What style?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe karate, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

My sensi moved then I moved (the whole school). There is no kenpo where I moved now. There are tons of kung fu and taekwondo schools here. There is another x tracy student at my school and when I told him I had this book his eyes lit up. He was taking wing chun as well. He was not happy with the wing chun.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

where are you now?

my school sells some technique videos/ dvds they are not expensive www.kempokarate.com

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

tn I have checked and talked with other maists and no kenpo here. I am thinking of picking up some of ed parkers and learning the system when I move back up north (this will be like 5 or so years don't want to switch my dojang not ez to find a good tkd dojang).

Looked at the website and Ic a tiger stance :( . I miss tiger sooo much. The wc over here does not touch tiger style enough :( . I may pick up a video from ya all if they are in dvd.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I study informally American Kenpo Bu-jutsu.

I say informally because I am only able to attend about once every two weeks. I hold no rank and do not test, I only train to gain knowledge...I'm not saying that no one else does but as much as they'd like me to train full time with them but I'm so busy in my last year of my education degree. That and I train primarilly in two other arts...take care of a family...etc...you guys get the idea.

The instructor has a 6th dan in Hapkido, so he tends to add grappling to it. All kicks are low kicks, groin and lower. Has rapid succesion of strikes aimed at vital areas and what not...sounds a lot like most of the Kenpo schools.

5. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

Kempo Karate, it is traditional Karate, also te-jitsu

6. Tigermoth

Tigermoth New Member

I am a purple belt in Parker Kenpo. My 5 year old is an orange belt. Sorry, had to brag. She's fixin to compete for the first time this month. Cross fingers.

7. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Hi Guy’s,

I have studied Shorinji Kempo since 1988. I am currently in the process of establishing a branch in Caboolture, near Brisbane, in Australia.

Shorinji Kempo has three main physical areas of study. These are Goho, Juho and Seiho. Goho are the hard style waza, while Juho are the soft and Seiho is a method of massage and manipulation using kyusho to help restore the body after hard training or injury. At first the Goho and Juho are taught separately, but the goal is to develop them into a seamless system of unity and as such all the techniques are designed to complement and work within each other. Further to the physical study we also study the philosophy of Doshin So, which is based on Kongo Zen Buddhism.

Some people believe that it is a requirement to be Buddhist to practice Shorinji Kempo, and that used to be true; however this is not the case now. Shorinji Kempo philosophy is not based around deities but rather the way we live our lives and treat others at this point in time and as such could be compatible with any religion.

8. mekosho

mekosho New Member

I am a student of kosho ryu kempo and an orange belt...kosho ryu, also known as "old pine tree" style dates back as early as the 1700 hundreds and is the roots of most modern kempo's today :)

9. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi
    i'm 1st deg american kenpo ,1stdeg kenpo fighting system.about a decade in kenpo ,before that mainly freestyle arts.
    i have 5 schools across south west uk and about 200 students.
    cheers
    matt