What went wrong? Question for the MMA crowd.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Before McDojos? There was such a time? Hahaha, No. People have bought "snake oil" since people could comunicate to eachother well enough to con 'em. WAY long ago I'd say there were MORE McDojos, since people NEEDED to know how to fight and there were NO regulations. Some people were peddling there product, same as now, same as ever.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

I disagree. Back in the day, since people needed to learn how to fight better more than they do now, the weak dojos would have been weeded out because of the students getting themselves smashed. That's my theory on it. McDojoization is in it's golden age today.

3. Nerevar

"Back in the day" your "teacher" would have told you to avoid fighting. And how would you check his credentials? Students getting there butts whooped? He would just tell them "you were not far enough in your training, go clean my house and make me dinner, and we'll continue your training when you have proven you will stop creating trouble." Shifting the blame on the student. Don't think that MAs come from a secret magic mistical land where everyone was a Ninja. Hahahahahahaha, too many movies.

4. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I disagree somewhat, because even back in those days, weapons were where it was at. Unarmed combat was something that rarely came about on the practical battlefield, even back then. So it wasn't so hard-tested as you seem to believe there. People didn't go to war in karate gi's with empty hands. They went in armor with sharp weapons. I can definitely see Maximicus' scenario happening quite frequently. Despite what some may say, I think martial arts meeting "western skepticism" was good for it on a lot of levels.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

* Seeing as this threads supposed to be a question to the MMA people, I've moved it there instead of general discussion.

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Alright. My thread now!

7. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

Thats not true, the okinawans have always trained with weights. I just think "traditional" systems use stances such as those for aesthetical reasons, making the art more of a performance art. Another reason for those strange stances could be rooted in the chinese old belief of chi.

Whatever it is, Id rather exercise my legs with squats and bagwork.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Squats = strength

IMO strength is one thing, agility and endurance is entirely something else ;)

|Cain|

9. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Imagine a picture of a Muay Thai fighter lifting his lead leg to counter another MT guys low kick.

Now freeze the frame as he has his leg raised for that split second.

What stance does the MT guy's stance resemble? Crane.

Also, talking about first picture there are two practical options I see. I'm not from a TKD background so can't say if these are as taught in this style/form.

1. As above - defence against a low kick to lead leg. Rear arm raised to deliver follow up downward strike. Lead arm covers body.

2. Pull down and knee strike. Lead arm pulls down opponents head as knee is raised. Rear arm ready to downward strike to back of head.

I think many valid points have been made on both sides. However, the point about TMA is that these were borne out of a need to survive in a lawless period where weapons were regularly carried. The movements in the forms are therefore quick and dirty fighting methods to finish a scrap as soon as possible. If it didn't work it would soon have died out.

I agree that many original applications are watered down or lost and a lot of TMA should get back to being dirty fighters. There is a good guy in UK - Ian Abernethy - who has taken many of the "pointless" or "ineffectual" moves in Karate kata and illustrated real,effective techniques that are very practical. Thats what all TMA should strive towards IMO.

BTW - I'm a Hung Gar man. The 2nd pic looks like Monkey style to me.

Paul

10. Nerevar

If any good reason, I'd guess people would get into "wierd" stances in a fight to confuse the opponent. What are Judo fighters used to? Judo stances. If you do something the other guy dosn't know you will have an advantage since he will have to "think" out his moves rather than use his "instinct". Back then styles were secret, noone had seen "Karate kid," so no one would have known what to do against a Crane stance. Imagine if someone went into a crane stance in a boxing match, the opponent would think WTF?

11. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

One has to wonder which MA's would be top of the heap if this rule was enforced for all UFC matches... hmmm;)

12. Trent Tiemeyer

Then we would have K1.

Or you could just look back pre-1993, before the UFC changed the face of the game.

13. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Actually I don't know much about anything apart from UFC, we don't get much exposure to it in OZ. So who are the do-wells in K1 in terms of MA's and styles? Are they still MMA's or do we have any TMA's?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you freeze any movement in time it will look pretty stupid. TKD forms are simply a way of rehearsing the techniques of the art in a set pattern. A kind of "stiff shadow boxing" if you like.

I don't do the "traditional thing" any more - and haven't for some time. Every so often though I "play" with stances, punches and kicks from my old days. You can get quite a good workout if you put your self into it.

For K1 try www.ko.sherdog.com

15. Andy Murray

Easy. :D

16. Trent Tiemeyer

Alright. We ever have a MAP meetup, I'll show everyone how to do a proper uppercut.;)

17. Andy Murray

Why limit yourself by one way ? :confused:

18. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Ken off Streetfighter used to do a brilliant one legged uppercut!!! It had flames and everything. He even jumped into the air. It was the best!!!

:)

19. Trent Tiemeyer

I actually limit myself to TWO ways.

Right and left handed.:D

20. Andy Murray

Ah, in that case, I'll be the one teaching you something should we meet. ;)