What would you consider "MMA basics"?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by callsignfuzzy, Apr 18, 2013.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

If you had to prepare someone for an MMA bout, from scratch, how would you do it? What attacks, defenses, transitions, movements, etc. would you teach them? What would they learn first?

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'd start with looking at the three types of fighting range- standup striking, the clinch and the ground.

It would go rapidly downhill from there with the fifty billion ideas I would suggest for each.

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

What sort of time between starting to train and stepping in the cage?

4. callsignfuzzy

Hm... in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have worded it like that. Um... when you think they're ready? Someone comes to you, purely hypothetically, and asks you to train them for the purpose of competing in an MMA bout in the nebulous, "sometime in the future"; they have no background in martial arts but are reasonably fit. So starting from scratch, what does Lesson 1 look like? Lesson 2? What should they be expected to know at the end of the month? These are just suggestions; if you need to rephrase/re-imagine this to better suit your thinking, please do so.

I've got an idea of what I would do, but I'd like to see if anyone has different/better ways of doing it. Wouldn't want to taint the question with my own input at this time, though.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'd send him to a professional trainer.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

*******! I was going to say that :yeleyes:

7. callsignfuzzy

Alright, forget the "train a guy" thing. My entire question was asked in the subject bar, and I had to fill space underneath it with something.

What would you consider "MMA basics"?

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"This a punch" could easily take up the first three lessons. Although I'd probably break it up with wrestling.

One lesson Kickboxing, one lesson Wrestling, one lesson Submission Wrestling. Rinse and repeat, no other way around it really.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if its an amateur bout grappling , and especially work on the cage should take precedence over everything else, especially here in the uk a lot of the cage are so small and the amateur gloves so big the clinch is oing to happen straight away and you hit the fence defore you even know it lol

of course basic boxing, thai etc should be worked as well but at that level clinch work, cage work and the ability to get someone down and hold them there seems to win most matches

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's almost always inverse to what their background is... lol. Strikers and stand up guys who have never been shot on and haven't had to try and stuff takedown attempts need to work that like mad. No drills to stuff takedowns results in takedowns no matter how good your stand up is.

11. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

movement basics.

footwork, breakfalls, getting up safely, moving around on the ground.

one of the hardest things to learn (and keep on doing) is staying mobile. better start early.

next is defensive movements: cover, sprawl, shrimp, bridge, escapes and the like.

12. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

i would start with basic boxing Jab cross hook upper for attacks, Covering and head movement for basic defense after a understanding of these is built move into more Muay Thai adding basic teeps, kicks, for offense. then parrying and catching for defense and more footwork drills after a understanding of these is built work in clinch striking like knees short elbows and clinch control and cap off defene with defending strikes and takedowns from the clinch

Grappling start with basic ground navigation like passing guard and going from half to side side to north south north south back to side side to mount and north south to mount then once a basic understanding is had go to basic subs armbars kimuras rear naked choke maybe americanas work these from all positions and angles then sub defense and finally on to takedowns and takedown defense

for clinch work do all the basic strikes from the clinch just like mentioned in striking above work defenses for those strikes then move on to clinch wrestling takedowns short trips and to defend takedowns from the clinch

then i would make them spar and spar and spar to put it all together and give coaching while letting them practice and use everything they have just learned over those lessons in that i mean showing good GNP basics and identifying techniques they use well
    thats jus a rough draft alot more goes into it but thats avery skeleton road map

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ideally its the basics of

1) Thai bowing / striking
    2) Wrestling / takedowns
    3) BJJ / grounded submissions and movement (standups, sweeps, and submissions)

Then Adding - MMA specific
    1) Wrestling vs striking, (how to use strikes to set up clinch/takedowns)
    2) Striking vs Wrestling (how to block level changes, and deny the clinch etc)
    3) Jits with hits (hits to set up passes etc, standing passes vs upkicks etc)

After the basics are practiced then add on comp specific rule based tactics and strategies.

14. B3astfrmthe3ast

Yeah Fusen thats a very basic and good way to put it

and to OP just make sure you watch your own tendencies as well as the opponents if there is any tape on your opponent. even though you or the person your training has never fought you will develop tendencies during training that can be picked up on and exploited during the fight

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its all about the fundamentals! :)

16. B3astfrmthe3ast

we can always count you Fusen