"What is aikido really about?"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Lanakin, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes, you are right, in my initial statements, I should have been more clear that it was my opinion and not based on conclusive research. I tried to clarify that in my later post. I will try to be more careful about that from now on.

agreed

O-Sensei was very martially orientated himself. What I feel you are missing here >>>> IMHO <<<< :) is an understanding of how the body, mind and spirit interact in the Japanese culture. In western thinking, it is often thought that mind, spirit, and body are separate. However, in most Asian cultures, including Japanese, the mind, spirit and body are all connected and thought of as one. Therefore, you cannot talk about a physical martial technique without also taking into account the mindset or emotional and spiritual dispositions of the person. It goes WITHOUT saying in the culture. It is about perfection and clarity as a whole, not individual components of physical, mental, and spiritual.

So when I talk about Budo here, I am not talking about the way of war, I am talking in the sense of true Budo as in the hidden meaning of Budo. When I talk about love in this context, I am not talking about an emotional disposition, I am talking about sincere love, like sincere wisdom, sincere bravery, it is a virtue. I am talking not of the love of others but of sincere love as a virtue. And if I have that virtue, then sincere love can be a basic or essential quality determining my intrinsic nature. So in fact, it becomes a principle for me. Something that is an intrinsic truth that affects my decisions and actions.

If your martial techniques are acted upon with any driving force they will be stronger. If your driving forces contradict each other in your mind, then your martial techniques will become weaker.

If anything, we are talking about self-accomplishment. Aikido philosophy is more than anything else about self-improvement.

I, personally, IMHO, as for me, as I have experienced and concluded applying it to myself... In my opinion... have found that having done many martial arts for years, what matters most is what you have on the inside.

If what you have on the inside is strong, then any martial art, including Aikido, is never just a dance or social club. You have to look at what people have on the inside that will reflect on the actions they take on the outside, it is all related.

Good points, but I never said Aikido is primarily about love. I said it was about principles. Principles work together, so even if I consider Love to be the highest principle, it is not all of the art nor is it the most important principle at any given time. And I am talking about sincere love, which is a driving force, a motivation to take action, a virtue.

Not everyone is talking about the same things here, don't lump us all together, we each have our own interpretations. It is much less confusing when specific context is applied than to pull out statements like "Aikido is love" and disagree with them. Why not just ask for clarification and find the context of what the statement is about before disagreeing if you don't know the person making the statement? Get the context.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

If aikido is the art of HARMONY, I reckon it encompasses 'tough love'. You may love your kids and still punish them to protect them. Buddhism incorporates 'wrath' even in love. O Sensei borrowed hugely from all manner of philosophies but I've never read anything that portrayed him as a saint. He may have 'loved' all manner of people but I doubt it would have stopped him applying a bone crunching technique when called for. Love in aikido, IMHO, means teaching a set of techniques which are suited to the needs of your students. If that means pain and tears, that's OK in my book - harmony and love not a recipe for being wimpish - this is a MARTIAL art.......discuss :)

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I see your reasoning Wado mate however, I don't live in a Japanese culture and have no desire to live like, emulate or act the all emcompassing Bushi way of life. I am a European studying an Asian art, that doesn't mean I should forego any resemblance of my European (or more importantly BRITISH) culture simply because I wear a hakama and study aikido.

With regards to the "mindset or emotional and spiritual dispositions of the person", whom do you refer with this statement ? you, me or anyone in general who studies aikido ? If you are refering to anyone other than yourself, I'd like you to explain to me what my supposed mindset or emotional and spiritual disposition should be. (in your opinion) I think you'll find that an impossible question to accurately answer.
    What's hidden about Budo? there's accademic qualifications available in the subject within Japan.
    I have highlighted the essence of my point. Individualism, these attributes may be important to you but that doesn't make them an integral part of the art to anyone else unless they want it, and even then; the issues as you intepret them may still mean something else in someone else's eyes. Indeed you now focus your explaination singularly, IE on yourself and not as previously posted.
    I actually agree with this statement but for differing reasons, I don't need to share the values that you or others hold for my technique or deep understanding to be true, genuine or indeed strong. All one needs is to be true, genuine and HONEST with one's self (and others).
    Only if you agree with it. there are many philosophical beliefs in existance to day, some of which are nothing short of cult like, I'd suggest the leaders and followers of these philosophical groups would say the same as you are, so just because aikido has a set of so called philosophical beliefs, as free thinking adults, we must decide for ourselves if these beliefs fit within one's own set of moralistic values in relation to the physical art. Rather than simply accept them because someone else tells you that "they believe".

