"What is aikido really about?"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Lanakin, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Keljian

Keljian New Member

first post (3rd kyu Aikido Shudokan australia poster) so don't bite too hard.

I'm a bit of a philosophical soul so here's my interpretation:

Aikido is what you make it. To some it is an art, to some it is a religion, to some it is merely a passtime, self defense or fitness training, to some it's a livelihood . To some it is life itself.

Beyond that I've been training recently with the idea of focusing Ki to a single point, that is the entire strength, breath and energy of the body forced into one small point where a lock is applied, or where a fall is made or whatnot.

I personally look at aikido as a way to balance my lifestyle, it provides a place where I can train (which is akin to meditation as I completely clear my mind when I'm on the mats - "no mind" - have even done things in trance on the mats from time to time like marathon runners) so in that way it contributes to my focus, grounding and fitness. In terms of the dojo it's also a social place, most of the people there are very friendly and welcoming, so it fills out a social circle too. I train to train, I enjoy working with people and it gives me this also.

I think to an extent it's very easy to get tied up in the philosophies of Budo and dusty theories that could apply abstractly to present time - eg The ancient art of war - Sun Tsu. That said, there is knowledge in them, and in the path of one's training I think it's important to learn the philosophy behind the art.

Ultimately however, I think the answer to "what is aikido really about?" is a personal one, that usually cannot simply be put into words, rather it is something to be experienced throughout the rest of the aikidoka's life. It will change and evolve as the person grows with the art. I think it can be safely said that even one single aikido class will change a person in some way and even that change, however small, will change the answer to that question.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. Keljian

Keljian New Member

Oh and if you ask a kid at the dojo what aikido is about they'd probably say "Fun" - which I think would probably be a good answer

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

An excellent answer ("fun"). I wish I had said it first.

Hey Dave -- couldn't cuts be avoided by putting a little lip around the sheath entrance?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Interesting reading; love is the essence of aikido?

Excerpts from the book The Spirit of Aikido by O-Sensei’s son Kisshomaru, translated by Taietsu Unno, published by Kodansha International, 1987

Pg 54 – “To think that aikido will make their children tougher and stronger does injustice both to their children and to aikido. Aikido rejects all forms of violence, justified or unjustified. Otherwise, we would be no different from the forms of martial arts in which fighting and winning are selling points. At the risk of seeming repetition, I want to say again that aikido is a spiritual path and its ideal is the realization of harmony and love.”

Aside: John Stevens told me, at a seminar in 2002, when talks of “just war” and Osama bin Laden were all over the news, that after O-Sensei developed aikido he was against all war, even war waged in the context of the Christian “just war doctrine.”

Pg 75 and 76 – “Master Ueshiba [the author’s father, O-Sensei] repeatedly taught: ‘Every technique of a martial art must be in accord with the truth of the universe. If it is not, the martial art will be isolated and go against the love-creating martial art of take-musu (literally, martial-creative). Aikido is take-musu par excellence. Martial (take) here means the heroic roar, the resonance of the body, the power of aum that resounds in the universe. ... The vitality of echoing of the body and the resonance of the universe nurture the subtle working of ki and give birth to take-musu ai-ki, the martial art that is love and love that is none other than martial art.’

"To the question of how one achieves the unity of the ki of the universe, with the ki of the self, their harmonious working and mutual response, the answer is through intensive training and practice. This makes harmony and love the essence of aikido. Both are at the heart of aikido. The Founder considered this to be the ultimate essence and the highest truth.”

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  5. ladystar

ladystar Valued Member

in deep gratitude..

;) Hugs again, everyone,

And than you Aikimac, for that's the point I have been trying to make! :love:

Blessings... luv, Jess
    :D

6. domidude

domidude New Member

aikido is revenge (that's our joke in the dojo).. aikido is good for the joints (loosens them up) ... aikido is playing like puppy dogs (fighting but not hurting)... aikido is smart... aikido is what I have close to where I live... aikido is one of the easiest way to keep fit... aikido is an illusion (of being a samurai)... aikido is happy (doesn't it feel good rolling on the floor?)... aikido is a very effective self defence system... ,,, and many more things. I wish I had more time to do even more aikido per week (got 2 * 1 hr only...)

7. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

I trained in Aikido for 2 years - my take on Aikido

Compared to other MA's it is very pure, in the sense that all techniques fit to specific principles. There is unity in whether you apply shihonage, the bokken or a jo. You do the same thing. Some MA's get close but none as close as Aikido.

8. Keljian

Keljian New Member

One commmon thought about this in our dojo that I forgot to mention earlier is "peace, love and pain"

9. Moridin

Moridin New Member

Why don't you read "The art of peace" (isbn 1-57062-964-1) published by Shambala (shambhala.com) It's not a big book, and a part of it is esoteric philosophy, but what what could be more eye-opening than the founders own biopgraphy and quotes?

There are more books(bigger) but this is a very good start. When u ask about Aikido on a forum, you will always get a large variety of answers. Nothing wrong with that, but why not do some research at the roots of the tree? In this internet-age, it's all in within reach of your fingers.

Try amazon.com for example. Good luck.

10. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

What is aikido really about ?

The answer to that pretty never ending question is...

"Whatever you want it to be."

11. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Too right!! (lol) The sign of a really good instructor is one who recognises that we ALL have different needs and approaches to our art. Aikido is the 'generous art' IMHO.

12. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Mate.. your cheque is in the post okis :)

Dave the "really good instructor" (lol)

13. Jayevan79

Jayevan79 New Member

AMEN to this...

14. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

I reckon it's not too hard to identify a good instructor from the vibes you get on this forum. Aikido is about sharing and few of us have money as our main motivator. If instructors pop up on this forum and I feel they can 'walk the talk', my own view is that they deserve support. Go train with them.

Aikido is also about self-discovery. Testing yourself. Testing others. Doubt if I'm unique in experiencing the weird synergy involved in hard training. The harder I train with someone the more we discover and the closer we become, even if we have beaten the poo out of each other. That's part of MA too. Fail to commit to the art or to your instructor and you turn an art into a 'hobby'.

Harmony ain't nearly as much fun as a good heated debate, though! :) :)

15. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

definitely agree that you can tell that there are some great aikidokas and some great teachers in these forums.

and absolutely agree that you need to teach yourself and others... after training in multiple arts, I feel that aikido has really taught me the importance of proper technique...

For years my sensei would tell me how to execute an "irimi-nage" and every time I would say "ok gotcha" I did this for close to 3 years before the irimi actually worked for me and I really understood what my sensei was trying to say.

throughout the years, I feel that aikido has made me understand it to be an art

best of luck to you all.. never stop training

16. INTERNAL BOXING

INTERNAL BOXING Banned Banned

Aikido is a martial art. I'ts about fighting and defending yourself If you study it and you can't use it then your doing nothing but rolling around on the floor and dancing.