What is Qi?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by gerard, Apr 13, 2004.

1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Hi my friends,

I would like to hear the different definitions you may have about Qi.

What is Qi?

Gerard.

2. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

chi/ki/qi is the energy that flows through every living thing. it's the energy that keeps you alive. everyone has chi/ki/qi.

3. totality

totality New Member

qi is a figment of your imagination.

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Hey wait, isn't that directly out of Star Wars.....

Use the force Guitarboy ;)

5. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

no

6. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

it's a frequent source of spam on this forum, that's what it is :rolleyes:

8. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I was waiting for it. It had to come eventually I suppose :)

From this point is my opinion.

Qi/Ki/Chi is energy. Our body uses energy for thinking, healing, digesting, movement... everything. We would'nt be able to do anything without energy.

We get energy mainly from food. Calories, fat... etc

We can train our bodies to keep and use the energy better, i.e through endurence training. Or we can train our arms and legs to make specific movements faster and more effective by controlling the energy used in such movements.

The most effective use of energy is by small and controlled movements. Such as flick of a wrist at the right position, at a precise moment, with a precise amount of force. This is how and why Qi, Chi, and Ki - energy, are so strongly related to Martial Arts.

As Qi flows through the body, so does energy (as it's the same). It can flow as kinetic energy, or as impulses from the brain.

Many people believe that Qi is a mystical, and magical force. I don't thinks it's true. When it comes to MA , all it is is kinetic energy. The same energy the body uses for everything. When is comes a MA such as Tai Chi, it's not as much the kinetic energy, but the internal controll.

EDIT: I just notice this thread was in the IMA section. Something I've not had much experience in. So I'll say again, just for the safe side ;). The above was my opinion. Correct if that comment on Tai Chi was wrong please.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yeah, you could put it like that. Or you could use modern, decent scientific terminology and not leave the world with the impression that you are going to murder them in cold blood in the middle of the night to feed on their 'ki' :D :D :D

10. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

MAP, while more progressive than most, still has its bullish conservatives. :D

One way I view qi is that your thought or intentions are yin, and your movement or actions are yang. Qi is what translates intention into action-- kind of like the "s" line in the yin yang symbol.

But everything has qi-- even people who don't believe it exists. :Angel:

11. totality

totality New Member

believing in ancient chinese mumbo jumbo is far from progressive...and while i hate the word "progress," i'd say seeking out actual evidence and not just believing in old stories is a true sign of moving forward.

science is progressive, not religion! :D

12. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Sorry if I disagree but science is simply the tool of religion. You believe (Religion) and you take action (Science). Thus religion is first and science comes second.

Anyway science is an insignificant part of Tao, if the human mind wasn't present science wouldn't exist.

Placing too much significance to a tool will divert us from the main objective: cultivation.

Gerard.

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Tell that to all the great scientists that had to hide there work because it went against religious thinking....

I'm sure Gallileo would be thrilled to find that out... Darwin too...

Science and religion usually do not agree.

Although overtime science wins (based on being able to proove there claims) and religion ad hoc's itself along ;)

*Puts on fire proof clothes*

14. totality

totality New Member

no need for fire proof clothing. AG owns this thread. chi is not real.

15. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

And Science has been dead wrong before on many significant occasions.
    It no longer is the yardstick of ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
    If you like to dispute this, Iwill give you a long list of instances.
    Western Science rejects what it cannot explain.
    There in lies the inherent limitation.

Soggy Cat
    Bachelor of Physics ( Hons)

16. gerard

gerard Valued Member

I can see that both of you are TROLLS!!

OK my answer for trolls (which is a lost cause anyway):

Religion: a subjective relationship to certain metaphysical, extramundane factors

Science: ability to produce solutions in some problem domain

You see, science is limited (human mind) whereas religion is infinite, universal, it puts the individual self in connection with the metaphysical realm.

However, religion doesn't imply following others (sectarianism) you can be religious without anyone knowing about it (like myself, oops! you all know now :cry:). I stay away from this kind of religion (sheep gathering together hoping for the universal salvation). I see it as a form of individual quest to understand the nature of our reality.

BTW, qi is as real as this writing otherwise you'd have been unable to read it :)

Gerard.

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Science never claimed to be Absolute truth, that was religion.

Science does not reject what it can't explain. It rejects what it can't prove to exist, there is no evidence of Chi that can be demonstrated in a lab. If there was we wouldn't be having this conversation.

18. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Chi is real. It's just not what most people believe to be.

It's just another name from another culture.

19. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

OK I smell an argument over semantics.
    Until you say you have a Tertiary Science education , I will not try to explain this one to you.

20. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Andrew Green obvious has not lived thru the days when acupuncture was placed in the same category as Snake Oil medicine because arrogant (western) medical scientist could not explain why stimulating accupunture points has a real effect. That all began to change by the early 1970's.