On a side note, it is always worth remembering that the beliefs seemingly so deeply held by many students of aikido were nothing more than a set of beliefs of one man (on a singular level relating to aikido) As it has been pointed out, the founder was deeply involved in a religious sect which influanced his way of thinking (naturally) however, the founder never stipulated that his students join his way of thinking or indeed needed to join the religious sect to study or indeed fully understand aikido as a discipline. It therefore bodes that one can legitimately forego many of the philosophical aspects of the founder (note: I said "founder" and not "the art") and still be enriched by one's study.

Regards

Dave

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for the discussion Dave.

When I am talking about mindset, I mean what is inside of a person in general. What is inside a person affects their physical actions. The reverse is true also, physical processes affect how the mind works. Aikido study may be a means to understanding this better, but it has nothing to do with Aikido, it has to do with the nature of the human form and who we are on the inside. It is not something that can be told to you and you will get it -- it is something that has to be discovered through life's experiences. There are similarities in mindset amongst all warriors across all cultures, it should not be limited by cultural conventions, it is developed from experience in the face of danger.

How do you understand mindset of a warrior? And I mean in general terms or as specific as you wish to be.

I express things singularly because I want to be clear about my point of view after expressing things more generally in previous posts.

What is hidden in Budo is the self discovery of what true Budo means. The path is vast.

If you keep focusing on what is opinion and what is fact, and what is individual and what is general, you just might miss something. If I present something from my experiences, I'm not going to give you the answers, it is about self-discovery, the process from which I came to understand things.

When people relate to what I say, it is not the exact events or facts, it is often that they shared similar experiences and they can see how my experiences can help bridge the gap between from where they are and where I am.

I don't have anything to prove, if you relate to what I say then it is because you understand it to be true for you too or can see how it could be true. If you don't believe it, that is fine. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else.

I want people to have the opportunity to discover things for themselves. I don't even teach Aikido, I teach a system of martial arts call Kajukenbo, one of the arts regarded as a street martial art, designed for the streets of Hawaii to be invincible. That was the intent.

Aikido training help me to understand many things, however, it did not sway me from training in Muay Thai, kickboxing, karate, kajukenbo, etc. -- arts thought to be much more violent in nature. The fact is that we are martial artists, not limited by one style or philosophy.

I will acknowledge that there is more to Aikido than I express, I tend to focus a lot on the side of peace and harmony from Aikido, and my interpretations of that.

Well, good points and I knew much of that already. But I see this differently. Aikido is Aikido because of the founder. What the founder expressed was the art is Aikido. As time goes on, things change so Aikido is always changing too.

The point I would like to make is that if you train in Aikido class and call something Aikido, it might not really be Aikido. It could be jiu-jitsu, it could be karate, it could be street fighting 101. As martial artist, we do more than study a style of martial arts, we can learn from anyone.

No one should define a martial art purely by what they do in class, people have to look at the founder and the wishes of the founder, along the lines of what you did in your previous post.

So I always take statements with a grain of salt... I don't make a big deal out of it if someone says that Aikido has gun defenses and ground fighting, just because someone is in Aikido and in their class they teach that. I know, from experience, that Aikido is part of what they do, but they do more than Aikido in training.

If I argue with them and say they aren't doing Aikido because Aikido doesn't have ground fighting, they might just turn around and say their class is different. It just turns into the same old debate over and over again. Aikido has to be defined by the founder, that is your starting point from which we add our own creativity and discoveries... the path is vast.

