground? No. It may have popularised it, but technically did not create anything new. Is it more or less effective than other arts that claim something similar? No.

Now, MMA DOES apply to the modern sport/rule set because that's what the term was coined for. People have been doing MMA for a millennia under different names, and MMA just happens to be the name we use for it now. If you don't train for that rule set you do not train for MMA.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The style of Karate I do pre-dates the UFC and the term MMA, has been a "mixed" or hybrid style from the get-go (kyokushin, Thai and Judo in this case), trains in a holistic way and even has competitors that have done well in MMA (Shonie Carter, Peter Angerer spring to mind but there are probably others).
    I'd not call it MMA though.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And even where classes are divided by the facet of fighting they address (ground, striking, wrestling etc) they will tend to still be MMA specific in application.
    People still train specifics (boxing for example) but they train with the mindset of combining and adapting as they are doing it.
    For example Brendan Schaub is training with Tony Jeffries (a boxer).
    Jeffries isn't teaching Schaub wrestling or BJJ BUT I'm pretty sure the boxing sessions he does with Schaub will be tailored for MMA. He's not learning boxing, doing stuff that is boxing specific or doing things that will go against his goal of competing in MMA.
    In the old days (and maybe still now in some cases) people would go to a boxing trainer and then adapt that after the fact for MMA.

19. 47MartialMan

It poses a conundrum when viewed upon a literal sense. This is the same of the use Gung Fu (kung Fu) which has its own misnomer as well

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

no it really doesnt its pretty simple, unfortunatly people like to read into things more than is sometimes there