What is Lau Gar Kung fu?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Rataca100, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The seasoned vet in Alfie Leiws vs the up and comer in Pele Reid....although the fights are "point" these boys actually give each other a lot of digs

Alfie was a Lau Gar practitoner at the outset too and still speaks fondly of his time there

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I used to compete in open tournaments during this period. People used to get seriously injured all the time. I think at one event I saw 6 people taken away by ambulance.
    Also points worth bearing in mind 1.Alfie killed a man in self defence and 2. Pele transitioned to a respectable full contact career

Hannibal likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Interesting to see that for the most part, those fighters are using a fairly square on stance, these days they seem to favor the side one stance for semi contact to get the quick points off the front limbs.

4. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Where's your God now?

5. Ben Gash CLF

Wow, he lost to Ray Sefo in his prime in his first K1, he must be terrible.

Hannibal likes this.
  6. Hannibal

Where's yours?

Your argument is absolutely idiotic - I mean literally some of the stupidest reasoning I have ever seen.

For every Loss you can find Pele has there are more wins - so is your moronic reasoning is now "it's proven only in full contact and only of they have never lost"

Literally too stupid an argument to even deal with

7. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I'm never going to let go of bashing Lau Gar/ freestyle kickboxing because it ruined my friendships. The IMAO circuit was disorganised and my friend couldn't fight because it was 'too hot'. Lau Gar hasn't been used successfully in full contact and side on stance promotes flinching/ the blitz lacks power

He lost ALL his K-1 fights

8. Hannibal

But was 20-6-2 as a boxer BEFORE he did K1

So is boxing "unproven" now genius?

9. Hannibal

These days that approach is favored because points are taken off for contact

If you look at the WMO it is much closer to the older days

axelb likes this.
  10. Ben Gash CLF

Not much flinching from that side on stance, and those blitzes are pretty powerful

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  11. Hannibal

Bet the farm you did that not Lau

Thats your friends issue not theirs

Yes it has

You mean yours does

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The main thing to learn from the advent of MMA is not "this is crap and this is good". That's a simplistic way of doing it although very seductive if you're after easy answers or validation.
    The real questions are "how does what I do fit into more open rules combat?" or "what support skills do I need in order use my desired main approach?".
    Some people aren't fussed about answering those questions as they are happy with what they do in the context they do it.
    For others they learn from additional systems, are honest with their skills and make the changes and training to get where they want to be.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Training Kung Fu in an MMA paradigm is AMAZING

axelb, Smitfire and Hannibal like this.
  14. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Yeah- I live near "The best club in the South" (I'm not going to name anyone) but if Lau Gar was so good, why has their "Chinese kickboxing" also got Ju Jitsu and Krav Maga techniques? They don't do Lau Gar anymore and have several students who are WKA and ISKA World Champions in pointfighting, light contact and full contact. If Lau Gar was so good why change it?

You can't be a world champion in both pointfighting and full contact as points give bad habits

Also, if "Chinese kickboxing" was so good then why do they have subcontracted Must Thai classes too. Is it because Lau Gar / Chinese Kickboxing's side stance exposes the sciatica and promotes flinching? Even Bryony Tyrell's Muay Thai record is majority losses and she has a Lau Gar/ pointfighting background. She's one of the best, if not the best, female fighter in Britain and an excellent grappler but she also does BJJ and wrestling

15. Hannibal

Ronki logic -

"If BJJ was so good they wouldn't need to add striking:
    "If Muay Thai was so good they wouldn't need to add grappling"
    "If boxing was so good they wouldn't need to add kicking"

moronic argument

16. Ben Gash CLF

Because teaching Muay Thai and Krav Maga open up new revenue streams for a commercial school? If I got an instructor's qualification in Muay Thai, I'd make way more teaching that than Kung Fu and San Shou.

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  17. Ben Gash CLF

Sport karate/kickboxing is a SPORT
    The tactics employed are the ones that will bring the most success within the rules and context of that SPORT
    Complaining that it doesn't translate into another SPORT without modification is like saying that trap shooting is no good because it doesn't translate to pistol shooting

David Harrison, axelb and Hannibal like this.
  18. Hannibal

Looks like semi to me...hey, now we can say Bill Wallace can't fight too

19. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

The Chinese Kickboxing syllabus contains Ju Jitsu, Krav Maga and Kali/Escrima techniques. If Lau Gar ain't broke why fix it? It's supposed to be a complete system.

And the Muay Thai is taught by an external coach. Again, if Lau Gar was so good why also have separate Muay Thai classes.

I'm disgusted by the state of Kickboxing in the UK; you've got hundreds of titles: WKU, WFMC, ICO, BKFA, etc.

I'd rather just find a decent K-1 club and pick WAKO, WKA or ISKA and fight on the Fast and Furious Card (or Chang Cup) as that's pretty big down South.

I'd also compete in BJA judo.

Or I could just do MMA instead of these individual styles as I already know grappling and striking. I enjoy MMA more as I can combine styles ( obviously not Lau Gar or freestyle)

20. Ben Gash CLF

How do you differentiate a Krav Maga technique from a Lau Gar technique? I mean seriously Krav Maga has pretty much no distinguishable techniques from Kung Fu or Jujutsu.
    Again, a Muay Thai class brings in a different group of students.

Hannibal likes this.