5. Dave Humm

You’re very welcome mate, just what these forums are for :)
    Ok, you've gone from saying that "Love is the HIGHEST Principle" in Aikido (later we identified that is your interpretation) however; you are now describing a much, much broader subject referring to the state of mind of a student. What you refer to from a Japanese context is known as Fudo-Shin - a state of mind which is not moved or distracted by anything; a flexible state of mind able to respond to various changing situations... And this is what I seek through the conditioning of my mind through training. - No mention of love or any aspect of that emotion anywhere.
    Well actually I have no need to "understand" because I've served this country for a number of years within the armed forces, served in both domestic and foreign theatre of operations and, I can tell you whilst I might have compassion (or not) for the situation which requires armed intervention, the ONLY thing of any priority is survival, survival of yourself and comrades.
    Not wishing to be rude but I think your statement is so vague it borders on meaningless, yes I see the generalism in what you write but "self discovery" isn't hidden, one just has to choose to undertake that journey, that said, just because someone may chooses not to walk that path, doesn't mean they are any less a person or indeed a martial artist. Personally I feel that we place way too much emphasis on the philosophical aspects of our art, rather than concentrate on solid hard training which almost always cultivates the right attitude and "state of mind". I also feel that we (westerner's) over
    analyse the beliefs of the founder, and whilst there may be truths in what he said and wrote, the translation between the Japanese and English language can and often is fraught with literal difficulties. Kazuo Chiba Sensei (my first Japanese influence) once said at an annual seminar; many a time, O-sensei would talk of philosophical aspects of his beliefs and even the they (the Japanese students) didn't comprehend, let alone fully understand.
    Wado, I'm not seeking "answers" to anything from within this forum, to do so would be foolhardy. I focus upon fact primarily because it is tangible, whilst I value opinion, in terms of this discussion, as some forum members will tell you, I have very strong beliefs regarding aspects of the philosophical 'side' to Aikido. Remembering of course that there aren’t strictly any 'rights or wrongs' with regards to philosophy however, whilst I also value the right to form and hold opinion, I do find the over emphasising and analysing of the philosophical aspects of aikido a tad over the top.
    Indeed this is the ONLY way in my opinion however your statement here slightly contradicts the 'definitive' statement which I challenged, if students are to discover 'things' for themselves, and do so without bias from others, it should be based upon fact rather than supposition. Misunderstanding and misinterpretation comes directly from the formulating of opinion which isn't based upon fact. Professor Goldsbury said in the Aikiweb discussion on this very subject...

he continues to say
    I think reading the entire thread will be very interesting.

Regards

Dave

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  6. Dave Humm

I have to agree with Kiaiki's sentiments. Harmony does not necessarily mean subservience or equality. One's perspective changes according to situation and although I fully understand what "harmony" means in relation to physical technique and, between one's mind, body and intention; depending upon one's own perspective, to be in "harmony" with [whatever] can mean so very many things, and is again wide open to personal interpretation.

For me, harmony will exist when I achieve consistent fudo-shin.

Ask 100 aikidoists what their understanding of the philosophical aspects of the art is, and I suspect you'll get 100 different answers. Although I concede the theme will be very similar. Philosophical beliefs are just that 'philosophical' because they can never be conclusively proved although there may be strong evidence of their worth. Whilst I an open minded enough to listen and absorb what is being discussed, I will always bias towards the physical over the philosophical, why ? One reason is because I've spent enough of my life being analytical at work, another reason is that I prefer to make my own mind up about what I ultimately want to gain or achieve from aikido, I have no desires to philosophies about the beliefs of a man I never met, about a religion that I do not follow (which greatly influenced those beliefs) or indeed over relate to an age long past.

Kind regards

Dave

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

LOL - never though I'd see fudo-shin crop up but yes, it IS the ultimate to which we should all aspire and is as rare as hen's teeth. I think I may have felt that feeling once or twice only! Sadly, fu-shin is much more common - sheer blind panic!

