What's missing from my triangle choke?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by spirez, Dec 18, 2006.

1. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Right, i got one of my training partners in a triangle last week and almost got it locked on when he stood up and bent me over backwards, very nearly snapping my neck! I've had a pretty bad back/neck for the last week since.

Anyway, is there something i should have done to prevent him from being able to stand up? I had hold of his right arm, pulling it across his face/throat, my right leg reached over his neck and my left leg was closing the triangle, with the back of the knee wrapped around my right foot. I must have had it on pretty tight as his eyes were bloodshot afterwards but he didn't tap.

Is it a legal move in competition to do what he did? My head was almost touching my ribs, seemed quite dangerous!

Would this work against him being ale to stand up? I'm not usre i'd be quick enough to pull it off yet:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiRJywCCp8[/ame]

I would rather not leave training on a stretcher so any tips/videos to help me out would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Couple thoughts, and note this isn't my area of expertise:

1. I'm not sure you were controlling the arm in the correct fashion. I can't quite picture how you had him configured, but something doesn't sound right there.

2. Bloodshot eyes make it sound like you didn't have a correct choke in place. If anything it sounds like more of a wind choke than a blood choke.

3. If it isn't working, switch. That's the simplest answer. If you're getting stacked, something is wrong. And locking an incorrect choke in harder isn't going to help. Trust me, this is something that has happened to most of us at one time or another -- a slam or mangling because we wouldn't give up a failing technique.

- Matt

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You could try hooking a free hand under one of his legs as he tries to stand?
    And also turn more to the side perhaps?
    You should be more side on when you triangle anyway.
    And if he still stands up arm-bar the arm inside your triangle. :)

The guy in the link below is doing the "arm hooking leg" and "turning to the side" bits I mentioned above.

Triangle tips

Although your opponent standing up and/or getting slammed is always a danger with the triangle.

(edited due to MASSIVE picture!)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  4. RNC

RNC Valued Member

The guy in that video is not doing the triangle in the most effective manner. His body needs to be turned to his right in order to sink the choke in fully. The hip motion for the triangle is identical to that for the armbar from the guard. You can tap alot of people the way he showed it, but a big, powerful guy will stack you up and break the hold. If you rotate your upper body to the side, the choke will be more effective and you won't get "stacked". This is the most typical error in applying the triangle. The hold he had is great however for striking the person with punches or elbows. Also, if you do get stacked up, LET GO! You most likely aren't going to submit the person and you are on the verge of getting passed and losing position. Let go and recompose guard.

5. hux

hux ya, whatever.

yup. Turn his **** loose or hook his feet and sit his **** down :)

We try to get a LOT further over to the side when we lock in a triangle than that guy in the video. It makes defending it a lot harder.

On a related note - at the most recent ammy event here I saw a guy hang onto a triangle through 3 massive slams to eventually get a tapout victory. It was crazy, I bet he had a big ol' chiropractor bill. :) But he won, so...

6. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Cheers guys, i think it's the shifting of the upper body that i've been missing. Didn't get a chance to try it tonight unfortunately but i'll give it a go in my next class on Thursday.

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Try practicing transitioning from triangle to armbar and back again. If one is not working go for the other. It puts them on the defensive and you are bound to get one hold or the other sooner or later.

8. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

To avoid being stacked like you where you need to focus on keeping your body straight. He can't stack you and it makes the choke tighter. It's important that you plank out ASAP, because when you're slightly bent it's really hard to regain being straight.

9. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

A couple points worth mentioning here. First, what you describe your partner doing to you is just stacking you, and in fact it sounds like he's doing it correctly. Yes, this is entirely legal in competition, and yes it is very uncomfortable. If you stack your opponent properly, you're not trying to manuver around his legs so much as drive his pelvis or at least his own knee into his nose. The position is so uncomfortable the man on bottom will willingly give up the gaurd just to relive the pressure. This is worth noting, as lots of beginners get this wrong, thinking they are just trying to dart around the other man's legs somehow.

Second, regarding the triangle, it sounds to me like you need to get a better cut across your opponent's neck before locking in. This is done (as other's have said previously) by repositioning your body untill you're basicly looking in your opponent's ear. Your leg that goes across his body should actually go across his neck and nothing else, it shouldn't even touch his back. Every inch of your leg that lies across your opponent's back robs your triangle of strangling power and really puts you in a dangerous position. I would suggest just drilling the triangle set-up with your partner: Start with him in your circle, use your cutting leg to keep him in place while you push off his hips with your other leg to reposition yourself, then lock in. Work both sides alternating. Rember to LIFT YOUR HIPS AND SQUEEZE!!! or he's likely to pull his arm out before you can lock in the choke.

Lastly, it's intersting to note that the very situation you described gives you some of the best defenses against the triangle. First, if you're opponent has locked you into a sloppy triangle (one that didn't get a good cut and so is putting insuficient strangling power on you to make you tap) you stand a good chance of being able to grab him by his neck (or gi if he's wearing one) and stack him. Alternatively, while he's repositioning, before the choke is sunk in 100%, you can grab his hips (gi pants work really well here), look at the roof, and use your arms to push your opponent to the mat as your legs push you up to a standing position. You lift yourself right out of his would be choke and can go from there. Good luck and happy training man.

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

One thing no one has mentioned is that you don't have to grip the inside arm, you can grip behind your opponents head and pull it down, this makes it harder for him to posture up and stack you.

11. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Thanks for this reply! Haven't had chance to work it recently due to xmas and we've also been doing a fair bit of standup work such as takedowns and takedown defenses but as soon as i can i'll give this a try.