what is your opinion on To-Shin Do

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by deathmetal, May 9, 2011.

1. deathmetal

deathmetal Valued Member

could it just be a sport or could it be something else?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well I don't recall seeing anyone describe Toshindo as a sport.

3. deathmetal

deathmetal Valued Member

dude,im just asking about your opinion what do you think about it?

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

sport usually implies some form of competition, so, something else :)

people are going to think you are 'deliberately' trying to start an argument

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You asked a rather specific question:

Hence my response.

Your question makes me wonder if you have looked at any information on the system.

As for what I think of it?

I've had no exposure as such to the system.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

From what very little I've seen of it I see nothing I object to any more than regular videos of ninjutsu. It's all pretty much the same to me, I try not to get caught up in the politics behind splits and whatnot. The benefits of being a very low grade lol

7. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Horse manure?

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Relatively young organization with a relatively eccentric leader. Certain other organizations which took a similar path are generally regarded as jokes, Toshindo looks a good bit more solid. Lots of theory but also a good bit of resistance training from what I can tell. I'm skeptical about some of the motivations and claims but some of their people have shown that they can move unscripted in a way that ins hard to find in other Takamatsuden orgs. This may be down to a greater affinity for cameras, or it may actually be that your average TSD school turns out more people who can move in the moment. I don't know.

My final thoughts on it are it's halfway between sportive progressive training and traditional hardline training (whether that's as informal as Hatsumi appears to be or as direct and straightedge as many Jinenkan teachers seem to be) and that it misses the mark on both. It's an okay balance but it would not be my choice.
    For the record, this is mostly speculation and loosely formed attitudes based on the internet rather than any direct experience.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't know, does it have rules or structured competitions? If not, then no. If so, then yes.

My brief google search only turned up stuff like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXLazxgJjk"]YouTube - 2008 To-Shin Do Festival Demonstration Montage[/ame]

Which, aside from prompting my initial reaction of "on second thought, let's not go to Camelot, tis a silly place," shows no evidence of rules or structured competition.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

deathmetal - Why do you think it's a sport? If we get your viewpoint that will be a lot more constructive.

I don't know anything about it to be honest, but it almost looks like Hayes was inspired by the Kyokushin kanku for his design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Or by one of those "ninja moon star" belt buckles from the 80's.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have no opinion on this.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

deathmetal....could he be a troll or is he something else?

14. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Do tell...? :evil:

15. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

not a sport. an Americanized version of Takamatsuden based on Stephen Hayes understanding and experience.

although not a sport some dojos do spar as part of thier pressure testing

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Found a pic.

[​IMG]

17. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Given their previous thread on being interested in joining the BJK, that they lost interest in very quickly, then this question.

I'd say someone is either;
    • Trying to start flames without being the one to actually ignite them
    • Wants to know, but can't be bothered to type To Shin Do, Bujinkan, etc into google
    • Is interested and wants to participate in the site, but has nothing of value to post
    • interested in posting questions, but not the discussions that come off the back of them

Just my opinion

18. deathmetal

deathmetal Valued Member

wow.....no need to be so harsh im just trying to figure out the differences :confused:
    Kobudo im just asking what is it no need to throw so much arrows at me

19. deathmetal

deathmetal Valued Member

well ok people ill just ask what are the differences between the both?

20. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

No arrows or harshness, and I hope you show over time that my opinion so far is wrong.

But to be honest, look at the questions you are posting, these are topics that have seen many flame wars, the answers to the questions are readily available to anyone who plugs the names into a search engine.

You haven't asked constructive questions about training methods within different organisations, or how they may differ,

'what is your opinion on To-Shin Do' etc, etc