what is a real ninja?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Tsing Tao, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

This may seam like a pathetic question to many people who study ninjitsu ar simmilar forms of martial arts, but one might find it interesting with just how many people have a "ninja" misconception. i would like this thread to be a serios discussion on what you think a true ninja is.

2. hafer34

hafer34 New Member

I feel that too many people are too concerned with being the image of a ninja. A true ninja studies the art of ninjutsu because of what the art gives to you, like any martial art you study in order to protect yourself and others. I think its time to move past the black mask and gauntlets and bring this ancient art to reality. A true ninja protects his family from harm and helps his friends when in need. You study this art as a way of life and to better yourself. When your heart and spirit is given to the martial arts then you can consider yourself a ninja. There are no more battles against samurai, only a life threatening attack you might face someday.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

thank you finaly someone else who thinks the same way i do.

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I doubt it's someone who wears a black suit with "NINJA" written on the back in a chinese script whilst carrying various weapons, black of course, with ninja written on them.

I guess the idea of a ninja is that they wouldn't stand out at all.

5. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

i totally agree with the first 2 posts, but i still think tradition is very important. depends what type of person you are i guess.

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

you are right in the tradition aspect, but is the ninja tradition the same as hollywood tradition?

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

The art of ninjitsu is still practiced today, but practioners don't run around in ninja costumes throwing darts and poisoning people and the like. They have a unique, comprehensive system of strikes, jointlocks and take downs, the work with traditional weaponry, etc. If you think about it, being a ninja isn't that much different from being a kareteka-- its just a different tradition.

8. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

hee

Hee, look at my sig. :cool:

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Well same as someone does karate we call 'em karateka, we call someone a ninja if they practise ninjutsu.

Except that "Ninja" sounds darn cooler than "karateka" ;)

|Cain|

10. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

heh

Actually, the vast majority of people that train in Ninpo do not refer to themselves as "ninja". That's the popular consensus, anyway. ;)

11. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

is ninjitsu the only reason that they we are called ninja or is it deeper than that? i believe that it is not just the style of martial arts thet we study but the conduct in which we use it.

12. Rikimaru33

Rikimaru33 New Member

I believe with all of you guys but as someone like me i really like to stick to tradition because it seems that we are losing alot of it now adays. I don't take ninjutsu yet and i'm currently in taekwondo but when i see people at tournaments now adays it isn't the same. When you compare "Forms" now to the "Forms" then....hm...forms used to be the skill you had of the staged fight and acting like there is someone there...now its who can flip the most and do a really cool jump spin kick into the splits with 2 kama in they're hand. It DOES show they have great acrobatic and concentration skill but if i were to see someone go in the tournament and do a traditional form, the nice and easy beautiful graceful moves, i probably have more respect to them then the other guy, granted if they're better or not. So if you were to say what is a real ninja. I would say it is someone who studies the art of ninjutsu, granted whichever style it is, and takes the whole study of it to art and connects that art to they're own soul and person then they are a true ninja. Whether or not they are in all black with ninja painted on the back, if they have the self determination to ignore what others think and focus on they're own goal they are a ninja to me at least.

And remember ninjutsu is just one other type of martial art...therefore if you are a true ninja...you still have much to learn.

13. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

hee

*shrugs* Depends on who you ask. And its 'ninjutsu'.

Again, that depends on who you ask. Contrary to your claim, most of the high-ranking practitioners of "ninjutsu" do not refer to themselves or their students as "ninja".

There are only three ninjutsu ryuha that still exist: Togakure ryu, Gyokushin ryu, and Kumogakure ryu. If its anything else, it ain't ninjutsu. Now, Ninpo, on the other hand.... :D

Laterz.

14. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

very nicely put Rikimaru33. that is the exact veiw of a ninja that i wanted. I feel the same way as you. You have the veiw of real tradition and not hollywoods. Hollywoods tradition is what has caused this misconception of ninjas. and as you have seen and pointed out to be a true ninja or martial artist we have to realize that we have never realy completed our training we are still in the basics.

15. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

Actually, Hollywood was simply taking up the conception of the Ninja held by the Japanese since the time of the Meiji Era. Its nothing new.

16. Rikimaru33

Rikimaru33 New Member

thanks tsing, and my sensei has put it very well when you become a black belt that just means you've finished basic training, you don't fully understand that ONE art until your the highest possible, which even though on paper and tradition it may be 10th dan or higher, there is no end.

17. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

Very true again. My Sifu taught me that even though you may be at the top of one style it soesnot mean that you the best. to become the best you must know and be superior to everyone else in every kind of martial arts. this is of course impossible.

18. totality

totality New Member

yes, the whole ninja image has been completely destroyed. so-called practicioners of ninjutsu, forsaking the old traditions of flipping around and killing people!

today we true ninja have moved to using lasers.

i hope you all enjoyed that post :D

19. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Just a simple point to make. Contrary to popular belief, there are more than 3 Ninjutsu schools out there. Remember that only 1 of the 9 Bujinkan schools is fully a samurai ryu. The other 8 are either fully Ninjutsu or have roots in Ninjutsu. Take care, all.

20. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

hhhhmmmmm i believe that Masaaki Hatsumi put it very well "Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi) in the days of old most ninja were peasants and farmers, some of them were ronin samuria, but one fact still remained, there was something evil in the hearts of men to make an art as powerfull as this and most arts have that history to them.. to me my understanding of being a "ninja" is knowing that i will never have to use my art... but when i do its to protect and only to protect (myself, my family, my loved ones) and that go's for any art if you can do that then you are truly "ninja".. :)