Our minds may be empty because we have forced all sense out of them in panic (fushin) or open and receptive as we are relaxed and able to respond to any external stimulus with pure spirit (fudoshin). Too much thinking is bad for you! JFDI :)

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Your replied in depth to my post, I read you response and I did read the other thread. I agree with most of what you have to say in that it makes sense to me... these few points I question.

Just a clarification, I somewhat feel you are addressing someone other than me with these comments. I have not been discussing love as an emotion in any context. I have been discussing love as a virtue or more specifically true love. But my clarification could be a moot point as many others talk about love and I am not sure in what context they speak of.

What I mean by true love as a vitue is that when fighting for survival it can be said that is self-preservation, but to take this and apply it to fighting to protect others does not always make sense, especially when you put your own life on the line to protect these others. There is something more than self-preservation on the inside, my interpretation is part of that which is on the inside is true love for life and others. That strength is what I am referring to. Now there are many ways to interpret this but what I have been discovering is that you either have this or you don't, it isn't something taught. However, you can work on it through adversity and self-discovery to draw on this strength in martial arts. To reach down to animal levels, with empty mind, and strength of action.

Call it mumble jumble, but in my context of inner strength, love is the highest principle. If I had not learned this in Aikido, I may have learned it somewhere else or I may have learned it differently, but I did learn it through Aikido and thus I credit it to Aikido. Context may not be everything, but it is very important to know the context from which statements are made and actions are taken if you are to truly learn from it. I believe we can learn from anyone, even people talking on forums such as this.

This is exactly what I am referring to. What is this human bond with comrades that soldiers are willing to put their life on the line in aid of each other? How can a martial artist or even more any person draw upon this bond in combat?

Is it something you can train? Is it something you gain through experience or constant exposure? Is it something gained through context of situation? Is it something you either have on the inside or you don't?

Lots of questions, but the results are quite tangible if you don't have it... if you panic or freeze in combat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  9. Dave Humm

I am addressing you directly and your statement and or understanding that "LOVE" is a principle of aikido.
    I am completely lost??, I cannot see any coloration what so ever between "love" either physical, emotional or as a so called principle in respect of "self-preservation"
    Wado, forgive me but have you ever had your life really threatened or placed your life on the line for others ? I'm afraid, IMO, your logic is flawed. I can assure you, as someone who's walked the streets of Belfast, and served on UN operations in the Baltic, "Love" has got nothing to do with the preservation of one's life or the lives of one's comrades. Yes there is a bond which develops between service personnel who effectively share the responsibility for each other's security and safety, but this isn't "love" of each other in any aspect. One might love one's Regiment, Corps or Country for which you fight, but this isn't connected with the facets directly associated with Aikido. Students of Aikido are not soldiers, students of Aikido are not Samurai training to "die a glorious death" One must make a clear distinction about the philosophy of the founder, and what that means in relation to aikido as a physical study. If you or anyone else wish to follow O-Sensei's beliefs, that’s fine with me (I feel I'm about to repeat myself on this subject) but, and this is a BIG but, people should refrain from imposing those beliefs upon others (ala your opening statement before clarification was made)
    And how does this 'love of life' manifest its self into a principle of aikido? Indeed I love life and attempt to live it to the fullest however; this isn’t peculiar or unique to aikido. As you may have already gathered, I'm a realist. Whilst I know of and understand (to a point) the philosophical aspects of the founder, personally I prefer to live outside of the notions of fantasy, and when all said and done a philosophical belief doesn't stop conflict.
    I have to agree. Having completed several very arduous military qualification courses I can attest that there is indeed 'something else' which goes on in the mind to keep the body moving and functioning however, lets bring this discussion back on line. You said "Love is the highest principle of aikido" Yet we are now talking on a much broader subject which STILL doesn't explain how love as an attribute (in any form) is a principle of a martial discipline. Now, if your saying Love is an important principle TO YOU within YOUR study then I hold my hands up and surrender this debate because, I cannot argue with something which is so very 'personal' however; if you wish to debate "Love" as an integral part of the art, something that every student must attain; then I will be happy to counter debate that 'till the cows come home.
    In your context maybe, but that does not make it an automatic principle for anyone else. And I confess I fail to comprehend how you draw the conclusion of "in my context of inner strength, love is the highest principle" I can comprehend "compassion" but not love.
    Ah... And this is where I would again challenge your notion of learning "it" from Aikido. Anyone with a desire to study or research the founder's beliefs could well develop the same opinions as you, and do so without physically studying Aikido, indeed if what you say regarding conflict, inner strength & self-preservation is true, then Aikido (or any other martial art) as a physical entity must walk hand in hand with the philosophical aspect for it to be truly effective, I personally know this is not the case, both from my service in the Armed Forces and elsewhere. I would also argue that unless you learned the philosophical aspects of "aikido" from the founder himself, what you have developed is an opinion/belief based upon 3rd, 4th or even 5th generation interpretation, each generation interpreting what they understand in their own way. For my mind, I would not fully trust a philosophy having passed through many interpretations before reaching me. Indeed I also hold the same opinion about Aikido as a physical skill.

