What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Which is good for the small fish lol

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Resurgence felt like a movie that tried really, really hard to be an international hit by aiming for the Chinese market. The characters' relationships and arcs all felt like some dude in a board room saying "OK, but how do we make sure it plays well internationally?" Little details - the casting of Angelababy. The fact Liam Hemsworth's girlfriend decides to abandon a career as a fighter pilot to care for her ailing father, who's also the President of the US and a world hero that could probably take care of himself or get an aide. The way the directors made a big deal about a homosexual relationship taking place between two of the characters but then had those two characters show nothing but platonic affection to each other.

The whole thing dragged and dragged and dragged so that by the time
    the alien queen showed up
    I was just bored. The film needed to be streamlined and edited like whoa.

By contrast I also just watched the movie Drive and I gotta say, it was amazing. It was a movie based on a book, but through it all I didn't feel like it was based on a book. In fact, thinking about just the general plot, I think it would have felt like a really boring book - not much happens and when it does it's elevated by the director and his choice of shots. There's a normalization of violence, one that influences people, and we can see the cost that it takes from them.

Just an example, from early in the movie: the main character has to interrogate one of the bad guys in a strip club. I think in most action flicks, we'd have our protagonist walk in, see dancers dancing, there'd be music going down, and then he'd get into a shootout with the bad guy, strippers would run screaming etc.

In Drive he walks through the backstage, a woman in a bikini is texting, she tells him where her boss is without looking up. When he interrogates the man, the strippers are silent. One of them passes him a pen. They know what business they're in.

Drive felt entirely elevated by the directorial choices. Nothing in the plot could have sustained the movie without the emotional performances of Beth Mullen, Ryan Gosling, and others or the cinematic choices of staging and shooting.

Seriously loved the movie. Go watch it.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Have you read the book? Worth reading if you haven't. There's a few things that are made a little clearer in the book and it sheds a little more light on the character...whatever his name was...the main bloke! Fast read too if you don't enjoy it.

4. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Drive was awesome. Ryan Gosling's iconic scorpion jacket, hard to forget ;) Cult classic material for sure. If there had to be a movie similar to Grand Theft Auto, Drive would be it. Soundtrack was amazing too

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXuGOfqyZw"]Desire Under Your Spell - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

No kidding! I guess I should read it, I'm curious how much of the tone stays true to the movie's.

@Endolphins - yo, that soundtrack was AMAZING.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Funny, personally I found the film utterly forseeable and wasn't surprised at all in the end :eek:

At some point I will watch that movie again, but I wasn't impressed by it all the first time around.

7. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

That's the beauty of movies, you can watch the same one many times and always take something new or overlooked in many cases. Some films that come to mind that are like that:

- The Usual Suspects
    - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    - A Scanner Darkly
    - Scarface

So many more though :eek:

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That works with a lot of movies indeed.

When I first watched "Unbreakable" with Bruce Willis I thought it total rubbish.
    When I watched it later it still wasn't awesome, but good enough that I watched it three times by now :eek:
    It won't become my favorite movie though :D

9. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Wow, haven't heard that title in years! Now you've got me wanting to watch it again. I remembered I loved the whole idea and premise of the movie, even though it may not have been made ideally.

M Night Shamalan though, has made some pretty trippy movies over the years lol.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'll never get how the same person can make incredibly awesome movies on one hand and.... well, less awesome ;) movies on the other.
    Or how a movie can seem to be actually good and suddenly become meh.

11. Bozza Bostik

I really can't remember to be honest. But I think that they toned down Driver's (had to check IMDB for a name!) personality to appeal to the female audience...The ladies like Ryan Gosling after all.

I'm reluctant to give more details. And it could just be my take on the book and character.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"The Big Lebowski"

I have a rule that this movie must be watched every year. Because ... it's that sort of movie. And I'm a Dudist Priest, so, you know, it's just right to watch it every year, to remind myself that the Dude is still out there, abiding. :)

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Suicide Squad.

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The Siege of Jadotville

Well made, great cast, emotionally charged. Worth the first watch but not a second.

15. aikiMac

"Doctor Strange"
    Very good. I was worried that a movie that depends so much on special effects (you know, the spells) wouldn't be on par with all the other Marvel movies, but this one is. I personally like the movies with Captain America better, but this movie deserves the "Marvel" label. I approve. :D

I appreciated the little nod to "Civil War" that places this movie in the same "cinematic universe." In case you missed it, Dr. Strange is invited to do the spinal surgery on Rhodey, but he declines. :p

But question for those who watched it:
    When the villain whose name I can't spell stabs the Ancient One, did he also stab his henchman? That is, did his spear go through his henchman and then into the Ancient One? The editing is so quick and choppy that it's unclear to me. The henchman is there and then, cut to another camera, the henchman is not there. :confused:

16. aikiMac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbNS_GKhPw

Daughter sent me that. (She's an anime fan.) I thought, "Wow, that looks really good!" Then she says, "It's not a movie. It's a tv commercial for a school."

(blink) Wait, what? That's a tv commercial for a school?

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That comment actually made me watch the video.
    Looks good.

But all the time I keep thinkg: "There are commercials for schools?" :eek:

18. aikiMac

Dial M for Murder

Alfred Hitchcock was a genius. Dude has become my favorite director.

You've probably heard of the movie: Jealous husband hires someone to kill his wife in the perfect murder, with all of the details prearranged so that no one will ever be caught.

I'd seen bits and pieces of this movie but never the whole thing straight through, so I watched it last night. Brilliant. There is no sex, no nudity, no fighting, no CGI, and really no special effects at all unless you count the placement of lights, and the entire movie takes place in one apartment, yet it's captivating. I wasn't ever bored. The "magic" comes from how Hitchcock shot the movie -- where he placed the camera, where he placed lights to cast shadows, how he had the actors stand when the camera was on them, and their facial expressions.

Ex: When wife and lover are embracing as they hear husband approaching the door, the camera moves so that we see their shadows (silhouettes) on the door. Their shadows separate, as the lock of the door turns, and husband opens the door. Brilliant effect! :love:

The entire movie has little touches like that, the attention to small details that make it -- not boring. Plus, it stars the beautiful Grace Kelly. ;)

And my daughter likes that
    the wife wasn't so easy to kill, that she actually fought back and killed him instead! :D

19. Bozza Bostik

I can hear the sound of that "dude" Alfred Hitchcock spinning in his grave.

20. aikiMac

Why? I praised him for being fully awesome.