What Possesses People To Be So Stupid?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, Aug 5, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFmlP5CX0w&feature=related"]Girl Ruins Marriage On Game Show - YouTube[/ame]

I was watching funny video clips on YouTube when I came across this little gem. And it raised a few questions in my mind.

1. Why are people so stupid?

I know people are supposed to be really bad at evaluating risk. But why would anybody take part in that show? Is money so tight in America people throw their lives away on TV for a few thousand dollars?

2. America prides it's self as being the pinnacle of western technologically developed society. How is it possible for such a society to produce such dross? Surely we can do better than this?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

holy crap.

excuse me while i proceed to crack open my frontal bone in a frantic attempt to use my palm to splatter my brains against the inside of my occiput.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What the hell is this? :| A lie detector game show of some sort?

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I dunno which is worse, the woman for wanting to carry on ("I'm really not concerned about the money," MY FAVOURITE FRENCH **** she's not), or the show for asking questions that.. well, honestly, could that have had any other outcome? :/

I love that she still thought she's a good person after all that, though :p Or at least, answered that she did. The prize for shows like that is she gets anaesthesia before they conduct electric shock therapy :p

5. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

To be fair, our society rejected this dross. That show didn't last long.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

'Mericuh. The land of cinnamon flavoured dental floss and lemon scented toilet paper. Look how many people watch jerry springer. Look at the education system and you'll know why.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

That might be true, but it probably got replaced by something less crappy but crappy none the less.

I am convinced that there is a gene responsible for stupidity.

8. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Thats is no worse than Big Brother, cringe factor wise

Though a Dutch format origenally, iIthink you will agree it was very popular in the UK

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Jerry Springer? It really is. It's like the unholy love child of Jerry Springer and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How does this stuff even get on TV in the first place? I mean is there some kind of agency with a database of feckless greedy morons?

10. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I feel incredibly bad for the husband. That game show is horrendous. That last part when they brought her old flame was a disgusting move, but at least he saw her for who she is.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah, I just cringed at that point. It was obvious what he was going to ask and what she was going to say.

12. OwlMAtt

Television works the same way everywhere: people who may or may not know what they're doing put stuff on the air, and what people watch stays on the air. If there is trash on the television, it is the fault of the people who are willing to watch it. Hate the game, not the player.

EDIT: BTW, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is just a quiz show. What's wrong with that?

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well I'm trying to understand just what sort of person would volunteer for a show like that.

There's nothing wrong with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I was drawing parallels with the elements presented in the game show in the clip to illustrate that it goes beyond what we see on something like Jerry Springer. Not only do we have people blurbing out all their dirty secretes in life. It's now a "game". At least with Jerry Springer they make an effort to pretend to be there to help people.

For some reason when they're not even making the effort to pretend any longer it seems a lot worse. A whole lot more callus and shallow.

14. OwlMAtt

Well, on the show you originally posted, the motivator was money. As for something like Springer, you've got me there. I have no idea where these people come from.

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

People do get paid to appear on shows like Jerry Springer.

16. OwlMAtt

There you go. There are lots of people who will do anything for money.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's a combination of money, stupidity and celebrity culture. These sort of folk will do anything for money and for their time in the limelight.

Actually that's not entirely true, they won't do 'anything' for fame, because they won't work hard and achieve greatness to get their fame, they want it without having to put any effort into it and shows like this give it to them.

Kids no longer say 'I want to be a pop star/astronaut/brilliant athlete' etc, they say 'I want to be a celebrity/famous'. And they want to do it without having to work for it. So the more stupid types go on these shows.

I hate 'celebrity' culture with a passion. It gives publicity to idiots with no talent who've never had to work hard for their 'fame' and it gives completely the wrong message to impressionable youngsters! :mad:

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

People think Idiocracy is a comedy. It's a documentary.

19. OwlMAtt

Ooh, good point, Frodo. A lot of people just want their 15 minutes.

20. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Hell, a lot of people want their 15 minutes, but there are more dignified ways to do it that crapping on your husband on TV :(