Altering the subject momentarily, If I were told I was learning aikido, yet the instructor had little by way of direct exposure to the Ueshiba family (or any of the founder's principle students) I would question the legitimacy of the skills being taught as being accurate.

Back on subject...

As I stated before I've had the honour of training with several Japanese Shihan (Name dropping) m. Kanetsuka, Y. Yamada, S. Sugano, N. Tamura, TK. Chiba, Y. Kobayashi, S. Endo, M. Fujita, and S. Sugawara. As well as three legitimate European (aikikai) Shihan. C. Tissier, W. Smith, K. Cottier.

None of these instructors talked of "love" as being a principle of Aikido despite them answering many questions about Aikido and the founder. It is my impression that the philosophical aspects (which I accept must exist) are very much a personal integration into the physical study therefore, as I've stated earlier, one can forego these beliefs and still reach high standards of ability and understanding. As far as I'm concerned, the philosophy of aikido, and the skills of aikido are entirely separate, and merge seamlessly if and only *IF* the student desires them to thus, "love" is not a principle of aikido, but may be a principle of the philosophical beliefs which often accompany the art.

Regards

Dave

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The divine sword

Alright Dave, I've had to accept death as a possible result of my actions in the past. It often comes afterwards that I feel foolish yet happy to be alive.

Now I can see how my Aikido training has influenced my views on life along with my experiences. I can also see how this philosophy that I attribute to Budo from training in Aikido does not have to be part of Aikido if one chooses for it not to be.

But I question at what point can a person separate the philosophy from the physical skills taught in Aikido and still call it Aikido. How much can you take away, add on, or change and still have it called Aikido?

For instance, I know that some techniques taught to me in Aikido were jiu-jitsu variations, more for self-defense and destruction of the uke than blending or AI. I do not pretend that all Aikido schools teach those same variations of technique.

If you say that "love" does not have to be part of Aikido, that it is something extra that one chooses to add into training if they wish, then I can see how you are correct. Especially since you have examples of how love is not mentioned in the writing of O'Sensei as part of Aikido.

I can leave it at that, you are right.

However, I still see areas where the facts do not add up on the issue of love never being mentioned. I will reference pages 31-32 of "Budo, Teachings of the Founder of Aikido"

A lot of philosophy in the words above. Some might even take offense to the remarks about sport, and some may interpret the words in such a way to have religious significance. One thing, Aikido is not a religion and as for sport, a warrior may practice sport and still be a warrior.

Nothing in the above words even uses the word Aikido. It talks about budo and how the sword represents the warrior's soul as I see it.

However, Aikido was before it was named such, was named Aiki-budo. The roots of Aikido are strong with the philosophies of budo (true budo). How much of this philosophy can you take away or separate from Aikido before what you do is no longer called Aikido?

