What weapon you prefer??

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by AE3erdion, Apr 17, 2013.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Mainly because I've trained with stick & dagger and have never trained with machete & dagger. Also I like the variety that having an impact weapon in one hand and a cutting weapon in the other hand gives. Bear in mind that I'm just talking about my favorite weapon set to train with. If we're talking post-apocalyptic wasteland scenario, then it would probably be something more like kris & handgun.

Also, while I really don't spend a lot of time worrying about self-defense scenarios (not saying no time, just not a lot) I could apply some stick & dagger stuff with, for example, umbrella and folding knife. I can't go carrying a machete around, at least not in Chicago :) .

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fair enough...as i said to Ap I thought we were taling about poop hitting twirly thing weapons...day to day is different

Well not much actually because I still would pick my Glock 22 and only the blade would change to a folder...possibly my Carson CRKT

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Not bad. At least their shield straps are correctly angled. However, you don't need to strap it to the arm. You can grip them together in one hand... works great.

The problem is that there are no sources on how to use a heater shield like those shown in the video. Their swordwork looks reasonable, but the shield is largely speculative, or is based on later works on say, the rotella.

Too bad, because I'd love to know how it was done.

Here's some speculative work by Hammaborg which I think is really well done and thought out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc"]Sword & Shield Fighting (Roland - Hammaborg) [fixed audio] - YouTube[/ame]

-Mark

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm less interested in "legally permissible" than in what I could live with for the rest of my life. Knee-capping someone with a rattan stick, I could just about imagine. Lopping off an arm is a slightly different matter.

Ah. In that case: Laser bear. Obviously. ;)

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Laser bears are the best!

In terms of what I actually carry, it's a Smith & Wesson H.R.T. folding knife. As I mentioned previously, the primary reason I carry it really is to open boxes at work. But if I did ever need to use it in a self-defense scenario, I like this particular knife because, besides being a good knife, in the closed position it's the perfect size and shape to use as a palm stick.

I have a Cold Steel folder which is actually a better knife in that it has a sharper, wider blade and is easier to open, but that wide blade makes it a lousy palm stick.

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

tactical pen?:D

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

FACT!

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

dao and choy yeung dao

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

10. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

[​IMG]

I would have photoshopped your face in there ap, but I'm at work. :(

11. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

Do you mean grip both straps in one hand? Have you learned a particular style of Sword and Shield? Thanks for the link for Hammaborg (what a great metal name)! Haven't watched it all yet but what I've seen has been informative.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

We all look forward to seeing that later!! :)

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

14. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

This question is like what do you most fork or spoon.?

If forced I would take my Springfield XDM 40 cal with integrated light and laser.

Why?

16 round capacity enough to put down enough fire quickly for fire and movement needs.
    combat effective from 0 to 100 yards
    still concealable although not as good as pocket pistol for concealability
    effective for night combat if needed.
    Still makes a hell of a bludgeon if it comes to that.
    Potent enough round for most predators and game animals
    Rounds relatively lightweight for ease of carry
    Effective signal for rescue purposes
    Flashlight useful for all night uses
    Angers gun control zealots

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That picture kicks so much backside that it then has to go into the parking lot simply to find more backside to kick.

EDIT: Huh. Turns out that "laser bear" is actually some big internet... what's the word... meme? Here I thought I was just randomly slapping two words together.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yes. I've only learned the basics of sword & heater shield. It's a speculative reconstruction using later sources (I.33, etc) for examples, so there are no claims to its accuracy. It works fine, but that doesn't mean that's the way it was done. To be honest, my two weapon fighting is absolutely pathetic. A buckler might as well be a dinner plate to me. I'd just make some nachos on that thing and call it good. And a cheese tray on the heater shield. ;)

-Mark

17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

World of Synnibarr: flying bears with laser beams for eyes. Old School kitsch.

-Mark

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

New to me too...until I googled it...and found it is a "proper" thing!

Usually I hate memes (is that what the young uns call them?)...but laser bears? They're awesome!

19. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I thought Stuart made it up, too.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I "arrived at it independently." ;)