what role do they play?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonestown9, Apr 27, 2003.

1. jonestown9

jonestown9 New Member

Reading all the recent posts that vaugely relate to Kata's has got me interested in how people view them.

I've always viewed Kata's as basic kinethsetic training rather then anything else, a way help ingrain movements, rather then being supposed to teach people how to implement the techniques. How do other people (or their schools) instruct kata, and for what intended purpose?

-jones

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

From the CMA point of view, some styles of Kung Fu can have as many as 30 or 40 Kata. In the west, we call them forms or sets!

Traditionally the forms are taught as a method of training different aspects. Some forms may be to develop footwork or breathing, others for Tendon strength and others for sequences of deflections and counter attacks.

Yip Mans Wing Chun for example has only three core forms, each more intricate than the last, but literally chock-full of techniques that can be applied.

Often, the many applications of forms in CMA are not spoon fed. The individual is encouraged to seek the applications for themselves, invoking the most important development, which is the ability to think for ourselves.

Visualisation during practice of forms, can prepare you to use techniques you would not perhaps ordinarily consider.

You can acheive all these things without the forms, and many people never get to understand or see the value in these archaic systems.

I personally find them thought provoking, and while I do like to train drills, do pad and bag work and pressure test, I know I still have many new thoughts to come, that will be inspired by forms that I already think I know.

3. morphus

morphus Doobrey

In CKD we use patterns - for practicing different combinations of techs' and as a cardio workout - prob' resembles shadow boxing (with kicks) than trad' kata.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We actually used to call it cardio-vascular, rather than patterns. Its a very good workout when you do it properly.