Whats better bagwork or drills?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Jul 1, 2021.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Eddie halls boxing training videos and Thor's two boxing matches prove you very wrong

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Eddie halls boxing training videos and Thor's two boxing matches prove you very wrong
    Yep because Thai boxers are well known for strength and power training....ohh wait my bad they condition with running do basic bodyweight exercises and spar

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Read what I posted just before you. I stated she should do a lot of different training, not specialize. Eddie Hall punched his training partner a few times in the torso when he had one of those strike guards on that trainers use with their fighter and he burst vessels in his torso and had him coughing up blood. Power is very important, don't act so haughty. I'm avoiding talking down on random disciplines and athletes here and so should you. One shouldn't be as cumbersome as Thor or Eddie -- Thor just seemed scared in the boxing matches he was in, I didn't get it at all. Let's see how he does if he sticks to the training -- if agility, footwok and technique were his prime focus for the next year and a half he would be a monster and that's a FACT. Ignorant! If Thor trained Muay Thai, developed his agility and balance, his footwork, his neck and jaw strength, toughened up his knuckles and shins, he would be an absolute killer. No doubt about it.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You mentioned Eddie hall by name how is that avoiding talking about specific athletes,

Halls been training boxing with coaches since 2010, had his first charity match in 2012 and still doesn't look that good, hitting hard on a training partner not hitting hard back is one thing, doing it in a fight another.
    And Thor has been training for close to two years with a pro coach full time working technique footwork etc and doesn't look deadly or dangerous or a monster.

So your own arguement doesn't stand up at all when actually applied to the real world

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Oli Thompson former british strongest Man also competes in MMA with a fairly good record but nothing special and certainly he isn't monstering the opponent's

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

I said avoid talking down athletes, not avoid mentioning them. Why do you believe Thor has been training boxing for two years, and Eddie Hall since 2010? He's been training strongman; doing a charity event doesn't mean you train in the discipline of boxing. Eddie Hall has speed despite limited training in boxing, and Thor is weird; it doesn't seem like he's even trying to develop speed it's so bad.
    Doesn't seem like strongmen getting into fight sports dedicate enough to speed training. Just getting their speed up with some strength and size loss would be perfect. A good idea poorly executed is bad no matter how good the idea is.
    Thor has no excuse. Eddie is clearly faster than him and it's because he's more willing to run around, roll around, hop around, et cetera.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I've not been following all of your threads, what is your experience in martial arts? What is your one-rep max for squats?

Don't worry, I promise that no-one was expecting one from you.

8. David Harrison

Why let reality get in the way of a nice theory?

Dead_pool and icefield like this.
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thor announced he had signed the boxing event back In May last year (I believe a training partner of his said he had already been doing some training prior to the deadlift record),

He then started full time boxing training straight away so just over a year not two of full time training my bad, Eddie has always done boxing pad work and bag work as part of his strongman S&C work.
    As for speed Thor is a former professional basketball ball player and one of the most explosive strongman of all time.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I too train under Sensei Yoo-Toob. A most venerable master.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Cherry picking tone crap.

That Eddie has been training pads for over a decade is news to me. I doubt you're right or he just messed around training pads here and there, going hard 1 week out of the year maybe. He's serious now of course. Thor's training videos are bit better now that I've looked through them, his matches were not great at all. His movements are not that good, he is too stiff. He should train peekaboo then to move like Ali. Needs to do the string drill more, set real low, or he won't be able to move around at all and will lose to Eddie Hall when he misses a straight and gets shovel hooked or upper cut. Eddie Hall training peekaboo would be terrifying and unstoppable.
    I don't suggest OP becomes stiff and immobile, my argument was that a very strong person that becomes agile would be terrifying to anyone. Athleticism, power, agility, reaction time and aggression will win most fights with rough and improvised technique and movements. Such things tend to build up one's toughness from the mental strength that's required and developed in training.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Eddie hall four years ago when still training for and competing in strongman

When he realised he was statically strong but conditioning wise and movement wise he was way worse than Thor he implemented more conditioning and movement and one of the guys he went to made had him boxing

A heavyweight other than Tyson (really a cruiserweight) doing peekaboo ... right

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

String drill string drill string drill all day every day. Duck duck duck duck duck. I wonder how many hours he put in those 4 or 10 years before the whole Thor vs Eddie boxing match deal made the end of last year. Shouldn't be too much honestly, but who knows. If it's 9 years, 600 hours? 40 minutes every third or fourth day? He's diligent now, less strongman training and moves better so should be pretty good this september.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The fight was announced may last year not at the end of it, signed probably months before that.

Hall had been retired for 3 years and was using boxing as part of his weight loss health kick.

As an aside there is no way anyone in their first or second full contact fight is going to move well or use peekaboo no matter what drills they do .... Anyone who has been around pro fighters knows what they look like the first time in a real full contact fight and it's not pretty and they don't move well.

Since this is the only fight they will ever really have there's no point drilling something that takes hours of ring and fight time to actually make work

hewho likes this.
  15. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Diagen, I do not know what the OP's motivation for trainig is, but although I could be wrong, she may not necessarily want ot be a world-class fighter who could kill any guy with one punch.
    She was asking which type of the two classes would help her improve in the art better, so surely the answer isn't to do weightlifting? If she wanted to lift, she would. Maybe she does.
    Although having a certain level of strenght sure is good, it may be also trained during the classes or in her free time. The fact that she's a woman doesn't mean she needs to put on a mountain of muscle. In a physical self-defence confrontation the skill and technique and her being used to getting his will certainly be an advantage, too.
    According to your own logic, there would hardly be a woman who can defeat a well-trained men in physical strenght. Well, he doesn't even need to be well trained. It is enough if he's much taller and bigger and chances of successfully defending go down the hill. In such a case, one had better learned how to run fast. You can surely improve your chances by getting stronger or by learning technique. Or a compromise of both. Telling someone who wants to get better at martial arts to do weigh lifting is just an advise not asked for.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. David Harrison

If it were advice given by someone who had done either, then it might be worth something.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Weight lifting was not really my suggestion, it was that she focus on her fitness overall to be successful in a fight. This included the development of motor skills through agility training. Me and another poster are off-track in regards to my original suggestion.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sensei Yoo-tube is displeased with your attitude towards fellow martial artists. He says you have to watch someone on Youtube do 20 press-ups as punishment.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Well I suppose fitness and agility in general, explosive strenght etc. are skills that will definitely be developed in classes - for example bagwork, so I concluded the other necessity would be strenght training.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Would watching the video ten times of someone doing two push ups, be ok?