What martial artists from Bruce Lee's time could have been better than him?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

We know many Bruce Lee's fans say he was the best of all existing martial artists of his time. But I really have my doubts. I don't doubt Bruce was a real martial artist ( and not just an actor ) and that he was in great shape. But I think assertions such as "Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist of his time" cannot be proven because I'm sure there were also several very good martial artists in the 60's and 70's in China, Korea, Japan, etc and maybe some of them unknown by most people all over the world.

What do you think?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He was a movie star. There are probably thousands of martial artists who were active in the 70's with better technique than him. None of them made as much money at the Box-Office though, which is why you've never heard of them.

3. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

I see. Maybe if take into consideration only the worldwide famous martial artists from the 60's and 70's, perhaps Bruce was the best. But if we compare Bruce with all the existing martial artists ( both known and unknown ) of that time, then in that case probably Bruce was not the best

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Gene lebell could knock Bruce out and feast on his entrails. It is known.

5. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

What I know from Gene lebell is that he taught Bruce judo techniques. But I never heard Gene Lebell saying he tested his judo skills against Bruce.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It is known Khaleesi.

7. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

I was recently searching some videos about Gene Lebell that have to do with Bruce Lee and I found this. What I'm surprised about the video is that it says Gene Lebell was never Bruce's teacher in grappling:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Iw7wbo_eM"]Gene LeBell was NOT Bruce Lee's teacher!! (Time for Americans to face the truth) - YouTube[/ame]

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bruce trained with Gene and the JKD relationship with Gene continued with Larry Hartsell and Erik Paulson - whoever made the video is an idiot

Source: http://blog.lindenhurstmartialarts....an-inosanto-talks-bruce-lees-ground-fighting/

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Muhammed Ali?

10. holyheadjch

Or any high level boxer, Thai boxer, Judoka, Wrestler from the period.

11. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

Bruce Lee himself acknowledged others. This is something that Bruce Lee fanboys either dont research or downplay. Bruce was good friends with Hapkido Master Ji Han Jae for example and Bruce considered him to be one of the most dangerous fighters on the planet.

There is an old saying along the lines of being wary of the people that the mainstream parade in front of you as icons and stars. Its the people that you may not have heard of much that you gotta watch for. In this case the multitude of other martial artists from that time period who were real life fighters and had higher skill levels.

Mas Oyama could have taken Bruce. Mas Oyama's younger brother who completed the 100 Man Kumite plus fought an additional amount of fighters could take him.

Hwang Jang Lee another movie star who has a background training Korean and Vietnamese military troops could put him in a coma with one kick.

Jhoon Rhee the father of TKD in America taught him to improve his kicks

Just a few examples of the top of my head. Theres plenty others.

12. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

There are two negative extremes about the Bruce Lee issue:

In one camp we have the Bruce Lee haters and in the opposite one, Bruce Lee fans ( I mean the ones who say for example "Bruce Lee was the best ever" )

I stay in the middle of those camps. :D

In my case I consider Bruce just as a good martial arts practitioner or learner but not a great master. Do you get the difference?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  13. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

Yea that sounds reasonable

14. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

We are talking about Bruce right in his death anniversary day.

What a coincidence :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. holyheadjch

He seems to have one of those every year.