What is Ninjutsu geared towards?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I would say that the arts evolved in the direction that they did because practitioners were seeking generic movements that are applicable across a wide variety of dangerous situations

Specifically they assumed that your attacker is most likely to be armed

Moving your whole body off the line of an attack makes a load of sense when you don't know what your attacker has in their hands. Less so if you know he's unarmed for example

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A"]For the love of money - O' jays Full Version - YouTube[/ame]

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Trolling much?

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Would anything anyone said in this thread change your mind?

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I just don't understand the point of an average citizen learning how to wage guerrilla warfare in 16th century japan.

*drops mic*
    *begins to swagger away*

6. Dunc

I think everyone would agree with that

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dunc could. Mt opinion changed after that last thread I started about who the best to learn from. Seems like a few solid guys in a world full of crap.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The vast majority of the population think that about all martial arts.

Can I remind everyone of the rules for posting in this forum please. Junk posts and trolling are not tolerated here.

Mitch

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I was only trying to explain myself, and my initial answer to the question, while done in jest, is a reflection of my understandings of the style.

Granted though, there is a big difference between physical activity and quite a lot of what i've been told and seen said about ninjitsu, however, i remain open to being shown new ideas about the style, if they were produced.

10. Kingbedlam

Kingbedlam Valued Member

I think it's weird when people say that.

No style is "geared towards MMA". Some styles simply work better in the MMA environment than others for whatever reason. I think the issue with Ninjutsu and other classical styles is that they're simply not designed for modern day application.

That's why Judo happened.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

but the lessons still haven't been learned. it's almost as if 1886 never happened. :)

12. Dunc

Well Kano-Sensei wanted to convert jujutsu into an activity that was more socially acceptable to Japanese society in 1880's & it has evolved along these lines since then

I feel this is an important factor that often gets ignored because the people focus on discussing the benefits of sparring as a training method

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Because
    training with resistance > training without resistance

TBH I don't think most of us care or find relevant the impetus for change so much as that the change produced markedly better competence.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't understand you Ben. You preach exactly the stuff I would say if I could word stuff better. But then you do Wing Chun. I'm very confused by this :(

15. Dunc

My point was that there were 2 key changes that Kano-Sensei made and they are connected;

1 He increased the focus on resistive training
    2 He removed several dangerous / unpleasant techniques

Most people seem to conveniently forget to consider both these points and focus on one or the other

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

People say the same thing about me and JKD :)

17. Kave

Kave Lunatic

As you note, these two changes are connected. One of the prerequisites for safely training in a resistive manner is removing some "dangerous" techniques (getting rid of whatever is "too deadly" to train). People understand this, they just don't consider it much of a loss because without resistive training they weren't actually training these techniques, they were LARPing. The too deadly techniques were the problem. The loss of these techniques strengthened Judo, because now Judo consisted of techniques that could be trained in a meaningful manner.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO,

- training without resistance is "developing",
    - training with resistance is "testing".

You have to "develop" your skill first before you can "test" it.

For example, when you try to "develop" your

- "hip throw", the moment that you try to apply it on your opponent, the moment that he sinks down,
    - "foot sweep", the moment that you try to apply it on your opponent, the moment that he lifts up his foot,
    - "side kick", the moment that you try to apply it on your opponent, the moment that he jumps back,
    - "face punch",the moment that you try to apply it on your opponent, the moment that he leans back,
    - "wrist lock", the moment that you try to apply it on your opponent, the moment that he raises his elbow,

you will never be able to develop your "solo" skill this way. Of course, you can take advantage on your opponent's reaction and apply another technique on him, but that's "combo skill development" and not "solo skill development".

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Interestingly the Judo ruleset evolution isnt as clearcut as you might think, all kinds of things we're still legal for a long time since Judo was founded.

I'll dig out my history of judo if your interested.

20. Dunc

My point is this: By removing certain techniques and situations (e.g. weapons) the art evolves, pretty quickly it seems, in a new direction. Over time (a) alternative (perhaps less efficient) techniques emerge to replace the ones removed and (b) practitioners become less well equipped to deal with the aforementioned situations

There is, of course, a trade off as the removal of techniques, situations etc allows for more resistive training which has great benefits

Personally I think that finding a balance between the two is best (for my objectives)

I find it quite interesting to see how things have evolved in accordance with the ruleset and objectives of the style

eg Kano-sensei, who is likely an example of someone who understood both sides of the argument, retained many traditional kata for self defence

Hope this makes sense