What should I expect in white collar MMA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

So I mentioned cross training at my krav class, with the intention that I would like to do some ring sport on the side of my self defence.

He said depends on your budget BJJ can be good but expensive. He then mentioned that the cheapest way is this white collar fights were they train you in 8 weeks from fresh and then go into a cage.

So I signed myself up for a fight in november. Does anyone know how hardcore the white collar training will be?

My current training is 2-3 days of krav with a fair bit of sparring. About 1.5-2hrs a session.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I haven't done a white collar MMA fight, but have trained people who have signed up for white collar boxing.

My understanding from what I'm told is that there is lots of conditioning and fight preparation, but not a lot of technique, which is where I came in.

I think that's fine as long as you know what you are signed up for.

You'll grow from the experience I'm sure.

axelb likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Generally, they don't match people very well, and lots of people try to get extra training in on the side, I've known a complete beginner get put in with an ex pro boxer and lose some teeth.

If you want to train BJJ, have a look around and see what the prices are, fighting mma for eight weeks of free training is a terrible idea.

axelb and Simon like this.
  4. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

If its conditioning my 6 months of krav by then would help I imagine?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Don't be so sure.

Training "for the streets" isn't the same as fighting in the ring.

Different sport, different mindset and different rules.

The thing that will strike you most is the sudden rush from the other guy and the overwhelming onslaught, especially if he is a ringer. That is to say someone who has been training for years and entered an amateur event.

That will be closely followed by a complete adrenaline dump and within 30 seconds you'll be gasping for your breath.

My first JKD Instructor said, "the best thing I can do for you is punch you in the face, or put you in the ring."

It's easy to assume what will happen, but when it's for real...

axelb likes this.
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Personally I'm very anti these white-collar whatever events. I don't think people with no experience and a few weeks training have any place in an environment where brain injury and death are possibilities.

I'm stating an extreme case, obviously, but it's not a trend I'm comfortable with.

Southpaw535, axelb, Dead_pool and 3 others like this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Would echo this. I mean, props for signing up but just be aware that shenanigans can happen. As said before, a lot of people get extra training on the side as well.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I personally dislike white collar MMA a lot more than WC boxing. Too much to learn and do. I'd say train at an MMA gym for a year or two then just compete like anyone else.

Also Krav Maga will do bugger all for you in a cage.

9. Dead_pool

Side point:

If you want cheap BJJ, (and some BJJ is quite cheap) take a judo class, they tend to be super cheap.

axelb likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Also bare in mind most shows make you sell a minimum number of tickets, and if you don't make it, then you have to pay up the difference..

Your free eight weeks could cost you a few hundred.

They're generally just a cash cow for gyms.

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

There is a lot more of them popping up around.
    High potential for missmatch,
    an intense introduction, if you're ok with that, I know some people prefer it that way.

Most places do a free first lesson, so it's always worth having a look at what's around in your price range and having a free trial.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

My primary thing is self defense, I do want to do a bit of combat sport on the side.

Thought that WC would be fun and its people on same level as me but wonder what id be up against.

13. Dead_pool

It depends on who's running it, the better ran ones, do a 12 week course, strictly match the fights, and have an adjusted ruleset.

Did you sign up at an MMA gym?

Why not take a class first?

14. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  15. Dead_pool

That's the same lot that matched an ex pro boxer up with a newbie, a few years back.

A quick Google search brings up this too:

Eastleigh white collar boxer suffered two strokes 19 days after bout | Daily Mail Online

Which I belive are the same company.
    (I'm Not 100% sure, but they've got the same name)

If you want sport, a much safer way is to just go and train somewhere for a year or two and then have a few matches.

Even with limited rules, an MMA match is still a full contact fight with small gloves on.

axelb likes this.
  16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Seen a few people need medical attention after them due to a combination of crappy (and sometimes just corrupt) matchmaking and horrifying officiating. Just as many fights breaking out in the crowds as in the cage, due to the type of crowd they attract.

I don't recommend them, basically. Personally think they're complete trash that puts unsuspecting people in harms way for no good reason and preys on egotistical twits who don't have the patience, skill, or mentality to train properly so they take a shortcut to be able to say "oh I did a ufc fight."

A fights a fight. There isn't really a "doing it for fun" mma fight. So, you end up with either 2 untrained people swinging at each other and being no better than any 2-bit bum fight on a Friday night, or you get one ringer who's doing it to masage their ego knowing they'll get to smash someone up who won't give them a real challenge.

Just don't do it. Take the better advice given already and either find a real mma gym with some self-respect, or take one of the other options

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your instructor was reckless for suggesting white collar MMA in the first place. I agree with all the sentiments expressed here. I've worked as a cutman at some white collar events, and in a couple of cases I had to convince participants to withdraw because the parity of skill was so obviously lopsided that it was dangerous. If you're going to do a ring sport, treat the process with the respect it deserves and enrol at a quality gym.

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Ok, I have to claim ignorance. What in the heck is "white collar MMA" exactly, because I have not come across this concept before. Is it like MMA-lite? Boxercising? As someone not particularly trained in MMA, but well aware of what MMA fighting requires, I'm trying to understand if "white collar MMA" is just bad by design or it's just watered down MMA. If so, that implies watered down boxing, jujitsu, etc which might be decent training, but not for a fight. Does that make sense?

19. Dead_pool

FAQ – Ultra MMA

It's generally an eight week camp, and fight, for free, on the condition you sell a standard amount of tickets, so not free.

Grond likes this.
  20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Same as white collar boxing. The term "white collar" tending to refer to the collar of the person's shirt who is competing. As in they're a white collar worker i.e office job/lawyer/doctor/ basically not heavy manual labour.

A "Blue collar" worker might be someone with a trade, plumbing/joinery/mechanic etc.

Grond likes this.