I don't know the answer, but it is something to consider that some of what people train in is more in the lines of jiu-jitsu or aiki-jitsu rather than Aikido. I usually say something is "based on Aikido" or it is something I learned in Aikido when I teach something from Aikido and integrate it into my lessons for the day. I try not to make any student believe what they are being taught is actually all of Aikido, especially if they just learn a few moves and concepts to be used in a fight.

But then again maybe I am just over analyzing it all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  11. ladystar

ladystar Valued Member

Hugs, Fellas!

Semantics.. ;)

What a wonderful, beautiful discussion!

Please, forgive this little noob, but since when is an enemy separate from any other?

And though I have not heard the word "love" bandied about in dojo or writings..isn't it a bit like the wind? We infer it's there, because of what it affects?

When practicing Aikido, is not intention equally as important as technique? And care of uke?

And is not breathe a foundation of it all?

What is that, that unites us as Aikidoists?

Hmmmmmm..seems I, too, have much to learn...and thank you for your teachings!

Blessings... luv, Jess :eek:

12. Dave Humm

Let me first of all say that I'm never going to argue, that Aikido (any aspect of it) won't develop the 'person'. Indeed any physical skill that requires the student to use his mind first and foremost, which additionally has a set of moralistic values attached, is going to 'educate' in some way.
    You have raised an exceptionally important question which relates to my statement about 'legitimacy' in my last post. Absolutely, at what point does Aikido stop being aikido when it’s been changed, altered or bastardised to suit many individuals over a protracted time ? I'm afraid I'm not academic enough to answer that question when we relate it to the moral or philosophical aspects however; with regards to the physical teachings, it is already very obvious in some quarters of the 'so called' aikido community, that what they teach under the Shomen of Ueshiba O-sensei is far removed from what actually IS aikido. Whilst I always attempt to judge based on fact, I can't help wondering if the physical aspect of the art have undergone such radical alteration by those who, for want of a better description, have made 'illegitimate' changes based on personal agenda, how have the philosophical aspects survived intact. Naturally I don't attempt to attribute 'change' for the worse to everyone, but my point is that there are probably more people doing their "own thing" than attempting to follow a mainstream path.
    Indeed. As an instructor myself, I tend not to teach variation in any form. This is because it is often very difficult not to inject personalisms into variations beyond which is naturally a personal way of doing technique. I've never taught aikido as a form of self defence, to me and the organisation I belong, Aikido is a martial tradition as apposed to self defence.
    Wado, let me be clear, there isn't any "I'm right, you're wrong" in this discussion, especially when we debate philosophy. We each hold personal opinions and beliefs relating to Aikido which influence what we get from the discipline. I have no problems with that.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.

Ironic as it is, the titling of your last post... "The divine Sword" is very apt. Yesterday whilst using my shinken for Iaido, I momentarily let my concentration lapse and, in stead of following my own teaching which is; when you know something isn't right, stop and restart safely, I simply continued... Wrong ! During the final part of my kata, having performed O-chiburi I went on to resheath (Noto) and sliced a 2.5 cm length of flesh off my left hand index finger almost cutting to the bone !!

I'm now left licking my wounds and feeling very sorry for my finger which, I was told at hospital yesterday, that had I cut the bone, I had a high risk of loosing the end of the finger due to complications often associated with sharp cuts.

</self pity mode off> :D

Regards

Dave

13. Dave Humm

Hi Jess, welcome to the debate :)
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, care to expand?
    Perhaps so, although as an individual I tend to stay away from statements and teachings which are open to multiple interpretation.
    Intention is a very large part of our (my) training. Our (my dojo) training mind is always considerate of the people we have the pleasure and honour of training with however, our 'martial mind' must always be likewise focused on the implications of the true purpose of the technique. To neglect our understanding of the martial aspect... Knowing what the technique will ultimately do... Will train a person to rely upon a set of skills with no purpose. Dojo aikido is often very different to technique applied (god forbid) in the street. This is primary reason why ukemi must always be of a very high standard. The higher the standard of ukemi, the higher the standard of technique which can be applied, the reverse isn't true.
    Kokyu is a conerstone of Aikido, no doubting that at all.
    Dare I say... A "love" and passion for the art ? :)
    As we all have Jess, as we all have !

14. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Dave - sorry to hear about the finger - my sympathies. Bet it throbs! You certainly seem to have tested that shinken pretty well! Maybe you should have redrawn your sword and done O-chiburi again to shake your own blood off! Health hint: take homoeopathic arnica montana and cut down the soft tissue damage. It works, honest.

When I studied Iaido a few guys had guys sliced that finger, usually at the base, on noto - even me! The daftest SIW I saw was a guy who leaned forwards and grabbed his blade as it slid out. Yes, he'd just bought a 440 stainless razor sharp jobbie that week and couldn't wait to show us - he did, and nearly lost 4 fingers! Strangely, he went back home and ground down the edge - once he could.

As to the thread:
    Even in O Sensei's time he lived long enough to be fed up with each of his students teaching 'their own' aikido rather than the Founder's. I guess it is natural. I feel very lucky to have studied very traditional Yoshinkan aikido techniques, to which our style added modern weapons and other training of a more general nature. However, I agree totally that there is a core of aikido to be learned (enough for a lifetime or two!) and anything else I regard as supplementary rather than 'new aikido'. I would put in a plug for daito ryu aikijujutsu here - IMHO it is a way of expanding upon aiki practice without corrupting it - the brief time I spent training in it certainly enhanced my understanding of aikido and helped with elements like posture.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sorry to hear about the finger Dave. I once put the tip of a sword halfway through my hand but I was lucky I did not cut any major blood vessels or nerves.

Take care of yourself.

16. Dave Humm

Cheers all. Just one of those things..

A wise swordsman once said... "The sword is deadly even in the hands of a fool" I am testamony to that (lol)

Dave

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

As to the first, I didn't know that an enemy is separate.
    As to the second, my answer is "yes" and "yes."

18. ladystar

ladystar Valued Member

*giggle*

Hugs, Aikimac, ;) and Dave!

I just would like to thank you, and everyone on this chat, for your honestly and openness-it's so refreshing!

Some have asked what I meant by "Since when is an enemy separate from any other? "

In some of the prior discussion, I read that "love" motivates us to protect our friends, our family, from an "attacker." That's why I asked.

To me, that opponent, who is acting inappropriately at this moment, is just as much my family as my family and friends are. As an Aikidoist, doesn't he/she deserve "protection" and "love," too?

Blessings... luv, Jessie

P.S. Dave, I'm so sorry..not easy to bear a wound. I'll keep ya in my prayers. Please, don't keep kicking yourself! We all make mistakes from time to time..I have a few injuries myself! :)
    :eek:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ohhhh.
    The great little yellow book and the beginning of "Dynamic Sphere" seem to say so, eh? I've had some aikido teachers who would agree too.

This raises a slight tangent: should a person take pleasure in the simulated death or injury of another human? If so, why and when? I'll leave it unanswered for now.

20. Dave Humm

From an instructor's perspective: I actively encourage my students to feel good about their advancement in skill and theoretical understanding, if that means they are pleased when they have an evening of good technique then I am pleased for them. I don't encourage egotism but at the same time I want my students to feel for themselves they are on their journey of aikido.

Now, "...take pleasure in the simulated death or injury of another human" Indeed an interesting concept.

During the lessons I deliver I attempt to make sure that each student knows what the result will be for a technique taught if applied with some intention on a person who has no concept for ukemi. This way they have both a sense of what they are potentially doing to themselves and others. I also try to instill a martial attitude which is both serious (understanding the implications of their actions) and yet relaxed (the general environment in which we train) so that we don't have some draconian "do as your told" dojo which turns out robots.

I also do a great deal of sword work to illustrate origin of technique and highlight the potential for injury (amongst other things - don't laugh at my finger injury here :) ) so, I hope that although students may go away from a class really enjoying their mat time, they haven't focused on "what we do has the potential to kill and seriously injure and I've enjoyed that" What they've enjoyed is the practice and their time. I think the two are very different.

Kind regards

dave