What to look for in a Sensei

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GrappleorWrestle, Oct 20, 2003.

1. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Well. I know this has probably been done so many times everyone is sick of it, but I would really like to know what you all look for in a Sensei, and what you believe makes a good Sensei. After I have had a sufficient number of serious replies I will compile it into a little article for everyone to read if they want. I really would appreciate all the help you guys could give me. Thanks in advance.

2. zun

zun New Member

1. The sensei's attainment in the skill. Is the Sensei good at what they preach?

2. The quality of teaching.

3. I've come across many instructors, and so far the best instructors have well-educated, modest students.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

If I want to learn a certain art I only learn from some one totally dedicated to that art not someone who has done this and that and blah blah blah. He should have a real incite on the style and actually practice the same kata that I practice, otherwise how will he tell me what to do?

My thoughts at least.

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

1. sincerity
    2. honesty
    3. martial skill
    4. teaching skill
    5. humility
    6. a never-ending urge to improve their own skills

5. Jim

Jim New Member

1. Skill
    2. Honesty
    3. Ability to teach

In that order

6. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Most of the above &
    A model of what (s)he expects from students

7. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

THANKS for the replies so far guys. I will wait for a few more before I start.

8. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

patients,
    ability to break complicated moves down to simple parts for instruction and also the ability to help the student get faster with out losing control.
    sets sensible targets for his/her class: one judo instructor i know teaches his class 6 or 7 moves in an hour and is then suprised when in the next lesson no one remebers the name of the technique and they keep getting the techniques mixed up.

the best instructor i've had the plesure to study under
    (fred pilgrim 6th dan BJA), asks you to show him a technique. you do it and if its ok then its ok he leaves you to practice if its not or he see's a way to improve it he works with you saying things like: 'now do it breaking balance to the front left' or ' now try it with a side ways step before you sweep'. just real simple pointers that never occured to you. in three months training at his club with his simplistic method i improved more than i had in the previous year or 18 months at my regular clubs. shame his dojo is so far away.

9. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

What to look for in a Sensei?
    1) ability(if you watch him and want to be able to do what he is doing and it looks good to you that is a good sign)
    2) ability to teach(doesn't matter how good he is at #1 if he can't show you how to do it)
    3) honesty ( Jim and Mike mentioned this one too. Very important, after all you trust this guy/gal with your well-being)

Of course there is a lot more to it than just three simple things, but I think if you can find someone who meets these you will be able to work with them.

10. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

Here's my .02 cents on the subject.

Most of the stuff above covers everything you want ina good teacher.

But what really matters is what the student wants from his/her training.

Not everyone wants to learn martial arts for self defense.Some ppl want to learn for health reasons like to get or stay in shape.Others want to learn so they can compete in tournaments and do demos and stuff.

So alot goes into deciding who you choose for a teacher.

If you're choosing for self defense? Then i say someone that can show you a technique.Then show you how to apply that technique,and then tell you why you would use said technique.

If you're learning for health? Then someone that knows about health of course would be the smart way to go.Just because someone teaches martial arts does'nt mean they know much about health.

If you're going to compete? Then you want a coach more than a teacher.You want someone that can bring out the best in you to compete.You want someone that has taken others and made champs out of them.

So it really depends on what you want from your training that helps to decide what makes a good teacher.

I know the question was what to look for in a sensei.But different ppl look for different things in choosing a sensei.

jeff:)

11. aikijudo

aikijudo Valued Member

I believe that an effective teacher must possess several traits. Please note the following:

Humility (humbleness) - Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido was quoted as saying that he did not want to be called "Sensai." His argument was that he was, and would always be a student. I feel the same way, and I believe that all of us, students and instructors alike should maintain this philosophy. It will keep us humble with our egos in check.

Empathy & Concern - A good teacher should project empathy and concern for their students. And while it is difficult to get to really know and understand each student's individual needs and goals, a good instructor will make every effort to try. I interview my students one-on-one to learn exactly what it is they want, and why. If I don’t know what their goals are, then it is going to be very difficult for me to help them achieve their goals. And likewise if I don’t know what their weaknesses and fears are, I won’t be able to help them adapt and overcome.

Diverse Knowledge - A competent instructor should possess and promote a diverse array of knowledge. The physical disciplines are merely one portion of a person's self-defense education. Philosophy and other mental disciplines, anatomy & physiology, weaponry and the law are just some of the many curricular components necessary to make an individual's education complete.

Communication – A successful instructor is one that can effectively communicate in many ways (different levels). People learn (communicate) in different ways and the instructor must possess the ability to adapt their communication skills to meet each students individual needs.

Responsibility – A responsible instructor will behave responsibly. This area is multi-faceted.

(1) Behavior - Instructors often become role models for the students, and if they don’t monitor their behavior (all behavior), some of the students may adopt negative behaviors or aggressive behaviors because of their status as a roll model.

(2) Ethics – Instructors often have the ability to influence a student’s morals and ethics. A responsible instructor will make note of this and try their best not to influence a person’s ethics; especially in a negative way.

(3) Discipline – Instructor’s may find themselves in a position where they have to discipline their students. However, they must do this in such a way as to help the student, not harm them. Self-esteem and confidence are crucial elements of human personalities and must be nurtured, not damaged due to irresponsible comments or perceived forms of verbal abuse.

(4) Competition – Instructors must realize that not all of their students will feel comfortable competing in tournaments or medium to full contact sparring in the dojo. They must not push or otherwise pressure the student to do something they don’t want to. There are other ways to combat-prove technique without forcing the student to spar.

Lineage - I also believe that it's important for an instructor to learn and know their lineage, and to pass on that lineage to their students. Also, a new perspective student should question the instructor's and the school's lineage.

_____
    I’m stopping here. I could probably write a book on this subject. Please accept my comments in the sincere gesture for which they are offered.

~Kyoskute~
    TMW/Aikijudo Jitsu Ryu

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003